[Sustain] Architects Adopt Zero Carbon By 2030 Building Standard

Eric Brooks brookse at igc.org
Tue Apr 1 11:24:47 PDT 2008

see http://architecture2030.org/

  Global Warming, Climate Change,
  and the Built Environment

Rapidly accelerating climate change (global warming), which is caused by
greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, is now fueling dangerous regional and
global environmental events. Data from the U.S. Energy Information
Administration illustrates that buildings are responsible for almost
half (48%) of all GHG emissions annually. Seventy-six percent of all
electricity generated by US power plants goes to supply the Building
Sector. Therefore, immediate action in the Building Sector is essential
if we are to avoid hazardous climate change.

  Architecture 2030 Mission

Architecture 2030, a non-profit, non-partisan and independent
organization, was established in response to the global-warming crisis
by architect Edward Mazria in 2002. 2030's mission is to rapidly
transform the US and global Building Sector from the major contributor
of greenhouse gas emissions to a central part of the solution to the
global-warming crisis. Our goal is straightforward: to achieve a
dramatic reduction in the global-warming-causing greenhouse gas (GHG)
emissions of the Building Sector by changing the way buildings and
developments are planned, designed and constructed.

We are achieving our mission by galvanizing both the building industry
and the nation to adopt and implement the 2030 Challenge
<http://architecture2030.org/2030_challenge/index.html>, a global
initiative stating that all new buildings and major renovations reduce
their fossil-fuel GHG-emitting consumption by 50% by 2010, incrementally
increasing the reduction for new buildings to carbon neutral by 2030.