[SFGP] San Francisco Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Apr 13 19:25:13 PDT 2005

Greetings,

	Here are the key upcoming events for the SF Green Party:

April 14:  Join the SF Green Party as we put on a Gala House Party for
Oakland City Council candidate Aimee Allison on Thursday, April 14.
The party will be co-hosted by several Green Party Luminaries
including Medea Benjamin, Lisa Feldstein, Susan King, June Brashares,
Ross Mirkarimi, and Renee Saucedo.  6:30-8:30 PM at Lisa Feldstein's
house (directions below).

April 22:  Join Green Party activists, Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi and
School Board member Sarah Lipson on Friday, April 22nd to celebrate
Earth Day at the Green Party's open house from 6:00-9:00 pm. The event
also celebrates the second year anniversary of the SF Green Party's
office space at 1028 A Howard. This is an opportunity to see what the
Party is doing to make SF a better place.

April 27:  We apologize again to those turned away from our first (sold
out) showing of "End of Suburbia" and panel discussion of peak oil?
We're planning an encore showing later this month with Peter Camejo,
Ross Mirkarimi, and Leah Shahum.  Time and location are given below.

Here's a list of all events in the newsletter:

1. Aimee Allison fundraiser, April 14 6:30-8:30
2. Ross Mirkarimi Art Party, April 15 5:00-8:00
3. District 5 Community Forum with Ross Mirkarimi April 16, 11:00-1:00
4. Say No to the Vigilantes, Protect Immigrant Rights, April 16-19
5. Help elect Aimee Allison, weekend mobilizations April 16-17
6. Say No to Sweatshops, April 18
7. SF Green Party General Membership meeting, April 20
8. Earth Day Open House with the SF Green Party, April 22
9. End of Suburbia movie showing and panel discussion, April 27

1. Aimee Allison Fundraiser in San Francisco

Join the SF Green Party as we put on a Gala House Party for Aimee on
Thursday, April 14

The party will be co-hosted by many SF Greens, including Medea
Benjamin, Lisa Feldstein, Susan King, June Brashares, Ross Mirkarimi,
Renee Saucedo and the Feminist Issues Group of the San Francisco Green
Party

The fundraiser will be held at the home of Lisa Feldstein:
Location: 793 Cole in San Francisco
Time:  6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Mass Transit: Muni lines N-Judah, 43, 37 and 6
Map: http://www.aimeeallison.org/Map_Feldstein.php

To RSVP call 415-863-6637 or reply by email to staff at ncalcofc.org

2. Ross Mirkarimi Art Party, third Fridays of every month.

Come by and check out local art by Andrew Shultz.

What: Art Party
When: Friday, April 15 6-8 pm
Where: City Hall, Room 282

3. District forum with Ross Mirkarimi

Please join Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi to discuss important issues in D5 and
San Francisco.

The event is at the African American Arts & Culture Complex 762 Fulton
Street, Suite #300 San Francisco, CA 94102

REFRESHMENTS WILL BE PROVIDED

This is the opportunity to get answers to your questions about:

Job creation
Training youth
Senior programming
Violence prevention

Representatives from the police, rec & park, department of parking and
traffic, department of public works, department of public health,
redevelopment agency, and mayor's office of community development will
be there.

4. JOIN THE CALIFORNIA DELEGATION TO ARIZONA TO SEND THE MESSAGE: NO
VIGILANTEISM ON THE US/MEXICO BORDER! IMMIGRANT RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS!

On April 17-18, a California delegation of immigrant rights and human rights
activists will be in Douglas, Arizona to respond to the presence of
vigilantes on the US/M?xico border, and to their hate messages.

This group of 20-40 activists, in coordination with allies in Arizona, will
counter the national media coverage and international attention that the
"Minutemen" have received with our message: We will not tolerate
vigilanteism against immigrant communities!  Immigrant rights are human
rights!

SCHEDULE:
APRIL 16: Vehicles will leave from Centro del Pueblo, 474 Valencia St. at 7
am. Riders will be expected to pay at least $50 for gas. Drive to Arizona
takes approximately 13 hours.
APRIL 17: Join ally organizations for border vigil.
APRIL 18: Peaceful march and press conference at the border, in front of the
vigilantes' posts.
Return to California. Meeting place in Douglas to be announced.

5. Weekend mobilizations for Aimee Allison for Oakland City Council
Help us elect a Green to Oakland's City Council!
SATURDAY & SUNDAY:
10:30 am ~ Precinct Walking and Literature Drops
10am ~ phone bank @ campaign HQ
9am ~ tabling at Lakeshore Farmer's Market (Sat) and Laney Flea Market (Sun)

We also have exciting shifts every day doing early morning outreach, mid-day
office and outreach work, and evening precinct walking and phone bank fun!

Call 510-594-7772 or e-mail us at volunteer4aimee at earthlink.net to sign up.
Or, just stop by Campaign HQ at 3242 Grand Avenue, Oakland. We're just 4
doors up from the Grand Lake Theater on the 12 bus line from 19th Street
BART.

6. SWEATFREE LOBBY DAY
Monday, April 18th, 10am - 1pm
City Hall, San Francisco
Meet on front steps, Polk Street

For more information and to RSVP contact
Andy at 415-255-7296 x352, sweatfree at globalexchange.org  or
Valerie at 415-558-6938, valerie at globalexchange.org

http://www.NoMoreSweatshops.org

7. SFGP General Membership meeting

We will be voting on the endorsement of College Not Combat campaign
initiative, selecting delegates to the state Green Party meeting in LA.

What: SFGP General Meeitng
When: Weds, April 20, 7:30-9:30
Where: SFGP office, 1028 A Howard

8. Earth Day celebration with the SFGP

Join Green Party activists, Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi and School Board
member Sarah Lipson on Friday, April 22nd to celebrate Earth Day at the
Green Party's open house from 6:00-9:00 pm. The event also celebrates the
second year anniversary of the SF Green Party's office space at 1028 A
Howard. This is an opportunity to see what the Party is doing to make SF a
better place.

Come on by to meet Greens, progressive activists, and elected leaders, enjoy
light refreshments and beverages and a meeting-free evening with us.
The event is free and open to the public. 1028 A Howard Street (between 6th
and 7th sts). For more info, please call 701-7090.

9.  ENCORE!  The Transportation and Energy working groups present:

A second free screening of "The End of Suburbia: Oil Depletion and the
Collapse of the American Dream," followed by a panel discussion with
Peter Camejo, former vice-presidential and gubernatorial candidate;
Ross Mirkarimi, district five supervisor and long-time advocate for
public power; and Leah Shahum, executive director of the SF Bicycle
Coalition; moderated by Dave Room of the Post-Carbon Institute.

When: April 27
Doors open at 6:30 p.m., Showtime at 7 p.m., panel over by 10 p.m.
Where: The Off-Market Theater at 965 Mission Street, between 5th and
6th streets

Donations for the SFGP gladly accepted.

For more info on our activities, please see our website,
http://www.sfgreenparty.org.  You can also email us questions at
info at sfgreens.org.  To send us news items (short blurb please, plain
text only) for possible inclusion in the newsletter, email
news at sfgreens.org.