[Sustain] Fwd: Obama Administration Admits Looming Global Oil Shortage

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Thu Apr 1 13:51:27 PDT 2010

http://www.carolynbaker.net/site/content/view/1584/1/

OBAMA ADMINISTRATION COPS TO LIKELIHOOD OF LOOMING GLOBAL OIL SHORTAGE,
By Todd Brilliant 	PDF
<http://carolynbaker.net/site/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=1584>
	Print
<http://carolynbaker.net/site/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1584&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1>
	E-mail
<http://carolynbaker.net/site/index2.php?option=com_content&task=emailform&id=1584&itemid=1>

Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Reprinted from *POST CARBON INSTITUTE <http://carolynbaker.net/site/v>*

In an exclusive interview published March 25 in /_Le Monde_/
<http://petrole.blog.lemonde.fr/2010/03/25/washington-considers-a-decline-of-world-oil-production-as-of-2011/>,
Glen Sweetnam, the Obama administration’s official expert on the oil
market, confirmed nearly every element of the “Peak Oil” scenario that
many analysts both in and outside the oil industry have warned of for
years:

• A decline of world oil production could begin soon—perhaps next year, and
• Only extraordinary levels of investment by the oil industry can
maintain current rates of production much longer.

After decades of ignoring the “Peak Oil” theory that predicts global oil
production will peak and then rapidly decline, Sweetnam’s admission
marks a profound shift in the U.S. government’s position on energy
depletion.

"I understand how difficult it must be for officials of the Department
of Energy to acknowledge that the lifeblood of the industrial
economy--cheap oil--is disappearing faster than they had previously
forecast,” says Richard Heinberg, Senior Fellow at Post Carbon
Institute. “But the American People deserve the truth."

*Semantics Won’t Save Us*
While Sweetnam and the Obama Administration prefer to use the term
“undulating plateau” to “peak,” the terms are nearly identical. Lauren
Mayne, responsible for liquid fuel prospects at the Department of Energy
notes: “Once maximum world oil production is reached, that level will be
approximately maintained for several years thereafter, creating an
undulating plateau. After this plateau period, production will
experience a decline.”

“Approximately.” “Several years.” In other words, the Obama
Administration is predicting declining oil flow rates in the near
future. Also known as peak oil. With 2005 now standing as the record
year for total world crude production, we are already five years into
the "undulating plateau" forecast by the DoE. Regardless of the shape of
the mountaintop--years-long plateau or sharp peak--there is wide
consensus that we are about to head down the steep opposite slope.

Asher Miller, Executive Director of Post Carbon Institute, calls on the
Obama Administration and the DoE to be honest with the U.S. citizenry
about pending oil shortages and what it could mean to our economy and
way of life. “Since the DoE is as concerned, apparently, as we are about
the implications of energy constraints, perhaps the Department could
allocate just 1% of the money saved by terminating fossil fuel subsidies
to conduct a thorough and timely study of the impacts of high oil prices
and shortages, and what could be done to mitigate that impact. The
likelihood is that we will never again see an increase in the
availability of cheap oil. If we are honest about this, we would
immediately shift our investments from highway expansion to public
transit and rail.”

*A Call for Honesty*
Post Carbon Institute hereby issues a formal call for the U.S.
Department of Energy to come forward with all possible clarity and
directness on where the world stands with regard to future oil supplies.
The American people have already paid for this information through their
taxes and they will bear the brunt of higher oil prices if these are
indeed in the offing.

We also call for urgent updated studies on (1) what would be the
economic impacts of high oil prices and shortages, and (2) what could be
done mitigate those impacts. Independent analyses have so far suggested
that building public transit and rail, rather than more highways, would
give the nation more and better options in the event of a permanent
decline in world oil production; however, that conclusion will carry far
more weight if it bears the imprimatur of the DoE. If, as previous
studies suggest, world oil production is at or close to its peak and the
economic impacts will be severe, then it is incumbent upon government at
all levels to begin preparations.

The /Le Monde/ article follows upon three recent developments
prominently reported in foreign news services:

• On February 10, the UK Industry Task Force on Peak Oil and Energy
Security, headed by Sir Richard Branson of Virgin Airlines among other
prominent industrialists, issued a report, “/_The Oil Crunch: A wake-up
call for the UK economy_/
<http://peakoiltaskforce.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/final-report-uk-itpoes_report_the-oil-crunch_feb20101.pdf>,”
which forecast that “oil shortages, insecurity of supply and price
volatility will destabilise economic, political, and social activity
potentially by 2015.”

• On March 23, the British government convened a closed-door meeting
between energy minister Lord Hunt and the British business leaders
responsible for the headline-grabbing report.

• On March 22, the British Government’s former chief scientist, Sir
David King, reported that the world’s oil reserves have been exaggerated
by up to a third, and warned of shortages and price spikes within years.
A peer reviewed paper by Dr. King and others, soon to be published in
Energy Policy, supports the conclusion that world oil production may
soon go into decline, followed by shortages and price spikes.

ABOUT POST CARBON INSTITUTE
Post Carbon Institute provides individuals, communities, businesses, and
governments with the resources needed to understand and respond to the
interrelated economic, energy, and environmental crises that define the
21st century. PCI envisions a world of resilient communities and
re-localized economies that thrive within ecological bounds.

In addition to Senior Fellow Richard Heinberg, PCI Fellows include Bill
McKibben, Majora Carter, Wes Jackson, David Orr and 24 others. _Full
list of PCI Fellows_ <http://www.postcarbon.org/fellows/>.

POST CARBON INSTITUTE
Tel: +1.707.823.8700 • Fax: +1.866.797.5820
http://www.postcarbon.orgmedia at postcarbon.org
<mailto:media at postcarbon.org>

*EON*
The Ecological Options Network