[Sustain] From Biofuels, To The Similar Emerging Threat Of Bio-Plastics and 'Eco-Water'

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sun Mar 25 19:29:02 PDT 2007

Hi all,

It is finally becoming clear that bio-plastic is is beginning to be
leveraged into the same agriculturally disastrous boom that was first
triggered by European bio-fuel subsidies.

I have just been introduced, on a Link TV 'Earth Focus' report, to
disturbing new programs selling bottled spring water, often in new 'bio
bottles', and using the proceeds from the water to support water 'aid'
projects in economically colonized communities that are water, and/or
clean water, poor. In one case, such a water 'aid' product has been
bought up by Starbucks corporation, which is now donating a minuscule 5%
of proceeds from this water to water 'aid'.

The list of disturbing implications of these programs is too long to
take time to post, (I'm sure that your imaginations can figure most of
them out), but here is the central synopsis.

The same big ag, chemical, fossil fuel, food, and water exploitation
entities which have become increasingly merged into a handful of
monolithic global parent corporations like Vivendi, Suez, Nestle,
Monsanto, and Unilever, are now concertedly launching a blitzkrieg
campaign of products which capitalize on the general public's desire to
help save the planet, and then steer that very public into consuming an
entire new spectrum of ecologically disastrous products. Products which
those corporations believe they will use to seamlessly transition
themselves from centrally petroleum based production, to centrally
agriculturally based production, thereby ensuring that they will not
have to sell one less plastic bag or bottle, one less overpriced liter
of retailized water or corn syrup based soda, one less personal
automobile, nor one less liter of internal combustion fuels... (Ross
Mirkarimi's compostable bag ordinance, while probably a supportable
positive step in microcosm, must be seen in a whole new perspective in
the macrocosm, based on the emerging huge shadow of this global
corporate roll-out of bio-plastics, biofuels, and cache' water products.
Once Ross's ordinance passes, we -must- make certain that it evolves
into a reusable canvass bag program for San Francisco.)

The phrase 'out of the frying pan and into the fire' does not begin to
equate the gravity of this looming situation.

Just as with bio-fuels, we of the SF Greens need to immediately place
ourselves at the cutting edge of the movement to fight these products,
and turn the world to -real- planet saving measures like returnable
glass bottles, returnable canvass bags, a massive shift to truly
renewable energy sources, a massive shift to renewable powered electric
mass transit, and the kicking of corporations like Starbucks, Nestle,
Coca Cola, Vivendi, et al, out every watershed and aquifer on the planet
- followed by organized community action to restore all of the Earth's
water sources to democracy, and purity.

To see show times for the program on which I saw the naively positive
report about these new water/bottle programs go to:

http://www.linktv.org/programming/programDescription.php4?code=earth_studio

Link TV can be seen throughout Saturdays and Sundays in San Francisco on
cable channel 27.

To see the web site of one of the European versions of this bottled
water Frankenstein's monster go to:

http://www.belu.org/

peace,

Eric Brooks