[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Discussion On Items ID 144, 146, 148, 150, 151, 152 & 155: Endorsing Non-Green Candidates For Statewide Office

Nicole Castor nmcastorsilva at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 11:24:29 PDT 2018

What Jesse is talking about is at the local level. Sac Greens also work
closely with our local alternative parties, as I have mentioned several
times throughout these threads. The big difference between local & state is
that local is more focused, smaller, and does not generally have the same
faction problems the state has.

We make decisions on a case by case basis and as a smaller group, we are
able to focus more intently on specifics than the state would at broader
level.  We don’t have a broad, open policy and we’re also not such a large
representation of the party in general. As such, people can see an example
of us working cooperatively with other groups & parties without getting the
impression that Green Party is not its own political party. If this were
implemented at the state level- this is the impression it would have.

The other thing about local involvement with other parties and groups is
that Sac Greens are generally not seeing people join up with the GP as a
result of our coalitions. The purpose of our associations is to get
specific tasks accomplished. This has very little bearing on registration
at the local level but could definitely have a negative impact when applied
on a larger scale. There are many things we could focus on with non voters,
for example, without weakening our party identity and giving the impression
that we exist to help others get elected rather than having a solid
foundation in our own party and values.