[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Discuss ID 155: Endorsement Policy Amendment: GPCA Endorsements for General Election Candidates

Thomas Leavitt thomleavitt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 14:36:16 PST 2018

Victoria,

Are you talking about individual Democrats, or officially affiliated
Democratic Party organizations, like clubs and Central Committees?
Individual Dems can and do endorse at will. Clubs and Central Committees
have bylaws prohibiting it, but you'll see Dems ignore their own bylaws and
make exceptions when they need to do so in order to remain relevant to the
electoral process. You'll never get a Dem Central Committee endorsing a
non-Dem, but the clubs will, if the candidate is compelling enough that
they can run a credible campaign even without them. Especially the
progressive clubs that see Greens as leverage against more conservative
elements within their own party. I saw this happen at one point in Santa
Cruz County.

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt