[SFGP] San Francisco Green Party Weekly

ErikaSF at aol.com ErikaSF at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 09:37:38 PST 2004

Hello Fellow Greens,

Are we enjoying having our November and December back?  We can thank Instant
Runoff Voting (IRV), the gift that keeps on giving!  Contact Steven Hill at
the Center for Voting & Democracy for more of the latest news on IRV,
shill at fairvote.org.

Don't forget the party with Matt Gonzalez this Saturday, December 11 and our
General Membership Meeting on December 15.

In this update:
1. News
2. Events
3. Application for National Women's Caucus of the Green Party of the United
States

NEWS:
Matt Gonzalez has sponsored a resolution at the Board of Supervisors honoring
Green Party Presidential candidate in Colombia, Ingrid Betancourt.  Marking
1000 days of captivity, Ingrid is being honored for her commitment to a
peaceful resolution of the conflict, calling on the government to negotiate the
release of her and 3000 other captives, and enumerating the cost of the "war on
drugs".
http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/bdsupvrs/resolutions04/r0729-04.pdf

The Green Party's 2004 Presidential Candidate David Cobb took part in an
important and dramatic Congressional hearing about voting irregularities and
disenfranchisement in Ohio.  The hearings aired live on KPFA-FM and C-Span, but
didn't get much coverage in the mainstream press.  Read more about the hearings
at: http://www.Votecobb.org
http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/1293
http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/120904W.shtml

Newsdesk.org published the article "A Very American Voter Education", which
quotes our own Micheas Herman. http://www.newsdesk.org/archives/000029.php

Newsdesk.org also has an article on the Ohio Recount from Savannah Blackwell,
who recently wrote about Matt Gonzalez's advice to his successor, Ross
Mirkarimi, at http://www.sfprogressive.com

Medea Benjamin was interviewed in the December issue of The Progressive
magazine.
http://www.progressive.org/dec04/intv1204.html

EVENTS:
Friday, December 10
Renee Saucedo for Supervisor Campaign is hosting a gathering to consider next
steps for universal health care, living wage jobs, affordable housing and
better options for youth. Join us for a lively post-election discussion and party
to retire the campaign debt, celebrate our achievements and continue the
movement for social and economic justice. Pot luck - bring a dish if you can, but
bring your appetite. Live music. Time is 7 - 10 PM, location is 187 Bocana,
off Cortland. For more information, call 415-248-1620, email
Renee4Supe at riseup.net or http://www.reneesaucedo.com.

Friday, December 10
Join Rainforest Action Network, The Ruckus Society, Global Exchange, and the
SF Department of the Environment for their 5th Annual Holiday for Hellraisers
Extravaganza.  Come and enjoy drinks, music, entertainment, and snacks.  This
event is being held from 6:30 PM until midnight at the Women's Building,
located at 3543 18th Street in San Francisco.

Saturday, December 11
Come to a seminar and holiday party with Matt Gonzalez and other community
leaders to discuss the recent election results and how they may affect housing
and land-use issues in 2005, sponsored by the Green Party Housing and Land Use
working group. The event is being held from 6 - 9 PM at New College of
California, 777 Valencia Street, near 19th Street. For more information contact David
Wilbur at drwsf at sbcglobal.net.

CANCELLED! Tuesday, December 14
A party to celebrate the success of Instant Runoff Voting (IRV) has been
cancelled. The SFGP will be having an event on January 22 to celebrate our local
victories. Details to be announced.

Wednesday, December 15
San Francisco Green Party General Meeting will begin at 7:30 PM at the SFGP
office, located at 1028 A Howard Street.
Agenda:
1. Second reading of the GCC quorum bylaws change
2. Elect Micheas Herman to the GCC
3. Progressive Inauguration event - Susan and Kim will bring suggestions for
venue and program. Venue will be a straw poll by IRV to select location
4. Working Group policy
5. Announcements - announce strategy meetings for January General Meeting
6. Independence Proposal
7. Grassroots Democracy Proposal.

Thursday, December 16
The National Women's Political Caucus, San Francisco is welcoming the public
to its first annual holiday party, which will feature local politicos of all
stripes, genders, and ages.  The event begins at 7 PM at Mission District
hotspot The Make Out Room, located at 3225 22nd Street in San Francisco.  A $5
donation is requested.
http://www.nwpc-sf.org/

Saturday, December 18
StudioZ Gallery and Create Space present an exhibit of contemporary and
politically charged art "BUSH SUCKS!" An opening reception for this show will be
held at StudioZ Gallery, located at 1515 Folsom Street near 11th Street in San
Francisco. Reception is from 9 PM - 3 AM, 21 and over only please. The exhibit,
which includes 20 top San Francisco artists, runs through December 28.

APPLICATION for NATIONAL WOMEN'S CAUCUS of the GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED
STATES
The National Women's Caucus is now a full, accredited Caucus!
The GPUS Women's Caucus requires verification from your state that you are a
Green Party member.
You may forward your application to Leslie Bonett to verify your GPCA
membership: Leslie Bonett, a GPUS Delegation Alternate: lesliebe at greens.org.

1. To join, please fill out Part I of this form.
2. Forward this message to your state Green Party chair or co-chairs,
national Green Party delegates, or membership
secretary, and ask them to complete Part II, and forward to:
natlwomens-caucus at greens.org.
3. Forward your completed application Part I to: natlwomens-caucus at greens.org.

GPUS Delegates are automatically verified, but we still need your reply with
the information requested below
in Part I of the form.
Sincerely,
Holly Hart
GPUS Women's Caucus List Administrator
APPLICATION for MEMBERSHIP in the NATIONAL WOMEN'S
CAUCUS of the GREEN PARTY of the UNITED STATES
Part I - To be filled out by applicant

Name:
Address:
Street/P.O. Box:
City:
State, Zip Code:
Phone #:
E-mail address:

Please list membership in any other Green Party Caucuses:

Please list any local, state or national Green Party offices you currently
hold, if any:

Because we want the Caucus to be as diverse and inclusive as possible in
membership, leadership, participation,
candidates for public office, media inclusion, speakers, etc., please provide
the following information to help us comply with the Caucus mission, by-laws
and the GPUS key value of diversity and inclusion.  You are not required to
provide this information to be a member, but it would be very helpful in
enabling us to ensure diversity and inclusion.

Please list all that apply:
a Elder
b) Youth
c) Disabled
d) GLBTIQ
e) American Indian
f) Black
g) African American
h) Latino
i) Asian
j) White
k) Other (specify)
Part II - to be completed by state Green Party chair/co-chairs (or national
GPUS delegates or membership secretary) and forwarded to:
natlwomens-caucus at greens.org
"We certify that the applicant named above is a member of the State Green
Party listed on the application, and
that the information included is, to the best of our knowledge, accurate."

Name:
Office (chair, co-chair, membership secretary, or
national GPUS delegate):
State Party:
E-mail address:
Telephone:
Address:

Thanks to all of our members for your continued support!

Warm Regards,
Erika McDonald
To have an item included in this newsletter, send a message to
erikasf at aol.com. No attachments please.