[Sustain] Fwd: Invitation for State Senate Committee Hearing - Santa Monica

Eric Brooks brookse at igc.org
Sat Jan 24 11:59:02 PST 2009

Email Icon email Senator Pavley
<http://legplcms01.lc.ca.gov/PublicLCMS/ContactPopup.aspx?district=SD23>
Home Icon visit Senator Pavley's website
<http://dist23.casen.govoffice.com/>

Pavley Banner

*Senator Fran Pavley
23rd Senate District*

State Capitol
Room 4035
Sacramento, CA 95814
tel 916.651.4023
fax 916.324.4823

District Office
tel 310.441.9084
fax 310.441.0724

Committee Office
tel 916.651.4116
fax 916.323.2232

www.sen.ca.gov/pavley <http://www.sen.ca.gov/pavley>

      ANNOUNCEMENT OF STATE SENATE HEARING

Improving Water Conservation and Management in Southern California:
Successes and Opportunities

January 23, 2009

Dear Friend:

As the new Chair of the Senate Committee on Natural Resources & Water, I
believe it is critical that we use water effectively and efficiently.

Numerous studies show that conservation and efficient management
practices are the most cost effective way of meeting our water supply
needs. In fact, because of past investments in these practices, Los
Angeles uses roughly the same amount of water today as it did 2 decades
ago, while accommodating an additional 750,000 residents.

However, not everyone in Southern California is aggressively
implementing all available conservation and efficient measures. More can
and should be done.

This year will be particularly challenging. Consecutive record-dry
winters have seriously diminished available water supply throughout the
state. Locally, we may soon be facing severe restrictions on water use.
But it is hard to explain to our citizens the necessity for mandatory
water rationing, when there are less disruptive means to meet our water
needs.

That's why I am calling for a public hearing in Southern California; to
focus on innovative water conservation and management programs that are
being implemented today. The hearing will highlight:

    * What people are doing now that could be easily adopted by others
    * What additional programs are likely to be implemented soon
    * What the State can do to help

*The hearing will be held on Friday, February 6th, from 1 pm - 3 pm, at
Santa Monica City College, Business Building 111, 1900 Pico Blvd, Santa
Monica, CA 90405.* (Located on Pico Blvd. & 17th - traveling west on
Pico Blvd, turn left on 17th, straight into school and park in the
parking structure. The Business Bldg. is the first Bldg. straight out of
the parking structure, and Room 111 is the First Room when you enter the
Building.)

The hearing is open to the public and I encourage you to attend. Those
appearing include top officials of the State Department of Water
Resources, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, the
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, the Long Beach Water
Department, and many other water agencies. Representatives of community
groups such as Tree People will also appear.

I hope to see you on February 6th.

Sincerely,

Fran Pavley
State Senator, 23^rd District