[Sustain] Zoo Director Resigns

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Jun 6 18:59:37 PDT 2008

See article below. While this is welcome news, it means we have to be
even more vigilant now.  This could be a move on the part of the SF
Zoological Society to let the resigning director take the blame for the
Zoo's problems on his own shoulders as he leaves, giving them the chance
to fly in under the radar and get approved for a new long term contract
with the City; which would be a travesty. We must keep foremost in our
mind and work that the SF Zoological Society is the real problem, and we
must continue to demand that its management of, and fundraising for, the
facility must end as rapidly as possible.

peace Eric

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/06/BACT114U8M.DTL&type=printable

  Beleaguered S.F. Zoo director quits

Rachel Gordon, Chronicle Staff Writer <mailto:rgordon at sfchronicle.com>

Friday, June 6, 2008

San Francisco Zoo Director Manuel Mollinedo meets with me...
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2008/06/06/BACT114U8M.DTL&o=0&type=printable>
Tatiana, a Siberian tiger, escaped from her grotto last C...
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2008/06/06/BACT114U8M.DTL&o=1&type=printable>

*(06-06) 17:47 PDT San Francisco -* --

Manuel Mollinedo, the executive director of the San Francisco Zoo, has
resigned, officials announced late today.

The announcement, issued nearly six months after a zoo tiger escaped on
Christmas Day and killed a San Jose teenager, comes amid high zoo
employee turnover and what some keepers described as abysmal morale.

The San Francisco Zoological Society, the nonprofit that oversees zoo
operations, issued a statement at 5:20 p.m. today.Tanya McVeigh
Peterson, a lawyer who serves on the zoo society board, has been
appointed interim director.

In addition, Carl Friedman, head of the San Francisco Department of
Animal Care and Control, will be temporarily assigned to the zoo to help
with animal welfare and management issues, sources told The Chronicle.

Mollinedo became director of the 100-acre facility in February 2004
after running the Los Angeles Zoo for eight years.

The San Francisco Zoological Society provided no details on what led to
Mollinedo's departure, other than that he plans to retire in the Bay
Area and will stay active in his support of the zoo.

"The board greatly appreciates his efforts and wishes him well in his
retirement," the statement said.

Word of an impending shake-up began to leak Thursday afternoon when the
zoo society's board of directors held a closed-door meeting. A staff
meeting at the zoo was called for this morning, but was abruptly
canceled right before it was to begin, several zoo workers told The
Chronicle.

Mollinedo and other zoo officials did not return repeated requests for
comment throughout the day, and instead opted to issue a news release at
the close of the business week, a time often picked by politicians and
institutions to bury potentially unfavorable news.

Mollinedo was picked to head the San Francisco Zoo after a nearly
six-month, nationwide search. He beat out 100 candidates and eight
finalists for the position of executive director and president.

/E-mail Rachel Gordon at rgordon at sfchronicle.com
<mailto:rgordon at sfchronicle.com>./

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/06/BACT114U8M.DTL

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." -- Che Guevara