[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Discuss ID 142: GPCA position on Proposition 71 - Ballot measures: effective date

Victoria Ashley victronix01 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 21:56:59 PDT 2018

All,

The Green Party of Alameda County recommends a "Yes" vote on Prop. 71.
Below is our current draft Voter Guide article for Prop. 71.

Greg

Prop. 71 -- YES
Sets Effective Date for Ballot Measures

This measure amends the State Constitution so that state initiatives and
referenda, as well as legislative bonds and ballot measures that change the
State Constitution, take effect on the fifth day after the Secretary of
State files the statement of the vote.

At present, most state ballot measures take effect the day after Election
Day. During the past quarter century, voting habits in California have
changed dramatically. In the November 1970 election, about 200,000
California voters (3 percent of the total) cast a ballot by mail. By
contrast, in November 2016, more than 8 million voters (58 percent of the
total) cast a mail ballot. In addition, state and federal laws allow for
“provisional” ballots—for example, for people who believe they are
registered even though their names are not on a polling place’s voter
list.  Thus, in recent elections, several million mail ballots and other
ballots have not been counted at the end of Election Day, but are counted
in the days or weeks afterward. The Secretary of State then files the
statement of the vote no later than 38 days after Election Day—after
receiving voting results from each county.  These days, in a close
election, having a law go into effect the day after Election Day could
result in its having to be rescinded.  Prop 71 makes sense, as it updates
the law to align with the electorate's present voting habits. Vote YES on
Prop 71.