[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Nov 11 10:49:01 PST 2005

SFGP WEEKLY
For The Week of 11/11/05 - 11/17/05
Welcome to All Our New Subscribers From the Green Festival!

This Week:
News:
11/5: A Sad Loss For The Green Party
11/6: Update From Ross Mirkarimi's Office
11/9: Greens Win Four Seats in California Nov. 8
Events:
11/11: Film: Side Effects
11/13: Anti-Racism Training
11/14: Hearing for Public Financing of Mayoral Campaigns in San Francisco
11/14: Anti-Death Penalty Coalition Meeting
11/15: Board of Education Sunshine Ordinance Meeting
11/16: San Francisco Green Party General Membership Meeting
Announcements:
Joke of the Week
Ask Matt Gonzalez- Reader Questions Requested
New Orleans Reconstruction Project
Become A Sustainer!
News
*********************
11/5: A Sad Loss For The Green Party

11/07/05
Source: Green Party of New Zealand

The Green Party is mourning the sudden death of co-leader Rod Donald, who
died at his home last night.
Rod, 48, brought almost superhuman energy, drive and commitment to his work,
said co-leader Jeanette Fitzsimons. "He is an incalculable loss to the Green
Party, to the country and to me personally.
Read more at: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1397
11/6: Update From Ross Mirkarimi's Office
SUPERVISOR ROSS MIRKARIMI
LEGISLATION INTRODUCED - OCTOBER 25 and NOVEMBER 1, 2005Â  BOARD OF
SUPERVISORS

RESOLUTIONS

·     Resolution urging the Director of Health to delay local
implementation of the State's cannabis identification card program until
patients, advocates and City and State Legislators have sufficient time to
petition the State Health Department to modify its card program
protocols to better protect the anonymity of patients and caregivers, and
physicians can be informed of their new obligations under the State card
program.
·     Resolution in support o Stanley Tookie Williams’ request
for Clemency. Tookie Williams has rehabilitated himself by repudiating gang
life, writing nine children’s book about the dangers of gang life,
mentoring youth in the CYA, writing “Tookie’s Protocols for
Peace,” which Newark, New Jersey gangs used to broker a truce. African
Americans represent 13% of the U.S. population but represent 33% of executed
prisoners and 67% of death row inmates. The Death Penalty is
disproportionately and unfairly applied to African Americans.
·     Resolution commending the Hayes Valley Community Partners
Halloween
celebrations, including four public events: storytelling at Hayes Green,
face painting at Hayes Valley Playground and Hayes Valley South Community
Room, and live music at Koshland Park. A safe and festive atmosphere for
kids to trick or treat and for parents to meet their neighbors is most
welcome.

ITEMS IN COMMITTEE

·     Ordinance mending the Campaign and Governmental Conduct Code to
create a public financing program for mayoral candidates, appropriate
funding for the program, etc.
·     Urgency Ordinance approving a 16 month and 15 day extension of
the interim zoning moratorium on Medical Cannabis Dispensaries.
·     Requests that the city attorney draft legislation grants
amnesty to individuals who have entered "Care not Cash" housing programs who
risk losing housing due to outstanding vagrancy violations.

LETTERS OF INQUIRY
·     Graffiti Removal on 2 mailboxes on Grove Street, the first at
Octavia
and the second at Laguna, and on a green box and the light post at Oak
and Scott.
·     DPT report on the status of Graffiti Removal from nine street
signs on Steiner between O’Farrell and Turk.
·     DPW report on the status of cleaning of drains at the following
locations:

      SE corner of Masonic and Frederick
      SE corner of Waller and Masonic
      SW corner of Waller and Masonic
      SE corner of Waller and Ashbury
      SE corner of Ashbury and Masonic
      SE corner of Ashbury and Haight

·     DPW report on the status of cleaning graffiti at the following
locations:

      Street signs on Oak and Baker
      NW and SW corners of Clayton and Carl
      Street signs regarding parking on Clayton between Waller and
Frederick
      SE corner of Haight and Clayton
      NE corner of Oak and Steiner
      North and South sides of Haight between Masonic and Stanyan
      Public garbage cans on the NE corner of Haight and Ashbury
      SW corner of Haight between Masonic and Central
      Green Utility boxes at the intersection of Kezar and Lincoln

IN MEMORIUM

Commending the memory of Rosa Louis McCauley Parks, the renowned civil
rights activist who died last week.

Commending the memory of Jane Weirick, a tireless advocate for cannibas
reform, who died this week at age 46.

UPCOMING EVENTS:

NOVEMBER 16
Park District Community Forum, 6 - 8pm at the MLK-MG Community Center.  The
Park Police District hold monthly community forums, in an attempt to
increase participation and meaningful dialogue.  Park District is
organizing a Advisory Council for the community forums.  For more
information contact Kyle Peterson 415-571-0338.
www.parkdistrict.blogspot.com
11/9: Greens Win Four Seats in California Nov. 8
Greens Celebrate 19 Election Victories!
11/09/05
By: Mike Feinstein
Source: http://www.gp.org

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- According to early election returns, Greens have won at
least 19 races in November 2005, bringing the number of Greens elected in
2005 to 34.

Out of eight races in which Green incumbents ran, six won. Four out of five
candidates running in California were elected; 66 Greens now hold elected
office in this state. Pennsylvania reported the most Green victories (eight)
on November 8, with York County counting the most county victories (four)
within the state. At least 115 Green candidates competed for office across
the U.S. on November 8.
For more, please go to:
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1398

Events
**********************
11/11: Film: Side Effects
Friday, November 11th
(See theatres for show times and details)
Regal Galaxy 4 Theater

We are thrilled to announce that our independent feature film Side Effects
is coming to San Francisco and Berkeley beginning November 11th. The movie
will play at the Regal Galaxy 4 in San Francisco and the Berkeley 7.
Side Effects is a satirical, insider¹s look at the daily marketing practices
of the pharmaceutical industry and stars Katherine Heigl of Grey¹s Anatomy.
Although fiction, the film is closely based on the writer/director¹s decade
working directly for the industry as a pharmaceutical sales representative.
Side Effects has been warmly embraced by the medical community, general
public, and press. The movie is a fun, light, and entertaining way to learn
how the industry operates behind the scenes.
For more information, please contact: info at sideeffectsthemovie.com
11/13: Anti-Racism Training
Sunday, November 13th
4:00pm- 8:30pm
1028A Howard St. (SFGP Office)

Sunday, November 13 from 4:00pm-8:30pm, an anti-racist training will be held
at the Green Party office. This training is highly recommended for anyone
participating in the Roadtrip for Relief to New Orleans, and is also useful
for activists working on social justice issues here in SF.

It is helpful if you notify us to let us know in advance that you‚ll be
attending. The training will be led by long-time anit-racist trainer, Sharon
Martinas. It‚s BYOB, Bring Your Own Burrito.

To confirm, or to contact organizers for any reason, please call or email:
sfcaravan at mutualaid.org
800-743-3808 ext. 350
11/14: Hearing for Public Financing of Mayoral Campaigns in San Francisco
Monday, November 14th
6:00pm- 7:30pm
Ethics Commission, City Hall, Room 408

Dear friends,
After months and months of hard work we're finally at the point of our first
hearing for our legislation to establish public financing of elections for
the mayor's race. We have been picking up endorsements from a wide
cross-segment of the city, showing the broad support for this effort to
bring "Voter Owned Elections" to San Francisco. Endorsers include
Assemblyman Mark Leno, Public Defender Jeff Adachi, Supervisors Ross
Mirkarimi, Tom Ammiano, Gerardo Sandoval, Jake McGoldrick and Chris Daly,
Common Cause, SPUR, SEIU Local 790 and United Healthcare West, Sierra Club,
numerous Democratic Clubs, Upper Noe Neighbors, Senior Action Network, Green
Party, Global Exchange, Asian American Political Coalition, Mexican American
Political Association, Cal PIRG, Tenants Union, and many more.

See the full list at http://voterownedelections.org/listofsupporters.html

Next Monday, November 14, the Ethics Commission will be discussing whether
to extend the public financing that we already have for Board of Supervisors
to other races. Please mark the date on your calendar -- WE NEED TO SHOW
STRONG COMMUNITY SUPPORT!!

What: Hearing for Public Financing of Mayoral Campaigns When: Monday,
November 14, 6-7:30 pm Where: Ethics Commission, City Hall, Room 408

If you wish to read more about this legislation, including the text of
legislation, main talking points and more, visit
http://voterownedelections.org/

I really hope you can make this important hearing, part of our ongoing
efforts to make San Francisco democracy a showcase for the nation, including
instant runoff voting, a watchdog Elections Commission, consolidated
elections, and a robust Ethics Commission.
Steven Hill
11/14: Anti-death penalty coalition meeting
Monday, November 14th (Meets every Monday)
6:30 pm
1663 Mission St. 4th floor San Francisco

Stanley Tookie Williams, former co-founder of the Crips gang, death row
prisoner
and leader for peace, has been given an execution date of December 13th,
2005.
The State of California wants to execute 3 people in the next few months!
We need a movement to stop this injustice.
The coalition is planning signature ads, media outreach, local and national
events, protests and press conferences.

More ways to get involved:

1. Contact Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger:
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841/Fax: 916-445-4633
To send an Email please visit: http://www.govmail.ca.gov

2. Visit www.savetookie.org and download fact sheets and petitions and get
sample letters to send to the Governor

3. Contact your State Assemblymember and urge him/her to pass the
“California Moratorium on Executions Act (AB 1121)” immediately! Look up
your representative by zip code at: www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html
For more information, please contact: 510-333-7966 or
crystal at nodeathpenalty.org
Read a related article at www.counterpunch.org
11/15: Board of Education Sunshine Ordinance Meeting
Tuesday, November 15th
7:00pm
SFUSD, 555 Franklin St.

The BOE will have its sunshine ordinance for first hearing on Nov. 15 at its
regular meeting.  (So it will be one of the items on the agenda.)
Please contact Kim Knox (kimberleyknox at hotmail.com)
11/16: San Francisco Green Party General Membership Meeting
This is our monthly General Membership meeting where endorsements, policy
decisions and discussions occur. Agenda:
Facilitators -- Caty and Micheas

1) Intro to Green Process -- JMC, 5

2) Agenda Review and Approval - 5

3) Consent Calendar -- 5, Marc Bylaws amendment (see below). We approved
this twice, but not at consecutive GM meetings. Bylaws ammendments have to
be approved at consecutive meetings, so we need to start over.

4) GPCA Plenary Discussion -- 45, Christina Olague -- Proposal on lowering
voting threshold: 5 min Introduction, 15 min Discussion Proposal on GPUS
affiliation 5 min introduction, 15 Discussion. Other Proposals - 15 minutes.

5) Delegate Election -- 30, JMC See SFGP bylaws for election process.
Plenary will be weekend of Dec 10 in Yolo. See http://cagreens.org/plenary

6) SEIU Local 790 Support - 10, Kim Knox

7) CIWG policies, discussion of process - 10, Marc

8) GM meeting time and options for December meetings - 10

9) Announcements - 10
Please view the full calendar at:
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1411
Announcements
*************************
Joke of the Week

A special cartoon:
http://www.thefrown.com/frowners/becomerepublican.swf

More Mad Kane!
www.madkane.com

An anti-choice judge who's named Sam
Tells the poor and the weak they should scram.
If he takes Sandra's place,
All our rights he'll erase,
And the wingnuts will have a grand slam.
Ask Matt Gonzalez- Reader Questions Requested

Due to popular request, The SFGP Weekly is planning to take part in an
interview with Matt Gonzalez to discuss the issues, and we want your input!
The Weekly staff wants to aski him *your* questions and get real answers.
We would like to print this discussion in an upcoming edition of the Weekly,
but we are still arranging the date for this event at this time, so stay
tuned.
Please send all questions for the planned Matt Gonzalez interview to the
editor at ladypest at hotmail.com, or to news at sfgreens.org, with Question For
Matt as the message title.
JOIN THE ROADTRIP FOR RELIEF!!
CLEAN-UP, REPAIR, REBUILD IN THE
9TH WARD WITH COMMON GROUND COLLECTIVE
November 20-27

Common Ground Collective has called a National Caravan to arrive in New
Orleans on November 20th and work over the week of Thanksgiving until
November 27th. In the meantime, we are having regular planning meetings to
build up to this event, and we need people to join our organizing efforts.

Please contact Susan King at funking at mindspring.com to find out how you can
be a part of this vital effort.

Why: The concentrated efforts of this caravan will bring hope to the
displaced people of New Orleans so they see that it is possible to clean-up
their neighborhoods and rebuild their lives. The work of the caravan will be
a demonstration of what is possible.
Who: You. Your organization. Self-sustained groups that can organize
themselves. We also need volunteers with specific skills: electricians,
mechanics, plumbers, mold abaters, roofers, construction workers,
carpenters, tree workers, lawyers, cooks and people who can train other
volunteers and residents in these skills.
When: We need organizers to help right now! We're asking folks in the
caravan to arrive in New Orleans on November 20th and work through the
Thanksgiving week until Novemeber 27th. Of course, volunteers are needed
continuously and can arrive anytime.
How you can help: Get on the bus. Donate a bus. Organize a bus. Donate $$$$.
Donate supplies . Help raise funds, plan a fundraiser, ask your network to
donate. Help spread the word.
Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining donors --
175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double that figure, and
you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make a regular
contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free us up
to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through the
democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep our
office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including the
successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

Online: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Phone: 415-701-7090