[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 1/28-2/3

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Jan 27 21:58:29 PST 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 1/28/06 - 2/3/06

NEWS:
  - 1/16: Greens Urge Americans to Speak Out Against 'Ideologue' Alito's
Confirmation
  - 1/24: Green Pages Winter 2005
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1439)
  - 1/24: Iceland the First Country to Try Abandoning Gasoline
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1440)
  - 1/26: Green Party Member & Activist Charlene Smythe Heads to the
World Social Forum
  - 1/26: US Greens to Attend the World Social Forum in Caracas
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1438)
  - 1/26: Ralph Nader's Mother passes away at 99
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1442)
  - 1/26: Voter-Owned Mayoral Elections Looks Like Sure Thing
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1441)

EVENTS:
  - 1/28: Bird-Dog Hillary Clinton!
  - 2/2: Aimee Allison's Campaign Kick-off Party
  - 2/6: Campaigns and Candidates Working Group
  - 2/8: SFGP County Council
  - 2/9: FIG Open House-Pot Luck, All Green Women Invited
  - 2/9: FILM: Waging a Living
  - 2/15: SFGP General Membership Meeting

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Filing Period for County Council Candidates 2/13-3/10 (for details,
see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1435)
  - 2006 General Membership Survey
  - Public Financing for the Mayor's Race: We Need Your Help!
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Big Box Mart (http://www.jibjab.com, click Big Box Mart under JibJab
Classics)

NEWS:

1/16: Greens Urge Americans to Speak Out Against 'Ideologue' Alito's
Confirmation

Greens listed the following reasons Alito should not be confirmed:

  - His intention to "increase the power of the executive to shape the
law" (his words). In the past, he advised the Reagan Administration on
strategies for evading Congress's oversight and ignoring laws it
doesn't agree with, and favoring a license for the Justice Department
to install wiretaps without obtaining a warrant.

  - His apparent hostility towards African Americans and favoritism for
corporations, as evidenced by his judicial record.

- His narrow interpretation of the U.S. Constitution's Commerce Clause,
which might threaten numerous environmental laws, especially those
protecting wetlands and waterways that affect the ecology of several
states.

  - He favors restrictive ballot access laws hostile to political
parties outside of the Democratic-Republican mainstream; namely us
Greens, among others.

---------

1/26: Green Party Member & Activist Charlene Smythe Heads to the World
Social Forum

Green Party County Council member and Bayview resident Charlene Smythe
is excited to be joining thousands of people from around the world
attending this year's World Social Forum in Venezuela.  This is her
first trip abroad.

Having seen poverty in the United States, Charlene is eager to see what
it's like in another country, and how Venezuela is using its oil-rich
resources to help all its people, unlike the United States where only
greedy executives benefit. She also intends to share organizing skills
and tools with other activists at the Forum, and is curious what impact
the Green Party has on other countries.

==============================

EVENTS:

1/28: Bird-Dog Hillary Clinton!

WHEN:
Saturday January 28
Starts 6:00PM

WHERE:
Nob Hill Masonic Center
1111 California Street (between Jones and Taylor Streets), immediately
opposite Grace Cathedral, San Francisco

CONTACT:
codepinkbayarea at riseup.net

DETAILS:
Fed up with Hillary Clinton's support of the war in Iraq, even though
she's supposed to a a "liberal" Democrat conservatives love to hate?
Here's your chance to protest! Join Code Pink, who will be wearing wear
large theatrical ears and pink gear, and say:

HILLARY YOU'RE NOT LISTENING; STOP SUPPORTING THE WAR!

Hillary Clinton once said: "Part of my job is being a good listener."

At the Masonic Center, she will be discussing "political image
makeover" with Jane Pauley at The Bar Association of San Francisco
Special Benefit Event.

There will be a reception at 7:00 PM, then Hillary and Jane will talk.

---------

2/2: Aimee Allison's Campaign Kick-off Party

WHEN:
Thursday, February 2
Starts 6:30PM

WHERE:
La Estrellita Café
446 E. 12th Street (between 4th and 5th Ave), Oakland CA 94606

COST:
$10 and up at the door – this is a fundraising event. Please bring your
checkbook and contribute generously.

INFO:
http://www.aimeeallison.org/

DETAILS:
Join Aimee Allison, community members, activists, artists, and friends
as we kick-off a campaign for change in the city of Oakland.

Aimee Allison is launching her bid to be Oakland's next City
Councilwoman from District 2, and she would like you to come celebrate
and organize with her.

---------

2/6: Campaigns and Candidates Working Group

WHEN:
Monday, February 6
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
This meeting will focus on developing candidate questionnaires for
Green candidates on the June 6, 2006 ballot: Governor, Lt. Governor,
Treasurer, Controller, Attorney General, Superintendent of Public
Instruction, Insurance Commissioner, US Senate, US Congress District 8,
Assembly District 12.

---------

2/8: SFGP County Council

WHEN:
Wednesday, February 8
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
We will discuss business items, finalize the active membership roster
for 2006 and set the agenda for the Feb. General Membership.

Please email agenda items to : cc at sfgreens.org

---------

2/9: FIG Open House-Pot Luck, All Green Women Invited

WHEN:
Thursday, February 9
Starts 7:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Bring your favorite munchie to share and join with the Women of the
Green Party to set our goals, speak our minds, and work together.  This
year is critical for us to have a strong, cohesive working group.
Whether you have worked in the Feminist Interest Group (FIG) before or
not, take this opportunity to meet other Green Women and set the agenda
for what promises to be a challenging time ahead.

---------

2/9: Waging a Living

WHEN:
Thursday, February 9
7:00PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
Bayanihan House
1010 Mission Street (at 6th Street), San Francisco

COST:
FREE FOR SOMA RESIDENTS!
$5-20 sliding scale
proceeds to benefit SOMCAN.
www.somcan.org

CONTACT:
call SOMCAN: 415/348-1945
Or see: http://www.pppdocs.com/walsynopsis.html

DETAILS:
Please join SOMCAN at this special community screening and discussion
of the documentay "Waging a Living."

This film exposes the truth about America’s working poor and their
daily struggle to wage a living.

Jerry Longoria, a graduate of somcan's organzing internship, is
featured in this film and will lead a discussion following the
screening.

---------

2/15: SFGP General Membership Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, February 15
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
So far, agenda items inlcude a decision about SFGP chartered
Neighborhood Groups making their own endorsements in elections.

Please email agenda item suggestions to: cc at sfgreens.org

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

2006 General Membership Survey

The County Council is conducting a survey of San Francisco Green Party
members to get your opinion on several issues to help us plan and set
goals for the party in 2006.  Results will be discussed at a future
General Meeting.  You can get a copy of the survey online at the
following link, and respond to us by email:

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1464

---------

Public Financing for the Mayor's Race: We Need Your Help!

On Tuesday October 25, Green Party Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi,
representing a broad-based coalition, introduced legislation that
could forever change the way politics is done in San Francisco:

With public financing, the public helps fund the campaigns of
candidates who can demonstrate a wide base of community support by
collecting a large number of small donations. In exchange candidates
agree to a strict spending cap, and to limit their private
fundraising.

The idea is to make politicians accountable only to the public, rather
than private campaign donors, and to ensure that all serious
candidates, regardless of access to money, have enough resources to
get their message out to the voters.

To make this legislation happen, please do two things:

1. Write or call the Supervisors to encourage their support (they need
hear this from as many people as possible); and
2. Ask your friends to do the same.

Sample letters and contact information for the Supervisors can be
found at http://www.voterownedelections.org/contact_supervisors.html

To learn more about the campaign visit www.voterownedelections.org or
call 415-596-5808.

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html