[Sustain] [Transpo] Excellent Short Audio On The Biofuels Myth

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Thu Apr 5 11:55:30 PDT 2007

I'm am so sick of the peak oil crowd using this ridiculous bogus
argument that I am literally about to lose my cool over it.

The reason that solar, wind, tidal and wave "account for less than one
percent of the energy that is generated nationally" is that we have
hardly BUILT any of it.
If we we DID build it and switch to electrified mass transit, it would
account for almost 100% of the energy generated nationally.

And when peak oil speakers spout this nonsense they totally lose
credibility with every person like myself who have followed solar, wind
and other renewables long enough to know that if we just build these
facilities, switch to high efficiency methods, localise as much as
possible, and switch to electrified mass transit, the numbers work. We
can have a smooth transition from a fossil fuel civilization to a
renewable one.

And whenever you put this argument out to well motivated but uniformed
people you TURN THEM OFF to renewables and you need to STOP IT!
Furthermore, you also turn -others- off to the very VALID peak oil
arguments, like those against biofuels. People stop trusting what you
are saying, because they know full well that you are completely wrong
about solar and wind.

I'm sorry to get angry, but this bs has got to stop.

We are talking about a 25 year time frame here to completely turn around
civilization and stop the planet from burning, and we -must- build
massive amounts of wind, solar and other true renewables or we will
fail. Period.

Please people, analyze what you believe carefully and logically, before
you repeat it to others.

with respect,

Eric

Sue Vaughan wrote:

=Eric, I think you are very unrealistic about the potential of solar,
wind, tidal, and wave.  Currently, all those "alternative" forms of
energy generation account for less than one percent of the energy that
is generated nationally.  I think you need to start working the term
"carbon tax" into your discussions, as we need to drastically reduce
the amount of energy that we are using.=