[Sustain] Sierra Club Is Fighting Against Coal - Not Supporting It

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sun Apr 8 16:10:37 PDT 2007

John Rizzo writes:

Two statements that I must take issue with:

> The Sierra Club seems sorta
>kinda OK there, in the native Four Corners, but here, Mary R. says
>they promoted Lennar's development in the shipyard.

This is a false statement. We absolutely do not support or promote
Lennar.

>And, in Obama's
>Illinois, around the Great Lakes, some local Sierra Club chose "clean
>coal" as their greenhouse gas limiting solution.

I don't know of ANY organization that has put more staff time, volunteer
time, and money into fighting coal nationwide than the Sierra Club. This
includes Illinois. Here are some Illinois victories against coal:

http://www.sierraclub.org/environmentallaw/coal/plantlist.asp#
IllinoisTaylorvilleEnergyCenter

The Sierra Club spends a lot of resources and effort fighting new coal
plants and the myth of "clean coal." Coal is also tied to the Sierra
Club's Mercury and Clean Water campaigns.

See this web site for a great deal of information about coal and Club
efforts:

http://www.sierraclub.org/coal/

One of the Sierra Club's campaigns is called "Stopping the Coal Rush"
led by the Club's Environmental Law Program.

At the web site, be sure to sign the petition to end mountaintop coal
mining that is literally destroying Appalachia.

John Rizzo

PS. For the past three years, the local Bay Area chapter has been
expending a lot of staff and volunteer to pass CCA (Tom and Ross), 360
MW renewable energy. It will finally be introduced at the Board of
Supervisors on Tuesday. We are also working to get CCA implemented in
other cities across California.