[Sustain] Speech: David Holmgren On Permaculture & Peak Oil

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sat Feb 9 13:40:22 PST 2008

Hi all,

I just found a very important speech by David Holmgren (the co-founder
of permaculture) which has a lot of very crucial perspective in it on
the ways that human thinking on how to manage a sustainable future must
evolve beyond where it is now, and also must re-vision current concepts
of sustainability. Cal Broomhead if you are reading this, I think it is
especially important that you pass on to the Department of Env. and
SFPUC a really vital point that Holmgren makes toward the end of the
speech that as we restrict water use to counter coming droughts, we
crucially create strong -exemptions- on those restrictions to allow for
local food production in home, rooftop, and neighborhood gardens which
actually -save- water supply in the big picture.

I preface guiding you all to the audio link by saying that I actually
strongly disagree with some aspects of what Holmgren lays out. His
described idea of a long gentle decline from peak energy use is made
from his perspective of working hands on in local oriented permaculture
and doesn't account for very large and irresistible forces in
techno-capitalism which will simply not allow this slow energy decline
to an energy nirvana take place. So when he lays out that part of his
vision I think we should take it with a grain of salt and realise that
our actual future will be something more of a yin-yang marriage between
the growing shift to technological fixes like solar and wind power and
the very low energy agrarian devolution which he envisions.

Also, I have always strongly disagreed with Holmgren's emphasis on using
animals in a big way for food and food production. Though it is indeed
possible to create a beautifully sustainable local living system which
harmoniously includes the human eating of lots of animals, such tactics
will be extremely hard to scale to a growing global human population
that is -far- too large. Even more important, what so many
permaculturists like Holmgren totally fail to grasp, is that it is the
mentality that it is ok for humans to enslave, strike, and kill animals
and even plants and living systems to our -use-, instead of properly
envisioning ourselves as ethical partners in a dance with the rest of
our ecosystem, that has repeatedly gotten modern humans stuck in
horrendous progress traps over at the last 100,000 years of our history.
When we make the decision to dominate (for example in the moment when we
decide that it is ok to take a fish and strike its head on a rock to
make it dead) we are fundamentally changing our own mentality. With
proper mythical reverence for, and thanks to, the animal, that mentality
is at first sustainable, but gradually such internalised moments of
violent dominance evolve into unsustainable behavior and group practices
because they stealthfully accumulate a mental and physical dominance
paradigm over the biosphere, eventually crowding the mythical reverence
out. As we build permacultural living systems within which to live, it
will be important that we let -predators- do the job of culling animals
that achieve unbalanced high populations in those systems; not humans
which are far too drastically clever at over-exploiting tools and
mentalities of dominance and destruction such that those tools and
thought processes inevitably spiral over and over again into
sustainability failure.

Anyway, with all those caveats laid down, Holmgren's core perspectives
are crucial to re-envisioning ourselves and our civilisation. You can
hear his speech at:

http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=program-info&program_id=26484&nav=&

For a basic explanation of permaculture go to:

http://www.idepfoundation.org/idep_permaculture.html

peace

Eric