[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Jul 14 15:10:23 PDT 2005

SFGP WEEKLY
For The Week of 7/14/05 - 7/21/05
This Week:
News:
7/8: If we are fighting insurgency in Iraq, what makes us think insurgency
won't come to us?
7/9: Terrorism, "The War on Terror" and the Message of Carnage
7/12: Nurses and Teachers "Stop Arnold"
7/12: California Senate Passes Historic Marriage Equality Legislation
- 7/15: Green Convergence at the Bohemian Grove
- 7/15: Sup. Ross Mirkirimi Hosts Art Opening Commemorating the 60th
Anniversary of the Hiroshima Bombing
- 7/16 and 7/23: Defend a Woman's Right to Choose!  Stop the anti-abortion
"Crusade for Life"
- 7/17: United Farm Workers Rally and March
- 7/21-7/23: "Spiritual Activism Network" Conference
Announcements:
- Joke of the Week
- Become A Sustainer!
News
7/8: If we are fighting insurgency in Iraq, what makes us think insurgency
won't come to us?
By Robert Fisk
"If you bomb our cities," Osama bin Laden said in one of his recent video
tapes, "we will bomb yours." There you go, as they say. It was crystal clear
Britain would be a target ever since Tony Blair decided to join George
Bush's "war on terror" and his invasion of Iraq. We had, as they say, been
warned. The G8 summit was obviously chosen, well in advance, as Attack Day.
And it's no use Mr Blair telling us yesterday that "they will never succeed
in destroying what we hold dear". "They" are not trying to destroy "what we
hold dear". They are trying to get public opinion to force Blair to withdraw
from Iraq, from his alliance with the United States, and from his adherence
to Bush's policies in the Middle East. The Spanish paid the price for their
support for Bush - and Spain's subsequent retreat from Iraq proved that the
Madrid bombings achieved their objectives - while the Australians were made
to suffer in Bali.
It is easy for Tony Blair to call yesterdays bombings "barbaric" - of course
they were - but what were the civilian deaths of the Anglo-American invasion
of Iraq in 2003, the children torn apart by cluster bombs, the countless
innocent Iraqis gunned down at American military checkpoints? When they die,
it is "collateral damage"; when "we" die, it is "barbaric terrorism".

Read the rest of the article at:
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/fisk/article297623.ece
7/9: Terrorism, "The War on Terror" and the Message of Carnage
By Norman Solomon
t r u t h o u t | Perspective

When the French government suggested a diplomatic initiative that might
interfere with the White House agenda for war, the president responded by
saying that the proposed scenario would "ratify terror." The date was July
24, 1964, the president was Lyndon Johnson and the war was in Vietnam.
     Four decades later, the anti-terror rationale is not just another
argument for revving up the US war machinery. Fighting "terror" is now the
central rationale for war.
    "The contrast couldn’t be clearer between the intentions and the hearts
of those who care deeply about human rights and human liberty, and those who
kill, those who’ve got such evil in their hearts that they will take the
lives of innocent folks," President Bush said Thursday after the London
bombings. "The war on terror goes on."
     A key requirement of this righteous war is that all inconvenient
history must be deemed irrelevant. "By accepting the facile cliché that the
battle under way against terrorism is a battle against evil, by easily
branding those who fight us as the barbarians, we, like them, refuse to
acknowledge our own culpability," journalist Chris Hedges has observed. "We
ignore real injustices that have led many of those arrayed against us to
their rage and despair."
     Voices of reason, even when they’ve come from within the country’s
military establishment, have been shunted aside. In late November 2002, a
retired US Army general, William Odom, told C-SPAN viewers: "Terrorism is
not an enemy. It cannot be defeated. It’s a tactic. It’s about as sensible
to say we declare war on night attacks and expect we’re going to win that
war. We’re not going to win the war on terrorism. And it does whip up fear.
Acts of terror have never brought down liberal democracies. Acts of
parliament have closed a few."  …...
     Two years after 9/11, Norman Mailer asked: "What does it profit us if
we gain extreme security and lose our democracy? Not everyone in Iraq, after
all, was getting their hands and/or their ears cut off by Saddam Hussein. In
the middle of that society were hordes of Iraqis who had all the security
they needed even if there was no freedom other than the full-fledged liberty
offered by dictators to be free to speak with hyperbolic hosannas for the
leader. So, yes, there are more important things to safeguard than security
and one of them is to protect the much-beleaguered integrity of our
democracy. The final question in these matters suggests itself. Can leaders
who lie as a way of life protect any way of life?"
     The president who lied his way into an invasion of Iraq is now
exploiting Thursday’s atrocities in London to justify US policies that are
bringing daily atrocities to Iraq. Bush is intent on sending a message to
"the terrorists" by continuing the Pentagon’s war effort.
     The idea of communicating by killing is very familiar. There’s nothing
new about claiming to send a righteous message with bullets and bombs.
     In his book "War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning," former war
correspondent Chris Hedges writes that he saw such transmissions up close:
"Corpses in wartime often deliver messages. The death squads in El Salvador
dumped three bodies in the parking lot of the Camino Real Hotel in San
Salvador, where the journalists were based, early one morning. Death threats
against us were stuffed in the mouths of the bodies." Hedges adds: "And, on
a larger scale, Washington uses murder and corpses to transmit its wrath. We
delivered such incendiary messages in Vietnam, Iraq, Serbia, and
Afghanistan. Osama bin Laden has learned to speak the language of modern
industrial warfare."
     And Hedges notes: "It was Robert McNamara, the American Secretary of
Defense in the summer of 1965, who defined the bombing raids that would
eventually leave hundreds of thousands of civilians north of Saigon dead as
a means of communication to the Communist regime in Hanoi."
     Forty years later, with a "war on terrorism" serving as the central
theme of pro-war propaganda, the United States and its military allies are
routinely sending lethal messages. It should not surprise us when such
messages are returned to sender.
(article reprinted in full. - e.d.)
7/12: Nurses and Teachers "Stop Arnold"
By Charles Kalish
Green gadfly and resident of SF's Bernal Heights, Charles Kalish, joined
the Nurses, Teachers and the Raging Grannies in their "Stop Arnold"
campaign on Tuesday. He's written about their protest here, and asks
that you email Giuliana Milanese at gmilanese at calnurses.org to get more
information or join the campaign.

The Nurses and Teachers (and Raging Grannies) were in full form this
afternoon - down at Yahoo headquarters in Sunnyvale.
Their "Stop Arnold" campaign was in the Silicon Valley to protest another
billionaire fundraiser for Arnold's anti-worker ballot initiatives.  Today
Yahoo founder, Jerry Yang, was hosting Arnold's oligarchy.
I felt honored to be among the heroines and heroes who have managed to stop
this Schwarz'ngr/Corporate juggernaut in its tracks.  Giuliana Milanese took
me down there.  She's an organizer for CNA, the Californa Nurses
Association.
Our nurses and teachers have taken the offensive with innovative tactics
including brilliant TV commercials.  They have reframed the public
discussion, in this case about the Governor's power grabbing Special
Election in November.  They are exposing the beast for what it is:  a mean
spirited, dishonest campaign by Schwarz'ngr and his wealthy supporters to
capture even more power and wealth for themselves - an almost identical
replica of what Bush, Cheney, Rove and Delay are doing nationally.
The latest commercial from the teachers spotlights the Schwarz'ngr strategy:
  create a "phenomenon of anger" against teachers and all public workers by
blaming them continuously for California's economic woes.  It clearly
illuminates the vicious "blame game" mentality of Schwarz'ngr and Company.
Meanwhile the Austrian-American California governor has collected $100K
contributions from everyone from Chevron-Texaco and Wal-Mart to
Anheuser-Bush and Donald Fisher.
Who is Donald Fisher?  Fisher is an example of the extent to which greed and
power can pervert the human animal.  We in San Francisco have a particularly
insulting relationship with this odious creature.  He lives here and he
continually uses his enormous wealth (The GAP) to manipulate the local body
politic.  Most recently he is alleged to have paid for a hit piece bearing a
swastika against local progressive Supervisor, Gerardo Sandoval.
Fisher is now using his wealth to try to drive Sandoval into poverty.
Fisher's strategy is to put the fear of God into all progressives in San
Francisco who dare to mess with him.  He's shown that he will use any means
to increase his strangle hold on this city.
What does this have to do with the nurses and Schwarz'ngr?
I believe that Fisher reflects the ugly reality of the mentality and the
morality of the Schwarz'ngr/Bush phenomenon.  The California nurses and
teachers have learned how to expose them for what they are.  All of us had
better understand the likes of Donald Fisher because we will be doing battle
with them for years to come.
It's going to be a hard battle to beat Schwarz'ngr in November.  He and his
funders will spend hundreds of millions of dollars; they will be at their
meanest;  they will stoop so low as to vilify even our care providers and
our educators.  They will try to destroy anyone who gets in their way.
Nonetheless, this oligarchy can be beaten.  Our nurses and teachers are
proving that.  They are in the vanguard of the people's revolution for
economic and social justice in America.
I urge everyone to add yourselves to Giuliana's mailing list and to
participate whenever and however possible in the Stop Arnold campaign.  It
symbolizes everything we stand for, locally and nationally.
Email her at gmilanese at calnurses.org
Yours,
Charles
(Reprinted in full. - e.d.)
7/12: California Senate Passes Historic Marriage Equality Legislation
By LGBT Legislative Caucus, Equality California, And Allies Join Forces to
Revive Equal Marriage Rights Legislation for Same-Sex Couples

Sacramento, CA –  With a 5-2 vote, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed
Equality California-sponsored Assembly Bill (AB) 849, the Religious Freedom
and Civil Marriage Protection Act, authored by Assemblymember Mark Leno
(D-San Francisco), Assembly Speaker Fabian Núñez (D-Los Angeles), and
supported by more than 30 other co-authors. The Religious Freedom and Civil
Marriage Protection Act would grant equal marriage rights to same-sex
couples and affirm the religious freedom of all Californians.
State Senate Pro Tem Don Perata (D-Oakland) and Senate Judiciary Committee
Chairman Senator Joe Dunn (D-Garden Grove) have been working with the LGBT
Legislative Caucus to move the bill forward.  The previous marriage bill (AB
19) was narrowly defeated by four votes in the Assembly in early June.
Through a common procedural move, the exact language of the bill was placed
into the body of another bill (AB 849) that was moving through the
legislature.  The bill now heads to the Senate Appropriations Committee
after legislators return from summer recess on August 15.
"I am buoyed by the support of many of my colleagues in the Senate, who are
co-authors of the measure, and who believe we can pass this bill this year
and move it out of the Assembly and to the Governor's desk this September,"
stated AB 849's lead author, Assemblymember Mark Leno.  "Because civil
rights battles are never won in a day, we must move this issue forward
whenever we can. This is the year to do it. We came so close to victory in
June. With a few more months to make our case, the LGBT Legislative Caucus
believes we will prevail.”

Read the full article at:
http://www.eqca.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=9oINKWMCF&b=40337&ct=1165583
Events
*************************************
7/15: Green Convergence at the Bohemian Grove
Friday, July 15th through Sunday, July 17th
12:00 noon- 8:00pm

Each year, the most powerful men in the world meet for a summer retreat in
Bohemian Grove, one of the last stands of ancient redwood, nestled along the
Russian River in Sonoma County. Correspondingly, activists gather to greet
these powerbrokers as they set about for their two week vacation which
culminates with a secret ceremony "the Cremation of Care".
Activists plan full day activities on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, July
15-17. On Friday, from 12- dusk, join Greens and activists of all stripes at
the gates of Bohemian Grove. Bring banners, signs, drums and costumes.
Saturday, 11 am rally, noon march to the gates to protest the Bohemians: War
for Oil in the Middle East, environmental destruction across the globe, the
rich recieve tax cuts while the poor get service cuts.
Sunday: Green Convergance, Monte Rio Outdoor Ampetheater. 10:00 am gather,
11-1 special guest speakers and music. 1:00 pm design your own protest-
community discussion to plan ongoing actions to stop the war, environmental
destruction, loss of civil liberties caused by the Bohemians.

7/15: Sup. Ross Mirkirimi Hosts Art Opening Commemorating the 60th
Anniversary of the Hiroshima Bombing
Friday, July 15th
5:30pm- 9:00pm
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlet Pl., SF (City Hall)
Rm. 282

On Friday, July 15th, 2005, Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi hosts the monthly
Third Friday’s Art Reception in his City Hall office, Room 282. In
commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing, this month’s
featured artists are Lewis Suzuki and Iri and Toshi Maruki.
Lewis Suzuki was born in Los Angeles and studied art in Japan, New York, and
California.  His watercolors are bold and impressionistic and enrich and
strengthen the spirit of the viewer. Through his art, Mr. Suzuki hopes to
give a sense of joy and hope in our difficult and changing world.
“I feel that art has a place in enriching the life of humanity.  Through my
art, I hope to strengthen that part of culture.” --Lewis Suzuki
Iri and Toshi Maruki traveled to Hiroshima three days after the bomb was
dropped and witnessed the destruction first hand; several relatives and many
friends perished. Three years passed before the Maruki’s were able to begin
to paint what they had seen and this helped them to heal emotionally. Nine
hundred sketches were merged together to create the first of 15 murals
commemorating the tragedy of the victims.
“It is a dreadful, cruel scene, but I wanted to paint it with kindness.”
--Toshi Maruki

Defend a Woman's Right to Choose!  Stop the anti-abortion "Crusade for Life"
Saturday, July 16th and Friday, July 23rd
8am- noon
815 Eddy St. (at Franklin), SF
"Crusade for Life" will be in San Francisco from July 15-24, protesting
against reproductive rights.  Planned Parenthood is collecting names and
phone numbers of anyone interested in being on an "on-call" list in the
event of problems or harrassment by protesters.  We are invited to join
Planned Parenthood, Radical Women, Code Pink, and various others to defend a
woman's right to choose.
The "Crusade for Life" plans to disrupt our community by harassing women at
health clinics from July 15-27. We need your help to defend our clinics and
to send the message that the Bay Area is pro-choice and stands up for
reproductive rights!
Saturday, July 16 and 23: Meet at Planned Parenthood to be a visible
pro-choice force.
United Farm Workers Rally and March
Saturday, July 17th
11:30am
Dolores Park, SF
Come show your support for the UFW struggle against Gallo and our
appreciation for UFW's support for queers over the years. How well I
remember Cesar Chavez speaking at the 1987 National March on Washington, I
was on the press flatbed and got some pics of him for the Philly Gay News,
even got to shake his hand...now our shared history of supporting each other
(my GLF group in the early 70s supported the grape boycott) is being raised
to another level...queers are making a special effort to be visible in
Sunday's march...please let me know if you can join us.
nos vemos Domingo!
Si se puede!
"Spiritual Activism Network" Conference
Thursday, July 20th- Sunday, July 23rd
UC Berkley Campus
Berkely, CA

Come to an exciting upcoming conference in Berkeley on July 20th-23rd! The
conference will focus on creating a national, inter-faith "Spiritual
Activism Network" and will feature an impressive array of
nationally-prominent speakers, religious and spiritual leaders, political
analysts, and performing artists.  To date, over 900 people have registered,
and it may well mark a turning point in the public paralysis around the
destructive role of the religious right in American politics ... not to
mention an excellent opportunity to expand our membership.
Please visit the Tikkun conference site below and see if you'd like to
attend!
http://www.tikkun.org/community/spiritual_activism_conference/main-page.html#Registration

Announcements:
**********************
Joke of the Week

Iraq Vs. Vietnam
Q. What's the difference between the Vietnam War and the Iraq War?
A. George W. Bush had a plan to get out of the Vietnam War.

Plus!!!!

Bush's Propaganda Tour

During a propaganda tour, President Bush visits a school to explain his
politics to kids. He invites the kids to ask him questions. Bobby stands up
and tells him "Mr. President, I got 3 questions":

1. How come, that although the count of votes was not in your favor, you
still won the election?
2. Why do you want to attack Iraq without an imminent reason?
3. Don't you also consider the bombing of Hiroshima the biggest terrorist
attack of all times?

Before the president can answer, the recess bell rings, and the kids leave
the room. After they came back, Bush invited them again to ask questions.
Joey stands up and tells him "Mr. President, I got 5 questions":
1. How come, that although the count of votes was not in your favor, you
still won the election?
2. Why do you want to attack Iraq without an imminent reason?
3. Don't you also consider the bombing of Hiroshima the biggest terrorist
attack of all times?
4. Why did the recess bell ring 20 minutes early?
5. Where's Bobby?

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining donors --
175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double that figure, and
you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make a regular
contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free us up
to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through the
democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep our
office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including the
successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

Online: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Phone: 415-701-7090