[Sustain] Nuke power advocate on biofuels

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Wed May 2 05:40:00 PDT 2007

Actually, nuclear doesn't even work to solve the CO2 problem anyway.
Right now, over its lifetime, because of uranium ore processing and
various other fossil energy costs, a nuclear plant produces about 1/3 as
much CO2 as a natural gas power plant.

However, just as oil has a peak, so does uranium. Uranium ore is rapidly
becoming less and less pure, and so refining it takes more and more
fossil energy inputs. If we were to begin a shift completely from fossil
fuels to nuclear, this peak uranium purity issue would result in every
new nuclear power plant producing the -same- amount of CO2 as a natural
gas power plant, just 10 years into the process. And since hundreds of
power plants would be required (but can't possibly be built in those
numbers) to beat the onset of major climate crises in any case; nuclear
power plants would be a ridiculous strategy even if they -were- carbon
neutral...

cheers

Eric