[SFGP] Greenzine - Statewide Green Candidates, Oppose School Board Recall

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Jan 28 08:42:58 PST 2022

January 28, 2022

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    Voting by mail is underway in the School Board recall election,
going through Election Day on Feb 15.  The Green Party has endorsed NO
on recalling all three Board members.  Our statement explaining our
reasoning is at the end of this newsletter, so please share with
others.  It is also on our website, here:
  http://sfgreenparty.org/endorsements/99-school-board-recall-2022-endorsements

    We will be doing precinct walking with the SF Berniecrats for the
next several weekends to get out the vote against the recall.  Please
see our Twitter feed for details.  Here are several locations this weekend:
* Saturday 11 am - West Sunset Playground (39th Ave and Ortega)
* Sunday 11 am - Joseph Lee Rec Center (3rd St and Oakdale)

    This Saturday, we'll also be gathering signatures for the "Left
Unity Slate" of candidates for this year's statewide elections:

What:  Signature Gathering event for Statewide candidates
Where:  Medicine for Nightmares, 3036 24th St, SF 94110
When:  Sat, Jan 29, 1-5 pm

The Luis Rodriguez for Governor Campaign is hosting an event this
weekend in SF to gather signatures and donations:
  https://www.facebook.com/events/1959225700945773

If you can't make the event but would still like to help gather
signatures through Feb 9, email us at cc at sfgreens.org.

The Green Party and the Peace and Freedom Party are jointly fielding a
"Left Unity Slate" for the 2022 statewide races.  This cooperative
strategy increases the likelihood that both parties will be able to
reach 2% of the vote in at least one statewide race, which is the
minimum threshold needed to retain ballot status.

These groundbreaking Left Unity Slate candidates are listed below,
starting with Luis Rodriguez, the author of 16 books, a former Poet
Laureate of Los Angeles, and our 2014 Governor candidate.  For 5
weeks, starting in early January, YOU can help our candidates gather
signatures for their campaigns!  These "signatures-in-lieu of the
filing fee" will help eliminate those fees, which range from $3,278 to
$4,371 per candidate, depending on the office.  Each voter can sign
forms for all of the candidates below:

Luis Rodriguez (Green), Governor
Mohammad Arif (Peace and Freedom), Lt. Governor
Gary Blenner (Green), Secretary of State
Laura Wells (Green), Controller
Dan Kapelovitz (Green), Attorney General
Meghann Adams (Peace and Freedom), Treasurer
Nathalie Hrizi (Peace and Freedom), Insurance Commissioner
Marco Amaral (Decline to State), State Superintendent of Public Instruction
John Parker (Peace and Freedom), US Senate

*===========================*

SF Green Party Statement on School Board Recall

The School Board Recall Election is happening between now and Election
Day, February 15.  If you are voting by mail, your ballot must be
postmarked on or before February 15.  You can also vote in person on
Election Day, or beforehand at City Hall.

Three members of the School Board, Alison Collins, Gabriela López, and
Faauuga Moliga, are up for recall.  Although López is the only one of
the three who previously earned our endorsement, the SF Green Party
has endorsed a "NO" vote on recalling all three of the Board members
in this election (i.e., we support keeping them in office through the
next regular election in November 2022).

If one or more of the Board members is recalled, the City Charter
gives Mayor Breed the authority to fill each vacancy with one of her
own hand-picked candidates.  Greens don't want our public schools to
be subject to the same corruption as we see at other City departments
run by the Mayor, such as the Department of Building Inspection,
Recreation and Parks, and the MTA (which operates Muni).

As we wrote in our School Board endorsements in 2020, concerning our
non-endorsement of Jenny Lam
(http://sfgreenparty.org/endorsements/95-november-2020-endorsements):

  Our biggest concern with Lam is not the policies she supports, but
  rather her close ties to the Mayor's office.  The School Board is
  supposed to be an independent body from the rest of SF government,
  so having a Board member who directly reports to the Mayor is very
  problematic.

Having four such appointees would give the Mayor the majority of the
seven seats on the School Board, allowing her to spend bond money and
give out contracts to Machine-friendly companies without any public
oversight.

Greens have long advocated for a charter amendment that would allow
voters to choose replacements (using ranked choice voting) on the same
ballot as the recall election.  Until that happens, voters who the
Mayor does not listen to can not meaningfully exercise our
constitutional right to recall elected officials.  Because the Mayor
is the only person who gets to choose replacements for elected
officials who are recalled, these elections (other than recalling the
Mayor herself) can only benefit the Mayor and her supporters.

This is not to say that Greens are completely happy with the
performance of the current members of the School Board.  In 2020, we