[SFGP] Greenzine - Welcome back on June 23, Happy Juneteenth and Pride!

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Jun 18 12:21:01 PDT 2021

June 18, 2021

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    Happy Juneteenth!  Greens welcome the federal recognition of
Juneteenth, the oldest national celebration of the end of slavery in
the US.  At the same time, we'll continue to fight for more material
victories, such as defunding the police and military, a Green New
Deal, and free healthcare, housing, and education for all.

    We also wanted to wish everyone a Happy Pride month!  Although
we'll miss doing our traditional voter outreach this year at the Civic
Center, we'll discuss at next week's meeting what other outreach events
we'll be able to participate in.

    Finally, thanks to the high vaccination rates and low COVID
prevalence in SF, we're happy to be able to safely welcome you all
back to in-person meetings!  We'll be meeting at our office in the
Redstone Building in the Mission.  Details and agenda items are below:

*===========================*

What:  SF Green Party Monthly Meeting
Where:  Redstone Bldg (2940 16th Street, near South Van Ness) #301, SF
When:  Wed, June 23, 7-9 pm

We're returning to in-person meetings in June!

Agenda:
* Mask protocol - see below
* Intros
* Discussion with "Recall School Board" campaign leaders
* Planning - What outreach / events should we do to grow our
  membership this Summer?
* KPFA update - Rich
* GPCA online plenary report-back - Barry
* Decisions on 4 GPCA online votes.  SF casts our online
  votes in GPCA elections in proportion to the preferences
  of our active membership.  Please read about the 4 elections
  in advance, here:
  https://int-cagreens.nationbuilder.com/sga_vote_216_to_220_6_2021

Mask protocol: since we don't know in advance who might be coming to
the meetings, the CC's suggested protocol will be to ask at the
beginning if everybody present is fully vaccinated, and if so, masks
would be optional.  If anybody is not vaccinated, we would all wear
masks during the meeting.

Every 4th Wednesday the SF Green Party meets to discuss issues of
concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse events, plan outreach
and more!  Everyone welcome.  All meetings are wheelchair accessible.
To make a presentation or gain the SFGP endorsement of events and
issues, please contact our SFGP County Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

*===========================*

What:  KPFA election
Where:  online, for KPFA members
When:  now through July 7

For Greens who are members of our local Pacifica radio station, KPFA,
we've endorsed a NO vote on the proposed new Pacifica bylaws.  If you
are KPFA member, you should have gotten a ballot by email on June 7,
or a postcard in the mail.

More info is on our website:
https://sfgreenparty.org/endorsements/96-endorsement-against-new-kpfa-bylaws
and here is the article on Greenbaiting that we linked to:
https://sfbayview.com/2021/05/march-madness-mccarthyism-at-kpfa/

*===========================*

Below are some more online events -- as before, almost all of them are
free.  (The listed times are the local Pacific time zone times).

Sat, 6/19, 8:30 am -- George Floyd’s Legacy -- A moment of remembrance
and an insight into the George Floyd Foundation underscoring the
importance of racial equity -- Shareeduh Tate and Tera Brown, members
of the Floyd family, present this moment of remembrance and an update
on the George Floyd Foundation initiatives. Moderated by Tezlyn
Figaro, political consultant and senior Advisor for the George Floyd
Foundation
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/george-floyds-legacy-registration-154760176855?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

Sat, 6/19, 10 am -- Detroit Public Library Author Series Presents:
Annette Gordon-Reed -- Weaving together American history, dramatic
family chronicle, and searing episodes of memoir, Annette
Gordon-Reed’s On Juneteenth provides a historian’s view of the
country’s long road to Juneteenth, recounting both its origins in
Texas and the enormous hardships that African-Americans have endured
in the century since, from Reconstruction through Jim Crow and beyond
-- Annette Gordon-Reed won the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book
Award for The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family.  Her other
books include Race on Trial: Law and Justice in American History and a
biography of Andrew Johnson, and with Peter S. Onuf she co-authored
Most Blessed of the Patriarchs: Thomas Jefferson and the Empire of the
Imagination. The Carl M. Loeb University Professor at Harvard
University, Gordon-Reed’s honors include the National Humanities
Medal, a MacArthur “Genius Grant,” and the Frederick Douglass Prize:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/detroit-public-library-author-series-presents-annette-gordon-reed-tickets-153858509945?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

Sat, 6/19, 5 pm -- Understanding Juneteenth: An Online Presentation --
Learn the history of Emancipation Day as a holiday, now commonly
referred to as "Juneteenth," and how it has been celebrated throughout
the US. On June 19, 1865, Union General Gordon Granger led thousands
of federal troops to Galveston, Texas to announce that the Civil War
had ended, and slaves had been freed. We want to make sure that with
the commercialization of the celebration we don't forget the true
significance and importance of the holiday. It is vital that the
history of Emancipation is not distorted or lost; this is why we are
hosting this presentation:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/understanding-juneteenth-an-online-presentation-tickets-151108915835?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

Sun, 6/20, 8 am -- Artificial You: AI and the future of your mind --
Can robots really be conscious? Can we merge with artificial
intelligence (AI) as tech leaders like Elon Musk and Ray Kurzweil
suggest? Is your mind just a program? -- Join Susan Schneider, author
of Artificial You, as she examines what AI can truly achieve -- Given
the rapid pace of progress in AI, many predict that AI could advance
to human-level intelligence within the next several decades, and from
there, quickly outpace it. Susan will urge that while it’s inevitable
that AI will take intelligence in new directions, it’s up to us to
carve out a sensible path forward. As AI technology turns inward,
reshaping the brain, as well as outward, potentially creating machine
minds, it’s crucial to beware.  Homo sapiens, as mind designers, will
be playing with ‘tools’ they do not understand how to use: the self,
the mind, and consciousness:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/artificial-you-ai-and-the-future-of-your-mind-tickets-151363978735?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch&keep_tld=1

Mon, 6/21, 10 am to Fri, 6/25 -- Reactionary Digital Politics:
Ideologies, Rhetorics, Aesthetics -- A five-day series of
interdisciplinary conversations about online politics, right-wing
populism and reactionary ideologies -- 6/21: Reactionary Ideas and
Ideologies, Online & Off; 6/22: Mapping Online Extremism & the Far
Right; 6/23: Reactionary Rhetorics & Aesthetics; 6/24: Reactionary
Politics and Digital Platforms; 6/25: In Conversation with Whitney
Phillips and Quinn Slobodian -- Phillips is co-author of You Are Here:
A Field Guide for Navigating Polarized Speech, Conspiracy Theories,
and Our Polluted Media Landscape; and Slobodian is author of
Globalists: The End of Empire and the Birth of Neoliberalism and the
co-editor of Nine Lives of Neoliberalism -- Please see the Eventbrite
page for more descriptions and participant bios:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/reactionary-digital-politics-ideologies-rhetorics-aesthetics-tickets-151954763789?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch&keep_tld=1

Mon, 6/21, 10:30 am -- William Blake vs the World, with John Higgs --
Join us for a wild journey through culture, science, philosophy and
religion to better understand the mercurial genius William Blake in
the twenty-first century. Blake famously experienced visions, and it
is these that shaped his attitude to politics, sex, religion, society
and art. Thanks to the work of neuroscientists and psychologists, we
are now in a better position to understand what was happening inside
that remarkable mind, and gain a deeper appreciation of his
brilliance. His timeless work, we will find, has never been more
relevant -- In his book and talk, cultural historian and novelist John
Higgs will return to a world of riots, revolutions and radicals,
discuss movements from the Levellers of the sixteenth century to the
psychedelic counterculture of the 1960s, and explore the latest
discoveries in neurobiology, quantum physics and comparative
religion. Higgs's previous books include: The KLF, Stranger Than We
Can Imagine, Watling Street, and The Future Starts Here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/william-blake-vs-the-world-john-higgs-tickets-153509128937?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch&keep_tld=1

Mon, 6/21, 10:30 am -- How Empire Turned People into Patients: Big
Pharma's Early Modern Roots -- During the eighteenth century, trends
in overseas trade, enslaved labour, and colonial warfare hastened a
turn toward viewing individuals as interchangeable patients who could
be targets of similar medicines. Before germ theory, antibiotics, or
x-rays—before so much of what people think makes medicine “modern”—a
key part of how we relate to our bodies was reshaped by the exigencies
of the early modern British empire. Drawing on historical examples
from my book, Merchants of Medicines, this lecture traces the
emergence of an expectation that people could be interchangeable
patients from the late seventeenth century to the ramifications of
such an idea in today’s “big pharma.” -- Zachary Dorner is a historian
and an Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of Maryland
(USA), and author of Merchants of Medicines: The Commerce and Coercion
of Health in Britain’s Long Eighteenth Century:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-empire-turned-people-into-patients-big-pharmas-early-modern-roots-tickets-143984189587?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch&keep_tld=1

Mon, 6/21, 2:30 pm -- End Poverty Action: National Poor People’s &
Low-Wage Workers One Year Campaign Kick-Off -- Join our virtual rally
on June 21st, when the Poor People’s Campaign will launch a one year
campaign fighting forward every day against poverty and other systemic
ills towards a massive, generationally-transformative Moral March on
Washington and Poor People’s & Low-Wage Workers’ Assembly in one year
in June 2022. We are demanding of our government a Third
Reconstruction in America that addresses poverty and low wages from
the bottom up, as well as systemic racism, voter suppression, health
care access, and other critical human rights issues. Drawing on the
transformational history of the First Reconstruction following the
Civil War and the Second Reconstruction of the civil rights struggles
of the 20th century, the Third Reconstruction is a revival of our
constitutional commitment to establish justice, provide for the
general welfare, end decades of austerity, and recognize that policies
that center the 140 million people living in poverty or with low wages
in this nation are also good economic policies that can heal and
transform the nation:
https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2021/06/12/18843166.php

Tue, 6/22, 11 am -- William Thompson Forum: Eve Olney on "The Living
Commons: Reconfiguring the Social for Unknown Futures" -- The Living
Commons is a holistic, social and ecological living, working and
learning scheme with a focus on aiding the economic and culturally
disadvantaged. It is informed by Murray Bookchin’s concept of
communalism/libertarian municipalism; Cornelius Castoriadis’s ‘project
of autonomy’ as an alternative ‘social imaginary’; and Silvia
Federici’s challenges to the patriarchy. This talk explores the
project’s conceptual framework, past and current developments, and
objectives around social change -- Olney is an artist, activist,
educator and researcher. Her latest essays can be found in
Passepartout’s issue 40, ‘New Infrastructures’ (2021) and the book
Enlightenment and Ecology: The Legacy of Murray Bookchin in the 21st
Century (2021):
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/william-thompson-forum-tickets-148062772739?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch&keep_tld=1

Wed, 6/23, 5 pm -- The Sea Is Rising and So Are We: A Discussion with
PM Press Climate Authors -- Participate in a dialogue on taking
climate action from PM Press authors: Cynthia Kaufman, author of The
Sea is Rising and so Are we: A Climate Justice Handbook; Jeremy
Brecher, who has three books on the climate with PM Press, the most
recent of which is Against Doom: A Climate Insurgency Manual; and
Eddie Yuen, co-author of Catastrophism: The Apocalyptic Politics of
Collapse and Rebirth -- The Sea is Rising and So Are We is an
invitation to get involved in the movement to build a just and
sustainable world in the face of the most urgent challenge our species
has ever faced. The book explains how to engage in productive
messaging that will pull others into the climate justice movement,
what you need to know to help build a successful movement, and the
policy changes needed to build a world with climate justice:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-sea-is-rising-and-so-are-we-a-discussion-with-pm-press-climate-authors-tickets-156180019643?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

Thu, 6/24, 5:30 am -- Crafting Worlds in Common -- Craftspace and
Crafting the Commons Research Network warmly invite you to attend
'Crafting Worlds in Common', a half day symposium followed by a guided
virtual tour of We are Commoners exhibition -- Keynote speaker:
Professor Peter Linebaugh, author of: The Magna Carta Manifesto:
Liberties and Commons for All; and Stop, Thief!  The Commons,
Enclosures, and Resistance -- Key contributor: Torange Khonsari , a
researcher in the field of Cultural and Civic Commons -- The keynote
will be followed by four panel discussions on the themes of: Searching
for the commons, Commoning in an individualised world, Creating
commons and Common futures -- Recently, the idea of the commons has
made a comeback in the humanities and the social sciences, as well as
in contemporary forms of activism, and has gathered traction both as a
way of imagining ecological and political futures, and of finding ways
to live in an increasingly privatised and austerity-blighted world.
At the same time, an array of community-oriented craft initiatives
that draw on the politics of the commons have emerged, including
makerspaces, online networks and repair shops. Enabling peer-to-peer
exchange of knowledge, tools and materials, they disrupt industrial
capitalist production and resist the individualism of intellectual
capital and consumer culture:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/crafting-worlds-in-common-tickets-156905477507?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

Thu, 6/24, 11 am -- Murray Bookchin: The Ecology of Freedom -- A
discussion of Murray Bookchin's theory for the way to a sane,
sustainable and ecological future. The Ecology of Freedom is
indispensable reading for anyone who's tired of living in a world
where everything is an exploitable resource -- With Debbie Bookchin, a
long time journalist and author who is currently active in the
municipalist movement and in the Emergency Committee for Rojava; Dan
Chodorkoff, a cultural anthropologist who specializes in urban
anthropology and utopian studies, and the co-founder of the Institute
for Social Ecology with Murray Bookchin in 1974; and David Wengrow,
professor of comparative archaeology at the UCL Institute of
Archaeology, who, with David Graeber, co-authored many articles and
their forthcoming book The Dawn of Everything, which will be published
in 2021:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/murray-bookchin-the-ecology-of-freedom-tickets-158900887833?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch&keep_tld=1

Thu, 7/1, 10 am -- Social Guarantee Launch -- Come and join us as we
discuss why we need a Social Guarantee!  The Social Guarantee
enshrines every person’s right to life’s essentials: education, health
and social care, a decent home, childcare, nutritious food, clean air
and water, energy, transport and access to the internet. For this to
happen, all people must have access to collectively provided services
that meet their needs, as well as to a fair living income -- With Ann
Pettifor, economist and author of The Case for The Green New Deal;
Kate Raworth, economist and creator of Doughnut Economics; Georgia
Gould, Leader of Camden Council; and Chaitanya Kumar, Head of
Environment and Green Transition at the New Economics Foundation:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/social-guarantee-launch-tickets-158078327533?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch&keep_tld=1