[SFGP] San Francisco Green Party Weekly

ErikaSF at aol.com ErikaSF at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 09:46:02 PST 2004

Hello Fellow Greens,

As 2004 draws to a close, we can be proud as ever to be Green. Nationally,
Green Party Presidential candidate David Cobb has been leading the charge to
make sure every vote is counted. Locally, we continue to prove our strength by
electing great candidates to office and pushing forward a positive progressive
agenda.  Let's keep it up, and be better and stronger than ever in 2005!

In this update:
1. News
2. Events

NEWS:
Congratulations to Micheas Herman, who was added to our San Francisco Green
Party County Council.

The Ohio recount controversy continues. To clarify from last week's
newsletter, the Congressional "hearing" in which Green Party Presidential candidate
David Cobb and others testified was not an official Congressional hearing. This
is because, despite the issuing of invitations by the Democratic Minority
members to their GOP Majority brethren on the Judiciary Committee, not one
Republican congressman bothered to show up or give their blessing to the proceedings.
Read more about the Ohio recount at http://www.votecobb.org.

A slide show about potential election fraud has been posted on the Web at
http://www.ElectionFraud2004.org This is an easy way to get up to speed on
concerns about election irregularities.

The Green Party of California has officially endorsed a boycott of gasoline
purchases on Mondays to protest the denial of driver's licenses to millions of
immigrants in the state, and urged the more than 160,000 registered Green
voters and all Californians to honor the boycott immediately. Other organizations
participating in the MAPA coalition include the California Coalition for
Immigrant's Rights and Against Raids, Centro Azteca de Informacion, the Council of
Mexican Federations, Hermandad Mexicana Latinoamericana, Centro CSO and MAPA
Youth Leadership.

Chris Daly sported his Matt for Mayor necktie at a recent Board meeting. Daly
credited Matt with making it "popular in San Francisco to be progressive."
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/17/WBGLBAB2FB1.DTL

Matt's last TV show on Comcast Cable channel 11 and 32 is with Jonathan
Richman.  Show times are Tuesday, 12/21 at 7 PM, Wednesday, 12/22 at 8 PM,
Saturday, 12/25 at 7 PM, and Sunday, 12/26 at 8 PM.

Matt was also interviewed in the San Francisco Examiner.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/index.cfm/i/121504n_gonzalez

Matt did some interviewing himself when he spoke with Walter Wong.
http://www.sfcall.com/issues%202004/12.13.04/12.14.04%20wong%20gonzalez.htm

Our own Kimberley Knox also had an article recently in SF Call.
The Courage to Risk Everything
http://www.sfcall.com/issues%202004/12.13.04/12.14.04%20knox.htm

The SF Bay Guardian explains how Newsom's "Care, Not Cash" program is just a
public relations gimmick:
http://www.sfbg.com/39/11/news_homeless.html

The Democrats are considering getting into bed with anti-choice movement.

EVENTS:
Monday, December 20
Join us Monday at noon on the Polk Street steps of City Hall for the Grinch
Gavin rally. Come around 11:30 to help set up and put Green face paint and
Santa hats on people. Mayor Gavin Newsom has a drastic plan to cut $97 million in
city services just after the holidays. These devastating cuts will hurt
seniors, families and kids, as well as poor and working people. This rally is being
sponsored by the new SAN FRANCISCO PEOPLES ORGANIZATION, and is endorsed by
Senior Action Network, Senior Housing Action Collaborative, Planning for Elders,
SF Gray Panthers & DisabledCommunity.org, Coalition for Public Health,
Religious Witness, and former Supervisor Harry Britt.

Monday, December 20
Come to a meeting to help plan our Inaugration Party, scheduled for January
22. Planning meeting will be from 7 - 9 PM at the San Francisco Green Party
office, located at 1028 A Howard Street in San Francisco.

Tuesday, January 4
This date marks the last meeting of the Board of Supervisors with Board
President Matt Gonzalez, and we plan to give him a big send-off!  Come to the Board
meeting at City Hall at 2 PM, and wear any Matt for Mayor t-shirts, buttons
etc., you have.  More details on this to come later.

Thanks to all of our members for your continued support! This will be our
last newsletter for 2004. Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Warm Regards,
Erika McDonald
To have an item included in this newsletter, send email to erikasf at aol.com.
No attachments please.