[Sustain] Fwd: Tell the EPA to Stop Mountaintop Removal

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Mar 27 12:41:48 PDT 2009

Rainforest Action Network wrote:

It's amazing what 2,340 lobbyists and more than $90 million can do in
Washington, D.C.

That's how many people and how much money the dirty energy industry is
spending to influence our leaders.

Today, I'm asking you to tell Lisa Jackson, the head of the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to stand up to industry pressure
and support a permanent moratorium on mountaintop removal coal mining.

Earlier this week the Environmental Protection Agency announced that
they'd be delaying and reviewing two permits for mountaintop removal
mining operations and calling into question more that 100 pending
permits that threaten mountains, waterways and communities across
Appalachia.

That's a big deal for a region that has been devastated by mountaintop
removal coal mining.

But one day after the big announcement, the EPA released a clarification
saying that although the permits were under review, they expected that
"the bulk of these pending permit applications will not raise
environmental concerns."

Why?

Because Big Coal has some deep pockets. In less than 24 hours, the
industry quickly mobilized a massive army of lobbyists and reactionary
politicians to lobby against a mountaintop removal moratorium.

But we've got something Big Coal doesn't: our voices.

Go to http://ga3.org/campaign/epa?rk=LpdK58dajUIVE to tell Lisa Jackson
to stand up to the coal lobby and protect Appalachia's mountains and
communities.

We're not going to be able to outspend the coal industry in Washington.

But the movement against coal is stronger than ever and the EPA could
choose to end mountaintop removal once and for all right now.

Lisa Jackson is going to hear from the coal companies. The only question
is whether our voices will be loud and plentiful enough to convince her,
and the rest of our leaders, that it is time to do the right thing.

Please contact Lisa Jackson and ask her to put a permanent moratorium on
all mountaintop removal permits now. Go to
http://ga3.org/campaign/epa?rk=LpdK58dajUIVE

Thanks for all you do.

For the mountains,

Scott Parkin