[Sustain] Uncovering Gore's Seven Point Pledge (Full Text)

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Wed Jul 11 10:20:42 PDT 2007

Hi again all,

Below is the text of the seven point pledge that Gore is asking you to
sign. As you read it, ask yourself how you would react to it, if the CEO
of Peabody Coal was the one who was at the microphone reading it; the
one putting the pledge document into your hands.. Then, below the Gore
pledge, read a recent press release from Peabody Coal (recently renamed
Peabody Energy) which indeed quotes their CEO speaking to their vision
for coal's future.

/I PLEDGE:

1.To demand that my country join an international treaty within the next
2 years that cuts global warming pollution by 90% in developed countries
and by more than half worldwide in time for the next generation to
inherit a healthy earth;

2.To take personal action to help solve the climate crisis by reducing
my own CO2 pollution as much as I can and offsetting the rest to become
"carbon neutral;"

3.To fight for a moratorium on the construction of any new generating
facility that burns coal without the capacity to safely trap and store
the CO2;

4.To work for a dramatic increase in the energy efficiency of my home,
workplace, school, place of worship, and means of transportation;

5.To fight for laws and policies that expand the use of renewable energy
sources and reduce dependence on oil and coal;

6.To plant new trees and to join with others in preserving and
protecting forests; and,

7.To buy from businesses and support leaders who share my commitment to
solving the climate crisis and building a sustainable, just, and
prosperous world for the 21st century.

/Now, the report on Peabody's vision for coal. See below or
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=129849&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=577869&highlight=

Peabody Energy Commits $3 Million to Clean Coal Technology Development

ST. LOUIS, Jan. 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continuing to advance
development of next-generation coal-fueled technologies, Peabody Energy
today said it has made a second $1.5 million commitment to support
America's most sophisticated research facility for coal-fueled electricity.

The Power Systems Development Facility in Wilsonville, Ala., is a
national center for testing cleaner, more efficient and more
cost-effective coal-fueled technologies for commercial use. Peabody has
committed a total of $3 million to support facility research since 1997.

"Our nation's ever-growing demand for more energy requires new and
innovative ways to provide that energy," said Dr. Charles Goodman,
senior vice president for research and environmental affairs at Southern
Company, which operates the facility. "We must continue to use coal as
an energy source, and use it more cleanly than ever before. The support
of companies such as Peabody are key to the success of our efforts here,
which will go a long way in securing a balance in energy production that
our nation so badly needs."

The Power Systems Development Facility began testing advanced century
power technologies in 1996. The effort reflects a joint partnership
between the U.S. Department of Energy and a range of energy and
technology companies including Peabody Energy, Southern Company, the
Electric Power Research Institute, the Kellogg Brown and Root Company,
Foster Wheeler and Siemens Westinghouse Power Corporation.

A number of applications are being tested, which include a
high-efficiency gasification system that current studies show may offer
the most effective clean coal solutions at the lowest cost. High
efficiency and high temperature gas cleaning devices also are among the
technologies being assessed.

The facility continues a long track record of improved emissions in the
United States, even as coal use has increased. Reliable, abundant,
inexpensive coal-fueled electricity has resulted in significant
electricity use and economic growth over the last three decades.

"Clean coal technologies have already allowed America to triple the
amount of coal used for electricity generation since 1970 while reducing
emissions," said Irl F. Engelhardt, chairman and chief executive officer
of Peabody Energy. "Advanced coal-fueled technologies such as those
demonstrated by the Power Systems Development Facility provide a
continued path toward coal growth and emissions improvement."

Peabody continues to support increased efficiencies at every level of
energy production as well as enhancement of carbon sinks and development
of technologies to sequester carbon. Peabody also is an advocate of the
U.S. Department of Energy's "Vision 21" program, which has established a
long-range goal of coal-fueled power plants that feature zero emissions.

Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU) is the world's largest coal company. Its coal
products fuel more than 9 percent of all U.S. electricity generation and
more than 2 percent of worldwide electricity generation.

MAKE YOUR OPINION COUNT - Click Here

http://tbutton.prnewswire.com/prn/11690X11034372
SOURCE Peabody Energy
Web site: http: //www.peabodyenergy.com
CONTACT: Vic Svec of Peabody Energy, +1-314-342-7798

--
"The past is the Textbook of Tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free" - Herman Melville