[Sustain] 2 GM Items: Lowes Big Box Being Fast Tracked For Bayview/Bernal & Park Merced

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sun Mar 14 18:25:38 PDT 2010

Hi all,

1) A couple of years ago we successfully took a stand in opposition to
the Home Depot that was almost grandfathered into existence in the
Bayview/Bernal Bayshore corridor.

Now Supervisor Maxwell is moving to use the same grandfathered approval
of a big box use in that area to have the space taken over by another
multi-national big box hardware chain; Lowes.

Tomorrow (Monday, March 15) in the Land Use Committee, interim zoning
controls to begin the process of moving the project forward will be
taken up. See
http://www.sfbos.org/ftp/uploadedfiles/bdsupvrs/committees/materials/LU031510_091209.pdf

Since Campos is a cosponsor of the zoning rules, it is possible that he
will be more willing to compromise in favor of the big box than Ammiano
was, so this could be a tough fight if we take it up.

I'm going to be in that committee on a couple other issues and will also
speak against big box stores, however if we are really going to take a
stand on this, we should discuss it at this month's General Membership
meeting. I'll scope out the details at the hearing and try to talk to
Campos before our meeting. I recommend we take at least 10 minutes on
our agenda for this.

2) Aaron Goodman with Park Merced Residents wants some time on our
agenda to seek our help in opposing a development that they are opposing
in their complex. Attached is a PDF he sent me that lays out the issue
in detail. Should we give this 5 minutes?

cheers

Eric B