[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Jul 21 14:43:02 PDT 2005

SFGP WEEKLY
For The Week of 7/21/05 - 7/28/05
This Week:
News:
7/12: Jake McGoldrick Did Us Proud Today
7/15: Peaceful Resistance at Bohemian Grove
7/17: Frustration With Pro-War Democrats is Growing (audio news items)
- 7/21: Bicycle Advisory Committee Action Items
- 7/23: Declaration of Oil Independence
- 7/23- 7/29: World Premiere of Slow Falling Bird
- 7/23: Defend a Woman's Right to Choose!  Stop the anti-abortion "Crusade
for Life"
- 7/25: Mid-Market Redevelopment - Housing and Land Use Seminar Series
- 7/26: Transportation Working Group Meeting
Announcements:
- Joke of the Week
- Become A Sustainer!
News
7/12: Jake McGoldrick Did Us Proud Today
By: Charles Kalish
Source: SFGP Letter to the Editor

The Board of Supervisors on Tuesday rejected a resolution to berth the
battleship Iowa in San Francisco. It was not an easy decision.
Jake McGoldrick courageously led the argument to reject the resolution. He
made an eloquent speech distinguishing patriotism from militarism. He said
that San Francisco is the city of the Peace Movement not the War Movement
and should be financing institutions for peace not war.
Chris Daly effectively made the distinction between the heroism of WW II and
every “wrong” American war since then. Tom Ammiano described the military’s
systemic discrimination, accepting queers only during war time, drumming
them out before and after. Ross Mirkarimi said that berthing the Iowa sends
the message that San Franciscans accept America’s disastrous militarism in
Iraq and the rest of the Middle East.
Read the rest at:
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1353
7/15: Peaceful Resistance at the Bohemian Grove
Green Party to lead protest at gathering of rich and powerful
Friday, July 15, 2005
By CAROL BENFELL
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
The Green Party is taking the lead in the annual protest of corporate and
governmental decision-makers who gather again this weekend at Bohemian
Grove near Monte Rio.
Members of the all-male San Francisco Bohemian Club have been coming to the
tightly guarded grove for relaxation and camaraderie for 123 years. The
membership includes many of the nation's rich and powerful, including
former U.S. presidents and Cabinet officials.
The guest list remains secret to all but club members and employees who
help stage the event.
Protesters accuse the club of using the secrecy of the grove to cut deals
outside the public view, but club members say that doesn't happen.
The Green Party took on the protest this year as a way of networking with
like-minded groups and expanding the party's role in the community, said
Paul Encimer, a Garberville-area businessman and a member of the Green
Party's statewide coordinating committee.
"The Green Party is a party focused on action," Encimer said. "We think
coalition-building and being involved in the movement is part of our task."
Read the full article at:
http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articleAID=/20050715/NEWS/507150336/1033/NEWS01
7/17: Frustration With Pro-War Democrats is Growing
Submitted by Ericka

In case you missed it, KPFA-FM's Sunday Salon program on July 17 was
seriously bashing Nancy Pelosi for her pro-war position.  Host Larry Bensky
said at one point "Are you listening Matt Gonzalez!!" as he spoke of the
need to challenge Pelosi.
I sent a message to the show today explaining how Terry ran a strong
campaign in 2004, but was stifled by election technicalities that kept her
off the ballot.
You can listen to the show here:
http://www.kpfa.org/archives/archives.php?id=22
The talk about Pelosi specifically comes at the end of the first hour, about
56 minutes into the program.
Additionally, Norman Solomon, who reportedly registered Green last year,
also bashed the Democrats on Friday's Democracy Now, where he repeated how
the Democrats are currently a pro-war party.
Listen here: http://www.democracynow.org/index.pl?issue=20050715
Events
*************************************
Bicycle Advisory Committee (BAC)
Thursday, July 21st, 6:15 pm
City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place (Polk Street), Room 408

Pedestrian Oasis or Mirage?: This is one of the last public forum on the
issue of car circulation in the concourse area of Golden Gate Park. Please
attend if you are interested in knowing what the museums are planning to do
now that they have the underground garage.

Golden Gate Park Concourse Circulation Plan - Presentation by the Concourse
Authority on the recommended design option;  Resolution presented by BAC
member by Susan King  on GG Park Concourse Circulation Plan 2B.
Declaration of Oil Independence
Saturday, July 23rd
The Independent, San Francisco
Come out to The Independent in San Francisco on Saturday July 23rd for "A
Declaration of Oil Independence." The night will bring together an
international palette of musicians including Bat Makumba, Hyim and the Fat
Foakland Orchestra & DJ Franky Boissy all to raise awareness about our
dependence on oil. Profits from the event will benefit the Clean Fuel
Caravan Coalition, a Bay Area
alternative fuel collective providing education about and access to vehicles
running on sustainable fuels like biodiesel and vegetable oil. Fusing
environmentalism with equatorial beats "A Declaration
of Oil Independence" will appeal to feet of all persuasion and advance
tickets are highly recommended!

Here's the link for tickets:
http://www.ticketweb.com/user/?region=sfbay&query=detail&event=613039
World Premiere of Slow Falling Bird
Saturday, July 23rd- Friday, July 29th
8:00pm
The EXIT, 277 Taylor Street, San Francisco

Crowded Fire Theater Company presents the World Premiere production of Slow
Falling Bird by Australian playwright Christine Evans. As the tide of
refugees fleeing from war-torn parts of the world grows, Evans asks us to
explore the question of how we take them in - or leave them on the outside.
Based on real events in the Woomera Immigration Detention Centre, Slow
Falling Bird goes far beyond the documentary impulse, creating a
hallucinatory world of song and magic that is beautiful, heartbreaking, and
unforgettable. As our own country struggles with our border issues, and with
increasing furor around the detainees in Guantanamo, this play hits both
close enough to home and far enough away to provide an important perspective
on the risks we are taking with our increasingly unjust policies.
Previews Sat July 23, Mon July 25, & Fri July 29, 8 p.m. (Pay-What-You-Can,
$15 recommended)
Benefit performance for SF Poetry Slam Team: Thurs July 28 ($20)
Opening Night Gala Sat July 30, 8 p.m. ($30)
Plays Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, August 4 – 20, 8 p.m.
Tickets $18 – 25, sliding scale ($15 students, seniors & TBA members)
to reserve tickets online: http://www.crowdedfire.org/boxoffice_closed.shtml
by phone: 415-675-5995
Defend a Woman's Right to Choose!  Stop the anti-abortion "Crusade for Life"
Friday, July 23rd
8am- noon
815 Eddy St. (at Franklin), SF
"Crusade for Life" will be in San Francisco from July 15-24, protesting
against reproductive rights.  Planned Parenthood is collecting names and
phone numbers of anyone interested in being on an "on-call" list in the
event of problems or harrassment by protesters.  We are invited to join
Planned Parenthood, Radical Women, Code Pink, and various others to defend a
woman's right to choose.
The "Crusade for Life" plans to disrupt our community by harassing women at
health clinics from July 15-27. We need your help to defend our clinics and
to send the message that the Bay Area is pro-choice and stands up for
reproductive rights!
Saturday, July 23: Meet at Planned Parenthood to be a visible pro-choice
force.
Mid-Market Redevelopment - Housing and Land Use Seminar Series
Monday, July 25th
7pm-9pm
First Baptist Church, 7 Octavia Street, at Market St., San Francisco (on the
historic F streetcar line)

The Green Party Housing and Land Use Seminar Series Presents: The Mid-Market
Redevelopment Plan: A Necessary Developer Boost to Market Street or the
Continuing Gentrification of San Francisco?  With Rich Hillis, Mayor
Newsom's representative to the Mid-Market Redevelopment Plan from the
Mayor's Office of Economic Development, Kate White, Executive Director,
Housing Action Coalition, and David Wilbur, Mid-Market PAC member for the
past two years who voted against the Plan with the hope for a much better
alternative from the Board of Supervisors.
Moderated by:
Christina Olague, San Francisco Planning Commissioner

This seminar will address some of the most important housing and land use
issues facing San Francisco, namely:
-- The percentage of affordable housing units included in privately built
developments; The proper role of the Redevelopment Agency in developing the
city;
-- The amount of parking within our most transit-rich district along Market
and Mission Streets;
-- The income demographics of the patrons the proposed "art district" will
service.
Transportation Working Group Meeting
Thursday, July 26th
7pm-9pm
1028A Howard St. (SFGP Office)

Agenda to be determined; please join us for our meetings every 4th Tuesday
Announcements:
**********************
Joke of the Week
Taking Up a Collection for the President

A lobbyist, on his way home from work in Washington, D.C., came to a dead
halt in traffic and thought to himself, "Wow, this seems worse than usual."
He noticed a police officer walking between the lines of stopped cars, so he
rolled down his window and asked, "Officer, what's the hold-up?"
The officer replied, "The President is depressed, so he stopped his
motorcade and is threatening to douse himself with gasoline and set himself
on fire. He says no one believes his stories about why we went to war in
Iraq, or the connection between Saddam and al-Qaeda, or that his tax cuts
will help anyone except his wealthy friends; the press called him on the lie
about Iraq trying to buy uranium from Niger, and now Campbell Brown is
threatening to sue him for a sexual innuendo he made at a recent press
conference. So we're taking up a collection for him."
The lobbyist asks, "How much have you got so far?"
The officer replies, "About 14 gallons, but a lot of folks are still
siphoning."
Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining donors --
175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double that figure, and
you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make a regular
contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free us up
to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through the
democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep our
office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including the
successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

Online: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Phone: 415-701-7090