[SFGP] San Francisco Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Apr 21 21:07:12 PDT 2005

Hello Fellow Greens,

In this week's newsletter:

- Remembering Marla Ruzicka, 1977-2005
- SF Green Party Earth Day Open House, April 22 6-9 pm
- *ENCORE* Free Screening and Panel discussion: End of Suburbia, April 27
- Party for Aimee Allison in Oakland, April 22, 6 pm (for our E.B. friends)
- Volunteer for Aimee Allison, April 23-24
- Enough is Enough! Forum for Environmental and Social Justice in Hunter's
  Point, April 30
- Earth Day Beach Clean Up, April 23
- ChevronTexaco's Rainforest Legacy photo exhibit (San Ramon), April 25-28
- News: IRV in Berkeley
- News: Military Recruitment

Gone too soon: Goodbye, Marla Ruzicka, 1977-2005

As many of you know, the conflict in Iraq has claimed another life,
longtime Green Party activist Marla Ruzicka.  Marla had been working
in Iraq for the past two years as founder of her own humanitarian aid
organization CIVIC, which assists innocent victims of war in Iraq and
Afghanistan.  She was killed by a car bomb on Saturday, and her
untimely and violent death has sent shock waves around the world.
For those of us who knew her, her passing leaves an indelible sadness
which is compounded by the utter senselessness of this war.

For those wishing to honor Marla's life, her family requests that
donations be sent to CIVIC (donate online at www.civicworldwide.org).

Here are some links in remembrance (more on our website):
Kevin and Medea: http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0418-20.htm
Matt Gonzalez: http://www.sfbg.com/39/29/news_obit_marla_ruzicka.html

Earth Day Open House at the SF Green Party
When: Friday, April 22, 6-9 pm
Where: SF Green Party office, 1028 A Howard

Join Green Party activists, Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi and School Board
members Sarah Lipson and Mark Sanchez on Friday, April 22nd to celebrate
Earth Day at the Green Party's open house from 6:00-9:00 pm. The event also
celebrates the second year anniversary of the SF Green Party's office space
at 1028 A Howard. This is an opportunity to see what the Party is doing to
make SF a better place.

Come on by for a meeting-free evening with the SFGP to meet Greens,
progressive activists, and elected leaders, enjoy light refreshments and
beverages and then dance to the beats of the SFGP's DJ Platypus!

The event is free and open to the public.  For more info, please call
701-7090.

Free Encore Screening and panel discussion: End of Suburbia

When: Wednesday, April 27, doors, 6:30 pm, show 7, ends at 10:00
Where: The Off-Market Theater at 965 Mission Street, between 5th and 6th
streets

The Transportation and Energy working groups present:

A free screening of "The End of Suburbia: Oil Depletion and the Collapse of
the American Dream." followed by a panel discussion with:

- Peter Camejo, former vice-presidential and gubernatorial candidate
- Ross Mirkarimi, D5 supervisor and long-time advocate for public power
- Leah Shahum, executive director of the SF Bicycle Coalition
- moderated by Dave Room of the Post-Carbon Institute
Come early; the theater seats about 70 people and our last showing
in January filled up quickly!

Donations for the SFGP gladly accepted.

Matt Gonzalez and Peter Camejo invite you to attend a campaign celebration
for Aimee Allison for Oakland City Council, Friday, April 22nd

La Estrellita Bar & Restaurant
446 East 12th Street (at 5th Avenue), Oakland
Map: http://www.aimeeallison.org/La_Estrellita_4_22.php

Doors open at 6pm

Special guests include:
- Wilson Riles, former Oakland City Council Member
- Clarence Thomas, Executive Board Member - I.L.W.U., Local 10
- Jesse Muldoon, Site Rep. - Oakland Teachers Association
- Spoken word poetry by the Molotov Mouths Outspoken Word Troupe

Elect Aimee Allison for Oakland City Council! Now is the time for the
power of the people to raise up and take a stand against the machine. Please
come out this weekend to make phone calls, walk precincts and table
information booths for this crucial chapter in this campaign.

When: *Saturday and Sunday, April 23-24
Where: Campaign HQ: 3242 Grand Ave, a few doors down from the Grand Theater

*Saturday the 23th: Walk with Aimee Allison and Sierra Club members
(10:30am). Phone bank (10am). Tabling (any time).

*Sunday the 24th: Walk with Aimee Allison (10:30am). Tabling (any time).
Meet at the Campaign HQ -3242 Grand Ave- callers at 10am, walkers at 10:30
A.M. We'll have breakfast, with coffee and tea ready for you, and we'll
provide a bag lunch as well. Let us know if you want a vegetarian or meat
sandwich.

We also need helping hands ANY DAY of the week, 10am-9pm. Please sign-up
today by replying to this e-mail or calling our campaign headquarters at
(510) 594-7772. We're on the AC Transit #12 bus line from 19th Street BART.

Enough is Enough! Forum Social and Environmental Injustice in Hunter's Point
When: Saturday, April 30, 7pm
Where: Bayview Opera House, 3rd and Oakdale

Hosted by Campaign to End the Death Penalty, ACORN, the Idriss Stelly
Foundation

Join Green Party activist Charlene Smythe and others for a panel discussion
on social and environmental injustice in the southeast sector of SF.
Discussion will include engaging the progressive community in issues that
impact Bayview Hunter's Point and Visitacion Valley, violence in the
community, environmental racism and the criminal justice system.

Earth Day Beach Clean Up with Coral Reef Alliance and the Surfrider
Foundation.

When: April 23, 1:00-4:00 pm
Where: Ocean Beach, entrance #17 between Fulton and Lincoln on the Great Hwy

Join The Coral Reef Alliance and the Surfrider Foundation for an
afternoon of fun!  Clean up Ocean Beach in the name of Earth Day while
winning great prizes and learning more about our aquaticenvironments. Be a part of something big this year and join tens of
thousands of people, worldwide, in the Dive In To Earth Day movement,
by protecting your local aquatic environment. Join us at Ocean Beach,
the day after Earth Day, to take part in this global event.

Join Amazon Watch and San Ramon Cares for the launch of a photo exhibit:

Crude Reflections: ChevronTexaco's Rainforest Legacy

Lou Dematteis and Kayana Szymczak
Photo Exhibit - San Ramon, California
April 25-28, 2005

Exhibit is free and open to the public April 26-28, 11 am to 9 pm

View exhibit online at www.amazonwatch.org
Information: Amazon Watch (415) 487-9600

IRV Struggle in Berkeley: SF Green Party activist Dave Heller quoted:
"Diebold is holding the county hostage to try to extort money,'' said Dave
Heller, a co-coordinator of the successful campaign for instant-runoff
voting in Berkeley, where it was approved by voters last year.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/04/20/BAGP2CBS6J1.DTL

Military Recruitment: The SF Bay Guardian covered the growing
anti-recruitment movement, quoting Green Party candidate Aimee
Allison, who is also a Gulf War Conscientious Objector.

http://www.sfbg.com/39/29/news_military_recruiters.html