[Sustain] [SFGP-A] oil spill -- what action should we take?

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Tue Nov 13 14:50:35 PST 2007

First - Yes push for federal, state local bans on the extremely dirty
'Bunker Fuel' or 'Bunker Oil' that the ship was carrying.

Second - Yes push for requirement of double hulled ships. The double
hull requirement passed after Exxon/Valdez applies only to oil tankers
and not to cargo ships like the one that cause last week's spill.

Third - To actually help with spill and animal clean-up (and or or
donating toward this work) go to Bay Keeper at:

http://www.baykeeper.org/news/oilspill.html

Fourth and most obvious - Keep pushing hard to stop all further fossil
fuel plants and switch SF to all renewables so that we set an example
that helps create a domino effect worldwide for an immediate massive
global transportation and energy shift to renewables and mass transit.

We will of course also address this in more detail at the November
Sustainability WG meeting.

cheers

Eric

susan_e_vaughan at juno.com wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Yesterday someone came running up to us at the SFGP tent and asked us what we were doing about the oil spill, saying, "Come on guys, this is huge."  He was right.
>
> I have just listened to someone from SF Bay Keepers on Democracy Now saying that people can put pressure on Congress to ban the particular kind of oil that was spilled into the Bay on Wednesday and to mandate double-hulled ships.
>
> ????  Double-hulled ships?  I thought we learned that lesson after the Exxon-Valdez oil spill.
>
> Can Eric Brooks advise on the appropriate course of action?  Shall we put out a press release?
>
> Sue

"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate
themselves." – Che Guevara