[GPCA-SGA-Votes] How to subscribe to the GPCA-Forum general discussion email list (was RE: Note Of Subject Header Change For This Email List)

Thomas Leavitt thomleavitt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 14:15:00 PST 2018

Yolanda appears to have interpreted this text on the GPCA Forum mailing
list to require that a person be a registered Green. "The gpca-forum is
open to GPCA members only." That message is, I presume, directed not at
folks who can't register as a Green Party member, but at folks who are
eligible to register, but are not members of the GPCA. Perhaps a
clarification referencing the rule Sanda E. quotes should be added?

Also, and I think this is a critical point, given recent entrants and the
undue emphasis on "County Councils" (an structural artifact foisted on us
by the state), in every way other than that legally mandated by law, folks
who can't register Green (such as minors, felons who've lost their voting
privileges, residents both legal and undocumented) are equally eligible to
participate and lead. Historically, we've enshrined this, in many counties,
by explicitly stating in bylaws that the county Green Party Assembly
(meeting of the whole) is the supreme authority on all matters Green, and
that the County Council exists only as a formality and only has those
powers affirmatively granted and/or delegated to it by the GA. I mention
this, because the emphasis on County Councils results in the explicit
exclusion of non-registered voters from positions of leadership and
influence due to state law.

Here's our relevant Santa Cruz County bylaws:

A.2. [...] The Green Assembly shall be the policy setting body for the
Green Party in Santa Cruz County, and has control of all actions taken in
the name of the Green Party of Santa Cruz County

A.4. Membership Exceptions: a) Any person not registered as a member of the
Green Party that resides in Santa Cruz County shall be eligible and welcome
to attend these meetings, and shall be considered a voting member of the
Green Assembly, if all of the following applies to her/him: 1) She/He has
attended at least two previous meetings of the Green Assembly within the
last six months. 2) She/He shows a commitment to the Ten Key Values of the
Greens (USA). 3) If she/he is not registered to vote in any other political
party and has no voting privileges in any other political party, and any
one of the following apply: • She/He is not a legal citizen of the United
States. • She/He is under 18 years of age but over 12. • She/He is a
paroled convicted felon of a non-violent crime. b) Any or all of the above
exceptions are void when in violation of State or local law.

This is the sole benefit of being on the County Council:

A.6. Members of the County Council of the Green Party of Santa Cruz County
shall be considered voting members of the Green Assembly regardless of
previous Green Assembly meeting attendance.

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt