[Sustain] Fwd: Alert: CA Bill Would Allow Desert Tortoise Habitat Destruction For Solar Farm

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Wed May 9 09:50:31 PDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

"Kim Delfino Defenders of Wildlife" <defenders at mail.defenders.org>

Wed, 9 May 2012 10:26:35 -0500 (CDT)
Subject:
Bulldozing tortoises?
Defenders of Wildlifewildlife-alert-stationery.jpg

Desert Tortoise (Beth Jackson, USFWS)
<http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=vm-ZDYNSAT0_8loKLR_mxw>

AB 1073 would allow the destructive Calico Solar Project to wreak havoc
on the sensitive Pisgah Valley -- and the struggling desert tortoises,
bighorn sheep and other wildlife that depend on it for survival.

Protect California's Desert Wildlife - Take Action Button
<http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=9Xq5vMSWz2UD6iXRkrg08w>

*Write your State Assembly member urging them to reject AB 1073 -- a
harmful bill that would destroy sensitive habitat that struggling desert
wildlife depend on to survive.*
<http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=RgRVepuDsaK5FufzAiI8iQ>

Share on Facebook! Share on Facebook
<http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=ckGZKYWkQrAQk1O8H5sx8Q>

*A bill quickly moving through the State Assembly could spell disaster
for California's struggling desert tortoises, bighorn sheep and other
desert wildlife.*

*The final vote in the Legislature could happen as early as tomorrow.*

*Please take action now: Write your State Assembly member urging them to
reject AB 1073 -- a harmful bill that would destroy sensitive habitat
that struggling desert wildlife depend on to survive.*
<http://actiondefenders.org/site/R?i=4vOQm_E7HBkuU_m78y0qiQ>

AB 1073 is a dangerous bill that exempts the Calico Solar Project --
*one of the most harmful proposed solar projects in the state* -- from
crucial environmental reviews.

*Even worse, this bill is being rushed through the Legislature with NO
hearing on the substance of the bill in the State Assembly.* In fact,
Defenders and our partners were poised to kill this bill in the Assembly
Natural Resources Committee on Monday, but *in a completely
unprecedented move, the bill sponsors were able to get AB 1073 pulled
from the committee hearing and sent directly to the Assembly Floor for a
vote.*

If this bill passes, *the Calico Solar Project would be allowed to tear
through the heart of the Pisgah Valley's sensitive desert habitat* --
/and would destroy the homes that threatened desert tortoises, iconic
bighorn sheep and other desert wildlife need to survive./

*We can't let this happen. *

*Please take action now to oppose AB1073.*
<http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=eVglEdIZ2YcwJfdsEmp2TQ>

For years, Defenders and our conservation partners have been
successfully working with solar companies and state, local and federal
agencies to ensure that alternative energy projects are "smart from the
start" -- and consider the impacts on our wildlife and wild places.

But backers of the more than 4,000-acre Calico Project have rejected
alternatives offered by conservationists and land planners, *opting
instead for a plan to that will severely impact the heart of
California's sensitive desert habitat.*

Now, their allies in the State Assembly are going all out to allow the
project to move forward -- /even pulling questionable legislative
maneuvers to sneak the bill through the Assembly./

*Our desert wildlife needs your voice now. Please write your Assembly
member today and urge them to reject this terrible bill.*
<http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=9osuapBakIMtjBWjGrKKNw>

Thank you for all you do to protect our wildlife and wild places.

Kim Delfino
Sincerely,

*Kim Delfino*
California Program Director
Defenders of Wildlife

PixelServer?j=nJvHp8avHaGx_lM31XNcgg

	footer-text.png
<http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=_sQtqdeIXAcbD4pP-olwvA>

	© Copyright 2012 Defenders of Wildlife  |  1130 17th Street NW  |
 Washington, DC 20036  |  1-800-385-9712

	footer-badge-readers-digest.png

	HOME <http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=sI9VEckXh_SxYlqmJj8K9g>
DONATE NOW <http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=RjCawPfSakXJsN45c7x2Ew>

	CONTACT US
<http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=WuFFK-SDPDrze646z9AILw> 	RSS FEEDS
<http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=95Et813lIza1PWfbiR2UjQ>

	PRIVACY POLICY
<http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=Wl32QpOUMqMsuNEyyxSZjQ> 	TERMS OF
USE <http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=uC5Q-LmYZ-9oBQPOpr10cw>

© Copyright 05/09/2012 Defenders of Wildlife.

/Defenders of Wildlife is a national, nonprofit membership organization
dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in
their natural communities./

Defenders of Wildlife can be contacted at:
1130 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036