[Sustain] Continued: Biofuel & Algae Debate

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Apr 6 14:45:35 PDT 2007

John-Marc and all,

We should definitely discuss all of this in both working groups, however
people that can't come to the meetings should also benefit from this
exchange.

Below are my latest responses in three sections that will be a bit
easier to wade through... :)

jmc at sfgreens.org wrote:

You can break the cellulose down into sugar, ferment the sugar, distill out the alcohol, and then recycle the leftovers back into the soil...If you're talking about inedible parts of crops we currently plant, a biofuel plant in proximity to the farm wouldn't result in any more mining than is currently taking place...

My reply:

Distilling out the alcohol takes energy -out- of the plant material in
large amounts and turns it into a liquid fuel. All of that energy is
then unable to be returned to the soil. Let's get to the heart of
physics. Energy and matter are the same thing, and energy/matter is
never lost or gained, it is simply moved from place to place, from one
state to another. So, when you take large amounts of energy from a plant
(in the form of alcohol or oil) and move that energy into the fuel lines
of millions of vehicles, that energy is lost to the soil and transfered
to the atmosphere. It has been moved to a different place and cannot
strengthen the soil and build up within it. Remember, above and beyond
nutrients, carbon itself is a key component of soil (plants don't solely
depend on -atmospheric- carbon for their life cycle). And storing carbon
in thick topsoil, keeps it -out- of the atmosphere.

There is a Science Daily article that gets right to the heart of what I
am talking about (Trapping Carbon In Soil Key For Protecting Global Food
Security, Dealing With Climate Change) at
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/06/040614080953.htm

This same dynamic holds true for water grown algae. The algae -must- be
fed a nutrient base, much of which will be transfered as energy into the
fuel. And even if we develop an incredibly hyper efficient algae fuel
process, think about what it is that we will be _doing_. We will be
taking carbon dioxide out of the air, turning it into fuel, and
returning it to the air, when -instead- _/and this is absolutely key/_,
-most- of that CO2 could be taken out of the air and permanently stored
in old growth ecosystems and their soils; and deep permacultural
farmlands and -their- soils. By restoring old growth ecosystems and deep
sustainable farmlands to the Earth in this way, we can pull a lot of the
current excess CO2 -out- of the atmosphere and put it back down into the
Earth and into cycling living systems where it belongs; and from which
we have in fact unnaturally extracted it in the first place.

jmc at sfgreens.org wrote:

The two main sources [for biofuel algae supports] I've seen are power plants that spew carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and sewage from pig/cow farms (which do not necessarily contain heavy metals, unless you've been feeding them to the pigs).  Both are good places to build algae plants because the algae would break down the pollutants and at the same time produce usable energy.  This would be economical now, while the technology is developed to the point where you could run it just off of atmospheric level carbon dioxide.  I don't buy the argument that remediating a current source of pollution is somehow encouraging more of that pollution; the demand for pig meat has nothing to do with whether we might produce biofuels from pig poop.  Current methods of pig farming may turn out to be unsustainable in the long run even with bioremediation, but as
long as we have them, it's better to use the waste for biofuel rather than letting it pollute the environment.

My reply:

No actually it is not better, because doing so would obviously increase
the profitability and utility of both fossil fuel power plants and pig
farms, perpetuating them as a paradigm in our global economic, energy
and food system; especially when you consider that mainstream media
reports always portray such projects as a way we can have our cake and
eat it too, with both, fossil fuel burning, and incredibly destructive
meat agriculture. And of course, there are in fact massive toxic
chemical inputs into both industries that will indeed still make their
way into our air and water bodies. Far superior alternatives are, a) a
massive switch immediately to non-carbon based energy like solar and
wind, enabling the immediate -closure- of the power plants (instead of
simply mitigating their wastes and CO2), and b) a mass education program
to get people to realise the power of eating much lower on the food
chain, thereby encouraging immediate large reductions (instead of
dangerous co-dependent validations) of pig farming. Pig farming by the
way, is one of the -most- polluting of all forms of animal agriculture.

jmc at sfgreens.org wrote:

Monsanto's current exploits have nothing to do with the argument over whether biofuels might be part of a sustainable energy solution or not...and then...
We're talking about [genetically engineered] biofuel plants on dry land (e.g., in a desert with lots of sunlight), with algae that need seawater to survive. Therefore, I'm not too worried about mutant algae escaping into the biosphere.  In most cases, I'm much less worried about genetically engineering microorganisms such as bacteria than I am about genetically engineering crops; the reasons why have to do with technical reasons that are outside the scope of this discussion, but I'd be happy to explain this another time.

My reply:

First, Monsanto will be intimately involved with biofuels, because the
current gold rush is toward genetically engineered ultra-high-yield
biofuel crops. The connection then, is obvious.
Second, it is actually genetically engineered microorganisms that are
the -most- dangerous. Microorganisms reproduce rapidly and therefore
mutate rapidly and so can very quickly adapt themselves to invade
exactly the ecosystems that you are so sure they will not be able to
spread out into... And this isn't even the worst danger. Bacteria and
viruses can get into/consume genetically engineered microbes -and-
plants & animals and quickly incorporate genetically engineered DNA into
their -own- genetic structure. And, -then- in an even -more- disastrous
synergy, bacteria that exchange information between eachother -both-
sexually -and- by directly joining to eachother and _directly_
exchanging  genetic information, can, and _often do_, incorporate this
genetically engineered DNA flying around in the viruses and other
bacteria all over the place, and then rapidly pass it down, around and
through their neighbors, creating an explosion in the invasion of
genetically engineered DNA into both our bodies and the biosphere. This
has definitively been shown in hard research. Samples taken from people
and animals that have eaten genetically engineered foods have shown that
the engineered DNA, partly due to this very process of exchanges of DNA
between bacteria, and viruses, are winding up not being fully broken
down in the stomach and instead, are making their way all the way into
the tissue -and- DNA of the people and animals eating the food. (This
process is begun in the very tough and resourceful gut bacteria in our
stomachs and intestines.)

Such microbial exchange of engineered DNA, is precisely why there is NO
SUCH THING as a safe genetically engineered organism. They are
inherently extremely dangerous, and should be abolished, because their
artificial genetic material can make its way into every single corner of
the planet and into every single living organism.

and to genetically engineer very small, rapidly reproducing organisms,
is to increase this danger exponentially...

And on that happy note..

cheers

Eric