[Sustain] Community Choice Strategy Meeting Today - City Hall North Light Court - 1:15pm

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Jan 23 11:08:23 PST 2009

Hi again all,

I will be in City Hall's North Light Court (on the first floor) by 1:15
pm today to touch base with any of you who want to strategize about
today's LAFCo meeting on Community Choice.

peace

Eric Brooks
415-756-8844

previously I wrote:

Community Choice (the already passed project meant to get us to the
first 51% clean energy mandate in Prop H) is suddenly in serious
trouble. There is a crucial hearing Friday (tomorrow) and we need to
turn core clean energy organizers out to speak at that hearing in a big way!

The short version of the problem is that the San Francisco Public
Utilities Commission (SFPUC) has just hired an inexperienced, former
PG&E manager (who administered PG&E's bogus 'energy efficiency' projects
for the last three years) and who has never before overseen a major
public works project, to direct the entire Community Choice program; and
worse, the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCo) which in the past
has been our strong ally on clean energy, may simply defer to this even
though it has the legal power to take over the process, and it is even
considering slowing down Community Choice overall. This could kill the
project - most importantly by killing our chances to get Obama
administration funding for it because it won't be in motion soon enough
to be considered 'shovel ready'.

We need you Friday (tomorrow) at 2pm room 263 in City Hall to testify at
the LAFCo hearing during public comment on item 5; and state to the
LAFCo that we must stop waiting for the SFPUC to move forward with a
Community Choice 'Program Basis Report' and Request For Proposals (RFP)
and that the LAFCo should instead -immediately- award its own contracts
to the -most qualified- bidder available to complete those and other
critical tasks.

If you can attend, please call or email so I can give you more detail
and we can coordinate.

This is a really big deal. Please do everything you can to take part.

For basic information on Community Choice go to
http://our-city.org/campaigns/whatiscommunitychoice.html

Eric Brooks
415-756-8844

Here is the City site for the hearing details:

http://www.sfgov.org/site/lafco_page.asp?id=97002

*Special Meeting - LAFCO*

*January 23, 2009, at 2:00 p.m.*

*City Hall, Room 263*

Chairperson Mirkarimi,
Members: Commissioners Campos and Schmeltzer
Alternate: Bornstein

SPECIAL AGENDA

(There will be public comment on each item)

1. Call to Order and Roll Call

2.
<http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/lafco/meetings/materials/012309item2.pdf> Approval
of Minutes for December 12, 2008. (Discussion and Action Item)

3. Elections of the Chair and Vice Chair of SF LAFCO for one-year terms.
(Discussion and Action Item)

4.
<http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/lafco/meetings/materials/012309item4.pdf> Overview
of SF LAFCO’s Activities for New Commission Member. (Discussion Item).

5.
<http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/lafco/meetings/materials/012309item5.pdf> Review
Proposals from Consultants Bidding to Perform various tasks to related
to the Implementation of CCA plan and Authorize the Award of Contracts.
(Discussion and Action Item)

6 Report from SFPUC on the status of CCA activities. (SFPUC Staff)

(Discussion Item)

7.
<http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/lafco/meetings/materials/012309item7.pdf> Discussion
of SF LAFCo’s mid-year budget. (Discussion and Possible Action Item)

8.
<http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/lafco/meetings/materials/012309item8.pdf> Report
on Status and Authorize the Executive Director to hire two staff
positions for CCA Implementation, Coordination and Outreach. (Continued
from November 21, 2008) (Discussion and Possible Action Item)

9.
<http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/lafco/meetings/materials/012309item9.pdf> Presentation
by Local Power of Final CCA Program Report. (Discussion and Possible
Action item)

10.
<http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/lafco/meetings/materials/012309item10.pdf> Consideration
and Approval of Contract Extension between SF LAFCO and Miller, Owen &
Trost. (Discussion and Action Item)

11. Executive Officer Report

12. Public Comment for Items not on the Agenda

13. Future Agenda Items

14. Adjournment

    * _Items continued to the Call of the Chair

      _Report on status of SJVPA action against PG&E before the CPUC and
      denial of SFPUC petition to participate as intervenor (City Attorney)
    * Hearing on the current Mayor’s solar proposal and how or if it
      relates to the implementation of the CCA.

    * Report from SFPUC Staff regarding the Component of the Contract
      for Solar that is related to the CCA Program. (SFPUC Staff)

    * Report from SFPUC on the status of the Peaker and its contract.
      (SFPUC Staff)

    * Discussion and Direction regarding Awarding Contract to take all
      actions necessary to produce a draft RFP to solicit bids for fully
      implementing CCA. (Commissioner Bornstein)

    * Report on Status of contract with Local Power, Inc., for Analysis
      of Existing SF Energy Programs: Portion of Task 5 and/or Task 8 in
      RFQ: Draft Program Management Plan/Draft Program Report.
    * Report from SFPUC Staff on the status of the Solar Incentive
      Program. (Commissioner Bornstein)

    * Report from SFPUC on Status of hiring CCA Program Staff. (SFPUC Staff)

    * Review and Comment on CCA Brochure.
    * Potential contract for CCA tasks.

    * Report from SFPUC on Status of RFQ for Implementation of the CCA
      Program: Award of Contract. (SFPUC Staff)

    * Presentation by Local Power of Draft CCA Program Report.

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." – Che Guevara