[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Nov 18 21:22:36 PST 2005

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 11/17/05 - 11/24/05

NEWS:
  - 11/14: Caravan Ride to Aid NOLA Katrina Victims Starts This Week
  - 11/15: Ross Mirkarimi's Mercury-In-Seafood Ordinance Praised - And
Unanimously Passed!
  - 11/16: Ross Mirkarimi's Medical Marijuana Club Regulation
Unanimously Passes!
  - 11/16: Todd Chretien On Fox NEWS!

EVENTS:
  - 11/18: Ross Mirkarimi's Third Friday's Art Opening
  - 11/19: Where Do We Go From Here? SFGP Meeting
  - 11/21: Movie Night
  - 11/22: Transportation Working Group Meeting

ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - Ask Matt Gonzalez- Reader Questions Requested
  - Welcome New Editor Rosalind Lord
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Save Youth in California Prisons! Watch Conan Vs. The Kindergarten
Cop to Find Out How.

NEWS:

11/14: Caravan Ride to Aid NOLA Katrina Victims Starts This Week

Longtime activist and New Orleans resident Malik Rahim is seeking help
to rescue his community, and Green Party members in the Bay Area and
across the country are responding.

Working with the Common Ground Collective, Green Party members will
participate in the "Roadtrip for Relief" caravan of volunteers and
supplies that will converge in New Orleans for Thanksgiving week.

For more information, go to:
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1399

---------

11/15: Ross Mirkarimi's Mercury-In-Seafood Ordinance Praised - And
Unanimously Passed!

Ross's ordinance requiring that The City post warnings about mercury in
seafood in Spanish, Chinese and English is praised by a public healthy
advocacy organization and declared "the first of its kind in the
nation." It was also unanimously passed on November 1st, 2005.

See
http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2005/11/15/news/
20051115_ne09_ach.prt

---------

11/16: Ross Mirkarimi's Medical Marijuana Club Regulation Unanimously
Passes!

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors all voted in favor of Ross's
medical marijuana club legislation, composed of guidelines supporting
local, legitimate medical cannabis dispensaries (MCDs).

Among other things, these guidelines ensure that each MCD only serve
patients with official medical marijuana identification cards, and that
they not operate within 500 feet of schools; 1,000 feet if smoking is
allowed on the premises.

See Ross's editorial about this legislation:
  - http://www.sfbg.com/40/07/x_oped.html

Read what others said about it:
  - http://www.beyondchron.org/
  -
http://www.beyondchron.org/default.asp?
sourceid=&smenu=110&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=2730&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=
&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed
=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1031&hn=beyondchron&he=.org
  -
http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2005/11/16/news/
20051116_ne01_pot.txt
  -
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/16/
BAG1RFP4NH1.DTL

---------

11/16: Todd Chretien On Fox NEWS!

Todd Chretien discusses the war in Iraq, military recruiters at
schools, and whether the troops should be brought home with Bill
O'Reilly. He also explains why Bill O'Reilly hates San Francisco.

Sources:
http://www.beyondchron.org/
http://www.beyondchron.org/default.asp?
sourceid=&smenu=110&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=2734&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=

==============================

EVENTS:

11/18: Ross Mirkarimi's Third Friday's Art Opening

WHEN:
Friday, November 18th, 2005
5:00-8:00 PM

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, Room 282

DETAILS:
Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi hosts the monthly Third Fridays Art Reception
in his City Hall office.

This month's featured artist is Ian Johnson, a native New Yorker and a
San Franciscan artist. His portraits - predominantly of 1950s and 1960s
jazz musicians - investigate the space between the musician and his
music. Energetic pen and ink marks are evocative of the spontaneous
nature of jazz music and the physical structure of the human form. Ian
Johnson's position as the art director of San Francisco's Western
Edition website has led him to investigate the fundamental nature of
his artwork as both cultural and commercial products.

Contact Regina Dick-Endrizzi (415) 554-7630

---------

11/19: Where Do We Go From Here?  SFGP Meeting

WHEN:
Saturday, Novermber 19th
Breakfast at 9:30 AM
Meeting from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
SFGP long-time activists and interested newcomers are invited to work
together to develop a long term winning strategy for the SF Green
Party. The workshop will enable us to take a critical look at our
organization with an eye towards developing a more cohesive, focused
vision for the party.

At this meeting, we intend to create a breakthrough in all of these
areas.

Please join us.

For more information, contact Charles Kalish: chkalish at ix.netcom.com

---------

11/21: Movie Night

WHEN:
Monday, November 21st
7:00pm

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Join us for our first monthly Movie Night!  This month, we feature the
docudrama "Oil Storm".  One great movie each month!  See you there!

---------

11/22: Transportation Working Group Meeting

WHEN:
Tuesday, November 22nd
7:00pm- 9:00pm

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly TWG meeting. Agenda: planning for 11-29 event at the Bazaar
Cafe (screening of The End of Suburbia); planning for the 12-10 event
at the SFGP office (summit on transportation in Mid-Market); possible a
presentation about efforts to get funding for a suicide barrier on the
GGB.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and start a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would start
helping us win those victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.

No experience necessary.

Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.

To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Ask Matt Gonzalez- Reader Questions Requested

Due to popular request, The SFGP Weekly is planning to take part in an
interview with Matt Gonzalez to discuss the issues, and we want your
input! The Weekly staff wants to aski him *your* questions and get real
answers. We would like to print this discussion in an upcoming edition
of the Weekly, but we are still arranging the date for this event at
this time, so stay tuned.

Please send all questions for the planned Matt Gonzalez interview to
Nicole Walter at ladypest at hotmail.com, or to news at sfgreens.org, with
Question For Matt as the message title.

---------

Welcome New Editor Rosalind Lord

The SFGP Weekly is proud to welcome our new editor, Rosalind Lord, who
is replacing Nicole Walter.  Rosalind will be publishing new editions
of the SFGP Weekly, starting 11/17/05 (this is her first issue).  She
will also continue to put Jokes of the Week in future editions.

Message from Nicole Walter:

To all our readers: Thank you for all your comments and approval during
my time as editor.  I wish to thank the County Council and the General
Membership for giving me this wonderful, unique opportunity to help out
the Green Party.  I still will be participating by doing interviews,
sending in stories and jokes, and assisting Rosalind in whatever
capacity that she and the SFGP deem necessary.  I ask readers to please
welcome her and feel free to send her their comments.

Once again, thank you, and I hope to be back in San Francisco permantly
in June of next year.

Sincerely,
Nicole Walter
Former Editor, SFGP Weekly

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:

Conan Vs. The Kindergarten Cop

Can the Governator's multiple movie personalities help him solve
California's problems? Find out in CONAN VS. THE KINDERGARTEN COP:

http://www.ConanVsKcop.org

Arnold promised he'd fix California's infamous, abusive youth prisons
by November 30. The deadline is fast approaching. What can he do?

http://www.ConanVsKcop.org

Brought to you by Books Not Bars