[Sustain] Fwd: No Real Renaissance for Nuke Industry

Don Eichelberger done7777 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 28 15:33:37 PST 2007

So, nukes want a renaissance, do they?

>From: "Susan Swift" <vencejo at mindspring.com>
>Subject: No Real Renaissance for Nuke Industry
>Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:23:51 -0800
>
>At least some scientists believe that nuclear power is a doomed industry!
>Thanks to Roger Herried and Tom A. for forwarding this news...
>
><http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/nuclear/mg19626313.300-nuclear-industry-may-running-out-of-steam.html>http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/nuclear/mg19626313.300-nuclear-industry-may-running-out-of-steam.html
>
>See article below for more details on the report.
>

>Subject: [
>Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:11:07 +0900
>
>http://www.greensefa.org/cms/pressreleases/dok/206/206845.nuclear_energy@en.htm
>
>Nuclear energy: New report highlights nuclear decline in spite of
>industry talk of renaissance
>

>The role of nuclear energy is in decline, according to a report
>'World Nuclear Industry Status Report 2007' presented by the
>Greens/EFA group in the European Parliament today. The report
>outlines that the proportion of nuclear energy in power production
>has decreased in 21 out of 31 countries, with five less functioning
>nuclear reactors than five years ago. There are currently 32 nuclear
>power plants under construction or in the pipeline, 20 fewer than at
>the end of the 1990s. Commenting on the report and this nuclear
>decline, German Green MEP and energy spokesperson Rebecca Harms
>stated:
>
>"In stark contrast to the claims of the nuclear industry and its talk
>of a renaissance, nuclear energy is in decline. The shrinking of
>nuclear in Europe is particularly notable, with ten power plants
>being permanently withdrawn from the network since the last report in
>2004.With fewer plants being built and existing plants becoming more
>decrepit, it seems clear that the grandiose ambitions of the nuclear
>industry will remain in the realm of fantasy."
>
>False promises for a nuclear revival could lead to misplaced public
>expenditure, delaying a more intelligent and sustainable approach to
>energy supply. In addition, plans for building new reactors would be
>in direct competition for the limited manufacturing capacity that is
>already stretched by the maintenance costs for existing (aging)
>reactors.
>
>"The gap between the expectations being promoted by the nuclear
>industry and reality are perfectly highlighted by the bungled attempt
>to build a new reactor at the Olkiluoto plant in Finland. This first
>new nuclear project in 15 years has been blighted by problems.After
>only two years of construction the project is already two years
>delayed and the budget is set to be overrun by at least 50%, with 1.5
>billion euro in losses and shocking errors in key technical
>specifications. Clearly, talk of a nuclear revival is divorced from
>reality and political leaders must call the nuclear industry's
>bluff," continued Rebecca Harms.

> [...]

Don Eichelberger
DJ Fix Independent Productions

Green Uprising Blog
www.greenuprising.blogspot.com

My You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctRp5rGJoUc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iySwwyZfDgE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r9rK8nPREA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5UbnJ0kUqo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SktIYTyC1U

Donny Fix del.icio.us book marks
http://del.icio.us/donnyfix

The Hegelian/Marxist goal is emancipation.  Marx said it best in 1843:

"Human emancipation wll only be complete when the real, individual
man (sic) is absorbed into himself the abstract citizen; when as an
individual man, in his every day life, in his work and in his
relationships, he has become a species-being (politically accountabe
to the whole); and when he recognizes and realizes his own power as
social powers, so that he no  longer separates this social power from
himself as political power."