[Sustain] CEQA UPDATE: Hearing Today, But Next Key Hearing, Mon, June 10

Eric Brooks brookse32 at earthlink.net
Mon May 20 11:20:16 PDT 2013

Brief CEQA Update - Hearings Today & June 10

Hi all,

It looks like we are getting a breather from the intense CEQA schedule
that we have been under and can plan for our next strategy meeting to be
in the first week of June.

Our legislative drafting team has been in intense negotiations with
Supervisor Chiu for the last two weeks and Chiu has decided to continue
the CEQA item in today's Land Use hearing until Monday, June 10 when we
are hoping to have a final and acceptable compromise CEQA procedures
measure ready for a vote of the Board of Supervisors. I'll send an email
soon proposing a June 3 meeting (either at the Main Library or City Hall
at around 12 noon) so that we can regroup and prepare for the hearing
the following week. (NOTE: We should also begin discussing the looming
and very serious threat to CEQA posed by the 'One Bay Area Plan'
development rules juggernaut. See
http://onebayarea.org/regional-initiatives/plan-bay-area.html )

Today's Hearing

With that said, it wouldn't hurt for a few of us to attend today's
hearing to make sure everything goes according to plan, and to reiterate
a core message that if the San Francisco CEQA appeal trigger is going to
be pushed to an earlier time in the process, we need -other- rules to be
assured that enable the community sufficient CEQA protections; such as a
longer appeal window, the strongest possible noticing, and a -very-
strong definition for project modifications which would mandate CEQA
review with the rock solid ability to appeal the Planning Department's
decisions on such project modification assessments.

The hearing starts today at 1:30pm in SF City Hall Room 263 and the CEQA
items are numbers 5, 6, and 7, so showing up by about 2pm is likely soon
enough if you want to be there to comment.

I'll send a more detailed report-back soon with next meeting and hearing
details.

in solidarity,

Eric Brooks
Campaign Coordinator, Our City