[SFGP] Greenzine: Monthly meeting this Wednesday, events this week

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Sat Jan 23 14:09:48 PST 2016

January 23

    Please join us at our monthly meeting for January, this Wednesday,
as well as important meetings at City Hall this Tuesday and Thursday
(see announcements below).

What: Green Party Monthly Meeting
Where: Redstone Building, 2940 16th Street #302, San Francisco, CA
When: Wed, Jan 27, 7-9 pm

Agenda:
  * Announcements, including County Council elections (10 min)
  * Planning voter outreach for 2016 (10 min)
  * Decisions, Green Party of California (10 min)
    - Who gets access to the Green presidential primary ballot?
  * Update on Progressive Alliance organizing (20 min)
    (more info about that below)
  * Discussion and possible decisions on the "Affordable Housing
    Density Bonus Program" (also, event on Thursday) (40 min)
  * Decision - 2015 Supervisorial Report Card (30 min)

Every 4th Wednesday the SF Green Party meets to discuss issues of
concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse events, plan outreach
and more!  Everyone welcome. To make a presentation or gain the SFGP
endorsement of events and issues, please contact our SFGP County
Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

*===========================*

What: Comment at the Board of Supervisors Meeting
Where: City Hall, Room 250
When: Tue, Jan 26, 2 pm - late

The Board of Supervisors is slated to vote to approving the city's
tech shuttle bus program, which had been a one year pilot program.
There are many problems with the tech shuttle program, which is
currently in litigation. The various issues are below:

We want a comprehensive Environmental Impact Report on the
displacement impacts of the commuter shuttles in San Fransisco. Why
should there be an EIR?
   -- There are NO LIMITS on the number of shuttles that the SFMTA can
   permit.

   -- There are NO LIMITS on the number of stops the private shuttles
   might be able to operate in.

   -- The demand for private access to public bus stops is likely to
   increase - Apple's new Cupertino campus will employ 13,000 people and
   another North San Jose campus, for which Apple paid $165 million in
   cash, will employ 18,000. Other Silicon Valley companies are also
   expanding. What are the housing plans for the new employees?

Come testifiy in favor of requiring an EIR for this program, this
Tuesday at City Hall.

*===========================*

What: Press Conference and Planning Commission meeting
Where: City Hall, press conference outside, meeting in Room 400
When: Thurs, Jan 28, noon press conference, 1-3 pm meeting

Accordign to the Housing Rights Committee, the "Affordable Housing"
Density Bonus program being pushed by the Mayor is bad news for the
city.  It will allow developers to build higher in exchange for adding
"affordable" units, but affordable for whom?  The plan will allow
developers to circumvent environmental impact reviews and public
input.

This issue will be voted on at the SF Planning Commission on Thursday
January 28th. There will be a press conference prior to the hearing at
12 noon.  The hearing will be at the Planning Commission in Room 400.
TURNOUT IS NEEDED.  A good article about the plan was written by Joe
Smooke of People Power Media:

http://www.peoplepowermedia.net/housing/op-ed-the-displacement-bomb-set-to-explode-san-francisco-op-ed

*===========================*

    This year, we'll be organizing with other progressive groups to
build a SF Progressive Alliance modeled on Richmond's.  Please
encourage other like-minded organizations and allies to join us in
helping to organize this coalition.

    In the last several elections, SF progressive groups have
squandered electoral opportunities by foolishly opposing each other in
cases like this year's College Board race, when discussions prior to
making endorsements might have cleared up misunderstandings.  Greens
think we need to follow the model of Richmond CA, in which Greens,
progressive Democrats, and other like-minded voters organized together
in a solid, long-term alliance well in advance of individual
elections.  The Richmond Progressive Alliance swept Chevron-backed
candidates in 2014 elections, despite being vastly outspent.

    Let's follow Richmond's model, so we have more successful
elections in 2016 and beyond.

*===========================*

Run for the Green County Council!

The SFGP County Council is up for election in the primary this June.
Yes, members of our County Council, like all political parties, are
elected.  Women, people of color, LGBT persons, and people with
disabilities are strongly encouraged to run.

If you're interested in running, the deadline is March 11.  You can
pick up nomination papers at the Department of Elections in City Hall.
If you have questions or want more info, please email the current
County Council members at cc at sfgreens.org.

Here's a guide for candidates:
http://sfgov.org/elections/file/671

Paid contractor wanted: SF Green Party Fundraiser/Volunteer Coordinator
(a part time independent contractor (1099) position):

http://sfgreenparty.org/help-wanted