[Sustain] Reminder: Rally To Stop Polluting Power Plants! Tomorrow Mon, May 5, 9-10am, SF City Hall (Polk St. Steps)

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sun May 4 16:55:01 PDT 2008

Eric Brooks <brookse32 at aim.com> wrote:

This is an urgent moment in San Francisco and world history.

Though nearly every major environmental and social justice group has
voiced strong opposition to the building of new fossil fuel power plants
in San Francisco; tomorrow, Monday, May 5th, our Public Utilities
Commission (SFPUC) will outrageously seek permission to build a
polluting natural gas power plant in San Francisco within the next year.
Worse still, if approved, this plant will be built in our most
environmentally damaged and vulnerable neighborhood, the Bayview Hunters
Point. Meanwhile, new reports surface nearly every week that the Global
Warming crisis is becoming much more serious, much more rapidly than
previously believed, and our entire planet is in danger.

Unfortunately, Mayor Gavin Newsom and our Board of Supervisors are
wavering, and have still not come out in majority opposition to this
disastrous power plant! This means that the plant construction could be
approved as early as this week.

It is absolutely critical that we turn out in huge numbers on the City
Hall Polk Street steps tomorrow, Monday May 5, from 9-10am, to show the
Mayor and Board of Supervisors that San Franciscans will not tolerate
further inaction, and that we demand that this unacceptable power plant
project be stopped immediately. We must send a message to the world that
San Francisco has decided to lead the planet into a clean energy future
by permanently halting all plans to build fossil fuel power plants.

COME TO THE RALLY!

WHERE: San Francisco City Hall, Polk Street steps, (from Civic Center
BART/MUNI at 8th and Market, cross United Nations Plaza to the City Hall
steps)

WHEN: Monday, May 5, 9-10am

WHO: Join Our City, Sierra Club, The Ella Baker Center For Human Rights,
Greenaction, The San Francisco Green Party, Brightline Defense, EDF,
SPUR, The San Francisco Bayview, and many other groups, to demand an end
to fossil fuel plants in San Francisco.

BRING SIGNS!: If you can take a moment, also make your own sign that
expresses how you feel about this alarming power plant project and its
potentially terrible impact on our community and the world.

BRING FRIENDS!: Bring everyone you know who cares about the future of
San Francisco and the planet!

ATTEND THE HEARING: Directly following the rally, The Government Audit
and Oversight committee will meet in City Hall Room 250, to discuss and
vote on the power plant contract. Attend this hearing and voice your
opinion to the Board of Supervisors.

SPREAD THE WORD: Forward this email far and wide!

For more information, see http://our-city.org/campaigns/index.html

Thanks for your action and support!

Eric Brooks
Campaign Coordinator
Our City

////This alert sent by:////

//Our City
1028-A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA  94103
415-756-8844

For more information about Our City campaigns go to:
http://www.our-city.org
info at our-city.org <mailto:info at our-city.org>//

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." -- Che Guevara