[SFGP] Greenzine - rally for water defenders, members' meeting next week

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Feb 15 08:59:30 PST 2023

February 15, 2023

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    At last month's meeting, we brainstormed on ideas for organizing
our members.  Although there are no elections this year, we'll be
walking precincts to contact Greens to try to get people more
involved!  If you can help, contact us at "cc at sfgreens.org".

    We hope to see you in the next week at a rally tomorrow in support
of Salvadoran water defenders, and at our membership meeting next
Wednesday.

*===========================*

What:  Rally for water defenders
Where:  Salvadoran Consulate, 507 Polk Street, SF
When:  Thurs, 11 am

The Bukele government arrested five environmental activists in Santa Marta
and are holding them in pre-trial detention. The charges are "illicit
association," basically gang membership under the code of the 'State of
Exception," a declared state of emergency that allows Bukele dictatorial
powers, and supposed crimes during the civil war in the 1980s. The
suspected reason is their activism in the fight to stop Pacific Rim mining
company from mining for gold using cyanide in the watershed of the Rio
Lempa River, the main water source for San Salvador, and the subsequent
successful campaign to get a law passed against any metallic mining in the
country.
https://cispes.org/article/cispes-and-us-el-salvador-sister-cities-statement-arrests-water-defenders-santa-marta

Bay Area CISPES and NorCal fmln are holding a rally on Thursday, Feb. 16,
at 11 a.m., in front of the Salvadoran Consulate, 507 Polk Street. (flyers
attached).

*===========================*

What:  Green Party monthly members' meeting
Where:  Redstone Bldg (2940 16th Street, near South Van Ness) #301, SF
When:  Wed, Feb 22, 7-9 pm

The agenda will be determined at our CC meeting this week,
and will focus around outreach to Green Party members in SF.
Another message will be sent next week with details.

Every 4th Wednesday the SF Green Party meets to discuss issues of
concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse events, plan outreach
and more!  Everyone welcome.  All meetings are wheelchair accessible.
To make a presentation or gain the SFGP endorsement of events and
issues, please contact our SFGP County Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

Mask policy: Masks are currently optional indoors, for both vaccinated
and non-vaccinated people.  We provide the option for SF Green Party
members and invited candidates to participate in our meetings via
Zoom, so email cc at sfgreens.org for info on how you can join us
virtually.