[Sustain] Update On Campaign To Save SF Clean Energy - Action Needed

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Wed Mar 11 10:03:51 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Last Friday's LAFCo meeting on the Clean Power SF project had rough
moments, but we gained some key ground and managed to get a continuance
for two or three weeks so that we can better make our case for saving
this vital project.

The big victory Friday was that we stopped Navigant corporation from
being hired as the lead contractor for the project roll out. Navigant
does almost all of its business with fossil fuel energy corporations and
private utilities, and has been responsible for wrecking similar clean
energy projects all over the state of California by steering them away
from local clean and renewable energy development, to instead favor
fossil fuel power plants and large, expensive desert based solar
facilities that PG&E and So Cal Edison can easily own and control.

Two of the five voting LAFCo commissioners (Campos and Mar) appear to
now be solidly on our side, but chair Ross Mirkarimi, who is the key
vote we need to get all of this moving, is still not taking action.

He is instead tenaciously continuing a failed strategy of trying to
compromise with the SF Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC), a strategy
which has remained completely fruitless for five full years to get this
project built. We need chair Mirkarimi to do the important and
politically very difficult work of actually challenging the SFPUC and
putting this rogue agency in its place, so that Clean Power SF can begin
immediately.

We must insist of chair Mirkarimi that he step up and take action.

If you haven't done so yet, please look at the attached sign-on letter
insisting that the LAFCo take action, and please reply as soon as you
can to confirm that your member group can sign on. Sierra Club,
Greenpeace, Global Exchange, League of Young Voters, Ella Baker Center
and the Harvey Milk Democratic Club are among the now 25 signatories.

To confirm your group, please reply with an email and contact
information saying that you agree to sign.

For more information about Clean Power SF see
http://our-city.org/campaigns/CleanPowerSF_e.html

thanks

Eric Brooks
415-756-8844