[Sustain] Fwd: Cut Out Illegal Logging

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Tue Nov 6 13:44:34 PST 2007

    Greenpeace
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9tkgqoelnmKQwRn2xC%2BrfDw5DMW0kcU0>

	November 6, 2007

Cut Out Illegal Logging
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9uLcmWQGTCjG0qzxlAlrCDw5DMW0kcU0>
I'll never forget my first encounter with a wild orangutan. Hiking
through a protected forest in Borneo, I rounded a bend to find her
standing right in front of me in the path, staring back with bright
amber eyes that were at once intense and deeply peaceful. Nor will I
forget my first sight of illegal logging in orangutan habitat -- miles
of ancient forest turned to cut and blackened stumps in the ground.

Illegal logging is taking a terrible toll on people and the environment
throughout the world. Every year, illegal loggers destroy millions of
acres of ancient forests, harming local communities, wildlife and our
climate, and pushing species like the orangutan ever farther down the
road to extinction.

That's why this issue means so much to me, and why I've worked hard to
make sure that consumers like you don't have to wonder if the wood
products you're buying have contributed to the kind of destruction I've
witnessed.

Take Action Today >> Congress has a chance to cut illegal logging now!
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4uJCajr%2F4p2frsDekY9W6zw5DMW0kcU0>

This is why I'm proud to tell you that Congress is on the verge of
taking a major step to put an end to the import of illegal timber. A new
law being considered by Congress would ban imports of illegal wood once
and for all, and put a system in place to make sure that ban has real
teeth. Along with our partners at the Environmental Investigation
Agency, I've worked hard all year to see this day happen, but now I need
YOUR help to make sure Congress follows through.

I can't describe to you how important this bill is. The U.S. is the
world's biggest importer of wood products, and this landmark legislation
will be the first serious safeguard against illegal wood imports into
this country, benefiting forests, wildlife, communities and our climate.
But, corporate interest groups are threatening to make the bill
ineffective with weakening amendments. Please take action
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=M7tem6xwPpXNdJM6aWuOcTw5DMW0kcU0>
now to make sure that doesn't happen.

Sincerely,

Carroll Muffett
Deputy Director of Campaigns

p.s. Right now, Greenpeace activists are in Sumatra (really close to
where I was in Borneo) working to defend the rainforest for the
critically endangered orangutans and tigers who call it home. My friend
Hayden is participating in the forest camp there, and writing about his
experience. Be sure to read his blog
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hsIg2RfJmynT%2FQcKpmR2MTw5DMW0kcU0>
to follow the story.

Great Whale Trail
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=7e0x%2FRJqYZYPnr%2BHOPh7GTw5DMW0kcU0>

Last week we told you about our Great Whale Trail, where we're tracking
humpback whales by satellite as they make their annual migration to the
Southern Ocean. And we gave you the opportunity to get your friends
involved and help fundraise to protect the whales.

The response so far has been amazing! Already, hundreds of you have
created your own Whale Defender pages, and invited your friends follow
the trail. If you haven't already, it's not too late! Sign up today
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=BCbHGwhpeI6lbFF%2Be48Mtzw5DMW0kcU0>.

Our top fundraiser right now is our very own staffer Whitney Howard, who
has raised an amazing total of $865.00 from her family members and
friends! Kimberly Smith is close on Whitney's heels with a grand total
of $420. Check out our website
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9%2FOLk2revNEjYphMKeiJ7jw5DMW0kcU0>
to see what other people have raised, make your own donations, or set up
your own page. Then be sure to get your friends involved too.

Here are a few tips to get going:

    * Make sure you have sent an email to all your friends and family
      asking them to help with your fundraising.
    * Send a reminder email (or txt). Most people need to be asked more
      than once.
    * Put a link to your fundraising page in Facebook or MySpace if you
      use them.
    * Remember you can also fundraise offline any way you like.
    * Use our web banners to promote the Great Whale trail if you have a
      website or blog.

The humpbacks, several with their calves, should begin arriving in the
Southern Ocean to begin feeding over the next few days. You can follow
their progress on the map
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=1fu%2B0fo%2BAZDduC8CbET8ZTw5DMW0kcU0>.

Thanks so much for helping us to help the whales!

Your friend,

John Hocevar
Oceans Campaigner

p.s. I could sure use your help on my Whale Defender page
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=mDA6Iv0GCZ9JVkn1OKiHX1JhauMcH8sg>!
If you don't have one of your own, please be sure to donate on mine, and
send your friends too. Thanks!

  	3 Ways to Help

1: Donate Now
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=1CrAhYCQQDUyzMeWhxzvk1JhauMcH8sg>

Help Greenpeace Take a Stand. Become a Member Today.

2: Take Action
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=84aQYlfPCqmrdNlnmxFrylJhauMcH8sg>

Visit our Action Center and take action today.

3: Tell a Friend
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UAyFTOVyI%2BN6ZuSK0FY14Dw5DMW0kcU0>

Forward this message to a friend. Help spread the word.

Forest Camp Blog

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Hyhs7QxcaDG6BrYaaD0CxlJhauMcH8sg>

I spent this morning at one of the dam construction sites as one of the
standby medics. I was the only one who got hurt this morning though. I
was climbing down the face of one of the dams when I used a piece of
wood that hadn't been nailed in as an anchor (always test your
anchors!). I came tumbling down into the water, along with my camera. My
camera appears like it will recover. And I escaped with only a small
scrape. Read more of Hayden's blog.

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=678nPq8eNFo6snbvPlyqujw5DMW0kcU0>

*Get the 2008 Calendar*

buy calendar
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4IcYpRFW5gFcSh60rzQ%2BnDw5DMW0kcU0>

Holiday shopping early? Get our beautiful 2008 wall calendar. Buy now
for $9.59.

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=1tdSkVcY0S5tWJRPbRgvkjw5DMW0kcU0>

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=amJTvF48%2BvpgHbXcuABNgjw5DMW0kcU0>
702 H Street, NW