[Sustain] Another Nail In The Algae Fuel Coffin .. and .. Airplanes

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Apr 6 20:47:51 PDT 2007

Also keep in mind that, whatever carbon waste source we would use to
feed algae whether it is CO2 from dirty fossil fuel plants, or Methane
from animal agriculture, what we would essentially be doing is only
temporarily absorbing carbon that is being unnecessarily produced in the
first place, (when we should instead be using true renewables, and
eating much more vegetarian oriented diets in order to -not- generate
that excess carbon). We would only  be temporarily taking unnecessary
waste carbon, turning it into algae, processing the algae into fuel, and
then releasing that very same excess carbon into the atmosphere anyway,
when we burn the algae fuel. This is absurd. All it does is delay the
release of the pollution by storing it a bunch of algae for a while...

Even in the case of methane from waste dumps, we need to reduce the
capacity of the dump to produce so much methane in the first place, and
whatever methane is left after this reduction, figure out the best way
to split it into hydrogen in order to keep -that- carbon source -out- of
the atmosphere, instead of just temporarily processing it through the
tiny bodies of algae, only to later release it again as biofuel carbon
combustion waste.

Combustion fuel, no matter its source, must go. Algae is not an answer.

And to speak to an earlier point, we need to stop flying around in
airplanes and develop very high speed ground trains instead. There is no
reason renewable electric powered mag lev trains can't get us around
just as quickly, or even more quickly, than airplanes.

cheers

Eric