[Sustain] Action Alert: Kerry/Graham Push More Nukes/Fossil Fuels In Climate Bill

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Mon Oct 12 08:29:10 PDT 2009

*Nuclear Information and Resource Service*
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3Hd%2BNnaBpVGUucvnXA1corDsyCFy6s0V>

*SENS. KERRY AND GRAHAM JOIN FORCES TO PROMOTE MORE NUKES, OIL AND COAL
IN CLIMATE BILL*

*_YOUR ACTIONS ARE VITAL_*

*E-MAIL/FAX NOW; CALL-IN THIS THURSDAY, OCTOBER 15*

October 12, 2009

The New York Times yesterday published a remarkable joint op-ed from
Senators John Kerry (D-MA) and Lindsay Graham (R-SC). Remarkable not
because Graham became the first Republican to sign on to a climate bill,
but because of the enormous price Kerry paid for that support.

*Their op-ed calls for vastly increased support not only for new nuclear
reactors but also coal and oil as well. *Indeed, their proposal reads
like nothing more than a wish list from the dirty energy industry. If
adopted, their proposal would make the climate bill one in name only,
and instead would provide a dirty energy bonanza that would rival the
worst excesses of the Bush administration.

*We all must act now.*

If you haven't yet sent an e-mail and/or fax to your Senators in the
past week (and most of you haven't!!!), please do so now
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=DBnMKMtzGw7DOyxow0A2vLDsyCFy6s0V>.

And please prepare for National Don't Nuke the Climate Call-In Day, this
Thursday, October 15. By the way, a new support group for the Call-In
Day has just formed on the GrassrootsNucleus networking site
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=mEkgDUb0CCfO4OxgvzyElbDsyCFy6s0V>.
We hope you'll use it.

Don't be shy about contacting your Senators! Whether you've written them
once this year or ten times, do so again. Remember: nuclear and utility
lobbyists are contacting your Senators* _every_ _single_ _day_.*

We in Washington don't have the resources to match the industry's
lobbying effort. _You_ are the most important lobbyists! So please make
sure your voice is heard.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Tvrper1vlwIV3k4GiDtsmbDsyCFy6s0V>

Here is a brief excerpt from the Kerry/Graham op-ed: "/Nuclear power
needs to be a core component of electricity generation if we are to meet
our emission reduction targets. We need to jettison cumbersome
regulations that have stalled the construction of nuclear plants in
favor of a streamlined permit system that maintains vigorous safeguards
while allowing utilities to secure financing for more plants."/

You can read the entire op-ed here
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=btdrz5hy0zXjXzAf%2B4FW%2FrDsyCFy6s0V>.

Note that the permit system has been repeatedly streamlined over the
past two decades, and even NRC chairman Greg Jazcko admits the slow pace
of NRC review of license applications is due to the poor quality of
applications and their reliance on unapproved reactor designs. The only
further streamlining would be an end to public participation entirely!

*Again, take action today. **Send an e-mail and/or fax to your Senators
now.*
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2BbvDlHGHVdilxHK14d%2B7GlNMBNs%2BpCtA>
We'll pay for the faxes, but if you can help with that, even better. You
can do so here, with our grateful appreciation
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=uHIxx4qD6mBJQsvxxeoNarDsyCFy6s0V>.

And make sure your friends and colleagues, children and parents,
co-workers and congregations, all have the opportunity to make their
voices heard too. Forward this Alert, or just forward this url:
http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5502/t/5846/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=2137
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=oRYyK0oZCvYxUGxfRRc1nbDsyCFy6s0V>,
so everyone can take action.

It will take all of us, reaching out as far and wide as we can, raising
our voices as loudly and effectively as we can, to beat back this effort
to nuke the climate bill.

Thanks for all you do,

Michael Mariotte

Executive Director

Nuclear Information and Resource Service

www.nirs.org
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=b%2FSizadPCuHshjZdxyMhuLDsyCFy6s0V>

nirsnet at nirs.org <mailto:nirsnet at nirs.org>