[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Discuss ID 145: GPCA endorsement for Governor

Nicole Castor nmcastorsilva at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 09:06:19 PST 2018

Lauren & Others,

This is what I had said regarding pandering to Sanders' supporters and I do
not wish to have my words misrepresented. I acknowledge there is merit to
pandering in certain cases but that it seems a disproportionate amount of
importance should not be put on it as if it will become our main objective.
This is especially important considering the statistics that only around 5%
of Sanders' primary voters ended up voting for Jill Stein.

"I also do not feel it is useful to put so much weight on pandering to
so-called "berniecrats," as it dilutes our values in specific ways which
compromises what the party actually stands for. Of course such pandering
has its merit in reaching registration goals, but for a race like this, we
should be careful in pretending we share more in common with that core than
we really do.

Green Party is a safe space for people who want to vote their values when
their values include an opposition to war, for example, which Sanders has
not largely demonstrated in his political career. In a statewide race which
we are unlikely to win, or make it into the top-two, campaigning our values
becomes a bigger goal. We should be careful in how we present our values by
way of which candidates were to endorse, that this impression does not
illustrate an acceptance of supporting war and other things that the GP
generally does not stand for.

-N
I think given the dilemma we are in with Top Two, we really have no choice
if we hope to maximize our vote and ensure that we maintain our ballot
status but to unite around one candidate. In fact, everyone who is to the
Left of the Dems should all be working together and uniting behind a common
slate.
Ann

Sent from my iPhone