[SFGP] Greenzine - Don Bechler memorial, monthly meeting, and bring back Muni

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Sat Oct 23 15:52:02 PDT 2021

October 23, 2021

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    This week, the Department of Elections certified petitions to
recall three members of the school board: Alison Collins, Gabriela
López, and Faauuga Moliga.  The election will be held next Feb 15.

    The Green Party has endorsed NO on this recall because if it
succeeds, Mayor Breed will be able to fill all the vacancies with her
own hand-picked candidates.  We don't want our public schools to be
subject to the same corruption as we see at other City departments run
by the Mayor, such as the Department of Building Inspection,
Recreation and Parks, and the MTA (which operates Muni).  Instead, we
need a charter amendment to allow voters to choose replacements (using
ranked choice voting) in the same election as the recall.

    Please join us over the next week for several events (detailed
listings for each one follow the summary):

On Sunday, we'll gather in Dolores Park to remember long-time Green
Party activist Don Bechler, a leader in the Single Payer Healthcare
movement.

On Wednesday, we'll hold our monthly membership meeting, to discuss
a possible ballot initiative to ban City use of toxic herbicides,
as well as our platform plank on HIV and its relevance to COVID,
and the agenda for the upcoming statewide Green Party meeting.

On Thursday, we'll join a rally to demand restoration of full
pre-pandemic Muni service.

*===========================*

What:  Don Bechler memorial
Where:  Northwest Corner of Dolores Park, near Church and 18th
When:  Sun, Oct 24, 1 pm

Dear Single Payer Now Supporters,

Sunday, October 24th will be one year since Don Bechler died. We miss
his leadership as we continue to fight for an Improved Medicare for
All.

To celebrate Don's life, we are planning an informal, in-person,
outdoor gathering.  Look for us near the northwest corner of Dolores
Park in San Francisco, not far from the restrooms and close to the
paved walkway at 1 pm.  The nearest street corner is Church and 18th.

There will not be a program, only a moment of silence to remember our
friend, colleague and leading advocate for better health care for
everyone.  We look forward to the possibility of seeing you. Bring a
folding chair or a blanket if you want to stay and talk awhile.

A few of us plan on being there no matter the weather.  This won't be
the last time we will gather together.  By early next year, we may be
able to meet again indoors!

Contact Barry Hermanson (415-255-9494) for more information or
if you're having trouble finding us.

*===========================*

What:  Green Party Monthly meeting
Where:  Redstone Bldg (2940 16th Street, near South Van Ness) #301, SF
When:  Wed, Oct 27, 7-9 pm

Agenda:
* Introductions - 5 min

* Potential initiative to ban toxic herbicides on City property
  (Anastasia Glikshtern) - 30-45 min
  See SF Forest Alliance post on this subject:
  https://sfforest.org/2021/08/28/we-need-to-reduce-toxic-herbicide-use-in-san-francisco/
  and ballot language here:
  https://stopherbicidessf.org/ (under the label "Proposition")

* Review HIV platform plank and its relevance to COVID - 30-45 min
  The State party platform plank is here:
  https://www.cagreens.org/platform/hiv-aids
  and the national one is here:
  https://www.gp.org/social_justice (see secton H)

* Review agenda for Green Party of California statewide meeting on
  Dec 4-5 (virtual event only).

Mask protocol: We will ask at the beginning if everybody present is
fully vaccinated, and if so, masks will be optional for people who
would like to wear them.  If anybody present is not vaccinated, we
will all need to wear masks throughout the meeting.  We also provide
the option for SF Green Party members to participate in our meetings
via Zoom, so email cc at sfgreens.org for info on how you can join us
virtually.

Every 4th Wednesday the SF Green Party meets to discuss issues of
concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse events, plan outreach
and more!  Everyone welcome.  All meetings are wheelchair accessible.
To make a presentation or gain the SFGP endorsement of events and
issues, please contact our SFGP County Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

*===========================*

What:  Rally to demand full Muni service
Where:  Grove St, between Polk and Van Ness
When:  Thurs, Oct 28, 4 pm

There is a rally planned for this coming Thursday, October 28,
beginning at 4 pm, on Grove Street, between Polk and Van Ness.  Join a
City-wide coalition of riders from different neighborhoods to demand
SFMTA restore all lines to pre-pandemic levels.

For more information, write to equitywithmuni at gmail.com.  HANC has
been advocating for restoration of the 6 and 21 lines.  This rally is
focused on those lines, as well as the 10, full J-Church service,
original 48 route, original 35 route.