[Sustain] Scientific American Article/Studies Drive Stake Into Heart Of Biofuels Illusion

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Mon Feb 11 02:25:06 PST 2008

Hi all,

This is the best condemnation of biofuels I have seen yet.

Scientific American Article Cites Studies Which Drive A Stake Into Heart
Of The Biofuels Illusion

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=biofuels-bad-for-people-and-climate&print=true

  Scientific American

News <http://www.sciam.com/section.cfm?id=news> -  February 7, 2008

  Biofuels Are Bad for Feeding People and Combating Climate Change

    By displacing agriculture for food---and causing more land
    clearing---biofuels are bad for hungry people and the environment

By David Biello

Converting corn to ethanol
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=is-ethanol-for-the-long-h> in Iowa
not only leads to clearing more of the Amazonian rainforest
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=fragmentation-quickly-des>,
researchers report in a pair of new studies in /Science,/ but also would
do little to slow global warming---and often make it worse.

"Prior analyses made an accounting error," says one study's lead author,
Tim Searchinger, an agricultural expert at Princeton University. "There
is a huge imbalance between the carbon lost by plowing up a hectare
[2.47 acres] of forest or grassland from the benefit you get from biofuels."

Growing plants store carbon
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=scientists-spend-10-years> in their
roots, shoots and leaves. As a result, the world's plants and the soil
in which they grow contain nearly three times as much carbon as the
entire atmosphere. "I know when I look at a tree that half the dry
weight of it is carbon," says ecologist David Tilman of the University
of Minnesota, coauthor of the other study which examined the "carbon
debt" embedded in any biofuel. "That's going to end up as carbon dioxide
in the atmosphere when you cut it down."

By turning crops such as corn, sugarcane and palm oil into
biofuels---whether ethanol, biodiesel, or something else
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=turning-whole-plants-into-fuel-in-four-simple-steps>---proponents
hope to reap the benefits of the carbon soaked up as the plants grow to
offset the carbon dioxide (CO_2 ) emitted when the resulting fuel is
burned. But whether biofuels emit more or less CO_2 than gasoline
depends on what the land they were grown on was previously used for,
both studies show.

Tilman and his colleagues examined the overall CO_2 released when land
use changes occur. Converting the grasslands of the U.S. to grow corn
results in excess greenhouse gas emissions of 134 metric tons of CO_2
per hectare---a debt that would take 93 years to repay by replacing
gasoline with corn-based ethanol. And converting jungles to palm
plantations or tropical rainforest to soy fields would take centuries to
pay back their carbon debts. "Any biofuel that causes land clearing is
likely to increase global warming," says ecologist Joseph Fargione of
The Nature Conservancy, lead author of the second study. "It takes
decades to centuries to repay the carbon debt that is created from
clearing land."

Diverting food crops into fuel production leads to ever more land
clearing
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=combating-climate-change-farming-forestry>
as well. Ethanol demand in the U.S., for example, has caused some
farmers to plant more corn and less soy. This has driven up soy prices
causing farmers in Brazil to clear more Amazon rainforest land to plant
valuable soy, Searchinger's study notes. Because a soy field contains
far less carbon than a rainforest, the greenhouse gas benefit of the
original ethanol is wiped out. "Corn-based ethanol, instead of producing
a 20 percent savings [in greenhouse gas emissions], nearly doubles
greenhouse emissions over 30 years and increases greenhouse gases for
167 years," the researchers write. "We can't get to a result with corn
ethanol where we can generate greenhouse gas benefits," Searchinger adds.

Turning food into fuel also has the unintended consequence of driving up
food prices, reducing the access of the neediest populations to grains
and meat. "It's equivalent to saying we will try to reduce greenhouse
gases by reducing food consumption," Searchinger says. "Unfortunately, a
lot of that comes from the world's poorest people."

"We are converting their food into our fuel," Tilman notes. " The
typical driver of an SUV spends as much on fuel in a month as the poorer
third of the world spend on food."

The studies do find some benefit from biofuels but only when planted on
agricultural land too dry or degraded
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=grass-makes-better-ethanol-than-corn>
for food production or significant tree or plant growth and only when
derived from native plants, such as a mix of prairie grasses
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=amber-waves-of-gas-gasoli> in the
U.S. Midwest. Or such fuels can be made from waste: corn stalks,
leftover wood from timber production or even city garbage.

But that will not slake a significant portion of the growing thirst for
transportation fuels
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=climate-change-happening-effects-severe-what-cost-fix-it>.
"If we convert every corn kernel grown today in the U.S. to ethanol we
offset just 12 percent of our gasoline use," notes ecologist Jason Hill
of the University of Minnesota. "The real benefit to these advanced
biofuels may not be in displacement of fossil fuels but in the building
up of carbon stores in the soil."

Of course, there is another reason for biofuels: energy independence.
"Biofuels like ethanol are the only tool readily available that can
begin to address the challenge of energy security," Bob Dinneen,
president of industry group the Renewable Fuels Association said in a
statement. "The alternative is to continue to exploit increasingly
costlier fossil fuels for which the environmental price tag will be great."

But the environmental price tag of biofuels now joins the ranks of
other, cheaper domestic fuel sources---such as coal-to-liquid fuel
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=pumping-coal>---as major sources of
globe-warming pollution
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=worse-than-gasoline> as well as
unintended social consequences. As a result, 10 prominent scientists
have written a letter to President Bush and other government leaders
urging them to "shape policies to assure that government incentives for
biofuels do not increase global warming."

"We shouldn't abandon biofuels," Searchinger says. But "you don't solve
global warming by going in the wrong direction."