[Sustain] Secret Meeting On Delta Water Policy, Flees From Citizen Witnesses

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Oct 8 21:10:29 PDT 2010

  http://blogs.alternet.org/danbacher/2010/10/08/

  Secret Meeting Participants Flee From Delta Residents, Fishermen
  <http://blogs.alternet.org/danbacher/2010/10/08/secret-meeting-participants-flee-from-delta-residents-fishermen/>

POSTED:
<http://blogs.alternet.org/danbacher/2010/10/08/secret-meeting-participants-flee-from-delta-residents-fishermen/>
1:49 pm, October 8, 2010 COMMENT NOW!
<http://blogs.alternet.org/danbacher/2010/10/08/secret-meeting-participants-flee-from-delta-residents-fishermen/#comments>

Photo: Participants in the closed door Bay Delta Conservation Plan
meeting convened by the California Department of Water Resources chose
to leave rather than allow four Delta advocates stay in the room. Here
we see some of the meeting participants conferring before moving to an
undisclosed location. Photo by Dan Bacher.

640_img_0403.jpg original image ( 3456x2304)
*640_img_0403.jpg*
<http://www.indybay.org/uploads/2010/10/07/img_0403.jpg>original image (
3456×2304) <http://www.indybay.org/uploads/2010/10/07/img_0403.jpg>

Secret Meeting Participants Flee From Delta Residents, Fishermen

by Dan Bacher

The 50 participants in a secret meeting deciding the fate of the
Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta on September 30 decided to leave
rather than to allow four Delta advocates to listen to the proceedings.

Bill Jennings, chairman/executive director of the California
Sportfishing Protection Alliance (CSPA); Jim Crenshaw, president of
CSPA; Bret Baker, a Delta pear farmer, biologist and Restore the Delta
board member; and I disrupted the meeting of Bay Delta Conservation Plan
(BDCP) to protest the closed process.

We arrived at the meeting of "principals" of the BDCP at the Farm Bureau
office in Sacramento just as the meeting was getting started. You could
feel the tension and sense the surprise by the federal and state agency
officials, water agency leaders, corporate agribusiness officials and
others gathered there as we walked into the back of the room.

The Department of Water Resources has told legislators that they're not
welcome at meetings of signatories to the BDCP, the plan that state
water exporters have undertaken to secure their water supplies. Many
advocates view the BCDP as a thinly-veiled attempt by the Governor to
put in place the plans for a peripheral canal/tunnel before he leaves
office.

The meeting facilitator, Betsy, announced our unexpected arrival. "We
have guests in the room. Would you please identify yourselves?"

We all introduced ourselves and then the meeting stopped. The
facilitator talked to us about the process and why they had to meet in
secret so there would be no "attribution" of comments by participants.

"We have had to say no to other people who wanted to come to the
meetings," she stated. "This is not a definite plan we're coming up
with. This is a temporary process to give advice to the permanent process.

We were asked not to report the names of any of the participants or
attribute quotes to them. We refused. '
She emphasized, "The policy of non-attribution governs everything said
in this room. We don't let anybody from the press come to these meetings
since in the past the newspaper has served as the vehicle of
negotiations -- and we don't want that to happen."

Jennings responded that "the state and federal agencies are sending the
wrong message here. I have worked on protecting the estuary for 3
decades, but I have no representatives here. The representatives from
two Senate offices weren't allowed here either."

Baker and Crenshaw agreed with Jennings and myself that we had the right
to stay in the meeting. Betsy went back to the group and they said they
wanted to take a break to decide how to deal with our presence.

After a long delay, Betsy came back and stated, "The group as a whole
has asked you to leave."

Jennings, after asking under whose authority or jurisdiction we were
being asked to leave, said, "Are you prepared to have us arrested?"

Betsy received word from Natural Resources Secretary Lester Snow that
rather than having us arrested, they would not continue meeting in that
room unless we left. The participants then began leaving from the room,
disbanding the meeting.

After the meeting was disrupted, Jennings said, "I'm astounded that four
people involved in Delta issues for decades walked into a room and had
everybody walk out from continuing the discussion about the future of
the Delta."

"What I'm really disturbed by is the corruption of this public process
and how the participants are deciding the fate of the Delta behind
closed doors."

Jim Crenshaw noted, "I find it incredulous that these meetings are not
open to public."

Bret Baker added, "Today I feel like a proud American. I understand the
meaning of Margaret Mead's statement that 'Never doubt that a small
group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only
thing that ever has.'"

Representatives from the California Natural Resources Agency, California
Department of Water Resources, California Department of Fish and Game,
Westlands Water District, Metropolitan Water District, federal agencies,
environmental NGOs and other organizations attended the closed-door
session at the Farm Bureau before the four of us disrupted it.

Sandy Cooney, deputy secretary for communications for the California
Natural Resources Agency, was critical of our effort to attend the
secret meeting in the Central Valley Business Times on September 30.

"There's a lot of discussions that are happening in the course of
developing the Bay Delta Conservation Plan that will go into the public
process of how the plan is eventually developed," Mr. Cooney claimed.
"No decisions, not a single decision, is going to be made if it doesn't
eventually go through the public process and the steering committee of
the Bay Delta Conservation Plan."

"Mr. Cooney insists that plans for the Delta, the largest estuary on the
west coast of the western hemisphere, will be done in a transparent
way," the article added.

Mike Wade of the California Farm Water Coalition also slammed our
attempt to attend the BDCP closed-door meeting.

"The action taken by these four individuals have probably done more to
set back efforts to resolve California's water crisis and protect the
Delta than any one action in recent memory," Wade stated. "What a shame."

In reaction to Wade's comment, Jennings quipped, "I don't know whether
to take a bow or to open the champagne. Unfortunately, the principals
convened their secret session at another location after we left and then
again at an undisclosed location the following day."

These meetings have been going forward behind closed doors since August
in what Resources Secretary Lester Snow told lawmakers was "a key
procedural component of the public BDCP Steering Committee process."
Speaking seats at the meeting had been reserved for "principals,"
representatives of the entities who have financed the planning process.

I observed representatives from the California Natural Resources Agency,
California Department of Water Resources, California Department of Fish
and Game, Westlands Water District, Metropolitan Water District, federal
agencies, environmental NGOs and other organizations at the closed-door
session at the Farm Bureau.

Jonas Minton of the Planning and Conservation League noted that
exporters had withdrawn from the public BDCP process when confronted
with overwhelming scientific evidence that exports from the Bay-Delta
would have to be reduced to save the Estuary. "They've been frantically
trying to come up with some kind of agreement that could be signed
before this Governor leaves office," said Minton.

A sharply worded letter sent on September 16 by Members of Congress and
the California legislature urging Lester Snow and Interior Secretary Ken
Salazar to open the BDCP talks to the public and include Delta
representation preceded our visit to the secret meeting.

State Senator Lois Wolk (D-Davis), Senate President Pro Tem Darrell
Steinberg, and Congressional Representatives John Garamendi, Doris
Matsui, Jerry McNerney, George Miller and Mike Thompson officially
requested that the meetings be more inclusive and transparent. State
Senator Mark DeSaulnier and State Assembly Members Bill Berryhill, Joan
Buchanan, Alyson Huber, Tom Torlakson and Mariko Yamada also signed the
letter.

A similar push to the BDCP by the Governor has driven the Marine Life
Protection Act (MLPA) process going forward in coastal Northern
California, noted Barbara Barrigan-Parrilla, campaign director of
Restore the Delta.

"The MLPA Initiative, like the BDCP process, has been characterized by
attempts to bypass open meeting laws," said Barrigan-Parrilla. " In that
case, MLPA officials limited media coverage of their 'work
sessions,'which they distinguish from public meetings. One independent
journalist was arrested for trying to film "work session" proceedings."

Newspaper industry and civil liberties attorneys protested, saying the
process violated the Bagley-Keene Open Meetings Act and the First
Amendment. Under political pressure, MLPA Executive Director Ken Wiseman
opened up the "work sessions" to videographers and photographers.

For more news coverage of the meeting, go to:
http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=16448. For
more information about Restore the Delta, go to:
http://www.restorethedelta.org <http://www.restorethedelta.org/>.