[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Mon Nov 28 21:11:30 PST 2005

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 11/28/05 - 12/14/05

NEWS:
  - 11/16: Green Party Activist Charlene Smythe Defends Home From HUD!
  - 11/22: South Bronx Residents About To Receive Gift From Hugo Chavez!
  - 11/23: Greens Ask Post-Thanksgiving Shoppers to Support "Buy Nothing
Day"

EVENTS:
  - 11/29: The End of Suburbia, with Jake McGoldrick
  - 11/30: Save Tookie Williams Rally!
  - 12/1: Animal Working Group
  - 12/1: Feminist Issues Group
  - 12/4: Movie Screening of Redemption: The Stan Tookie Williams Story
  - 12/5: Campaigns and Issues Working Group
  - 12/6: Housing and Land Use Working Group
  - 12/7: San Francisco Green Party County Council
  - 12/10: CA Green Party General Assembly Meeting at UC Davis
  - 12/14: SF Green Party General Membership/ Holiday Party

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Campaign to End the Death Penalty Action Alert: Save Stan Tookie
Williams!
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Dear Abby

NEWS:

11/16: Green Party Activist Charlene Smythe Defends Home From HUD!

Charlene Smythe and her neighbors are fighting to keep the US
Department of Housing and Urban Development from seizing their homes.

To find out more, see: http://www.sfbg.com/40/06/news_hud.html

---------

11/22: South Bronx Residents About To Receive Gift From Hugo Chavez!

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is going send oil to poor residents
and non-profit groups of the South Bronx.

See
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/col/jgonzalez/story/368052p
-313135c.html

---------

  11/23: Greens Ask Post-Thanksgiving Shoppers to Support "Buy Nothing
Day"

SACRAMENTO (Nov. 23, 2005) – The Green Party of California Wednesday
askedconsumers to celebrate the Thanksgiving weekend by supporting "Buy
NothingDay" over this coming weekend.

Buy Nothing Day (BND) is recognized every year all around the world –
andthroughout California – as a day for consumers to challenge
themselves, andfamily, to "switch-off" from shopping and rampant
consumerism.

BND exposes the consequences of consumerism, and the fact that just
20percent of the world's people consume more than 80 percent of the
naturalresources, placing a disproportionate level of environmental
damage ondeveloping countries.

BND also makes the point that while shopping in malls and grocery
storesmight offer choice, it often does so as the cost of hurting the
environmentin developing countries.

"Buy Nothing Day is a great time and way to start changing our lives,
andto remember that when we do make purchases that they have
consequences,"said Larry Cafiero, editor of Green
California(http://www.greencalifornia.org) and GPCA liaison to the
Secretary of State.

==============================

EVENTS:

11/29: The End of Suburbia, with Jake McGoldrick

WHEN:
Tuesday, November 29
7:00PM-9:30PM (get there earlier)

WHERE:
The Bazaar Cafe, 5927 California (between 21st and 22nd avenues), San
Francisco

DETAILS:
Free screening of this ground-breaking documentary on the end of cheap
oil and natural gas and what it means for the future of American
communities and way of life. Followed by a discussion on local
transportation issues with Supervisor Jake McGoldrick.

---------

11/30: Save Tookie Williams Rally!

WHEN:
Wednesay, November 30
Noon-1:00 PM

WHERE:
City Hall steps,  1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, San Francisco

DETAILS:
Show up at San Francisco's City Hall and tell the world you're against
the death penalty, and Stan Tookie Williams being executed! For more
information, contact Crystal Bybee (phone: 510-333-7966, email:
crystal at nodeathpenalty.org) of the Bay Area Anti-Death Penalty
Coalition/Save Tookie Committee.

Also see:

http://www.savetookie.org/events.html

http://www.indybay.org/news/2005/11/1783392.php

---------

12/1: Animal Working Group

WHEN:
Thursday, December 1
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly meeting of the Animal Working Group. We will discuss animal
issues in San Francisco. For more information, email Rosalind Lord at
rclord at seaserpent.com

---------

12/1: Feminist Issues Group

WHEN:
Thursday, December 1
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly meeting of the Feminist Issues Working Group. We will talk
about plans for 2006. Refreshments provided.

---------

12/4: Movie Screening of Redemption: The Stan Tookie Williams Story

WHEN:
Sunday, December 4
5:00PM

WHERE:
Victoria Theatre, 2961 16th St. (next to the 16th Street and Mission
BART Station)

DETAILS:
Before the movie starts, Danny Glover, Barbara Becnel and Kevin Epps
will explain the status of Stan's case and let people know how to get
involved in the movement to stop his execution. With only a few weeks
left before the execution date (December 13), your help is urgently
needed!

---------

12/5: Campaigns and Issues Working Group

WHEN:
Monday, December 5
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly Campaign and Issue Working Group meeting. December topics will
focus on codifying our endorsement policies and planning for 2006.

---------

12/6: Housing and Land Use Working Group

WHEN:
Tuesday, December 6
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Tuesday's proposed agenda includes:

Follow-up to Prop. 13 and economics discussion;
2006 Seminar program ideas
2006 legisaltion discussion
SF Housing Iventory Report
Holiday Party update

---------

12/7: SF Green Party County Council

WHEN:
Wednesday, December 7
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Note new time: 7:00 (from 7:30) and moved up date due to the Solstice
and the Holidays: December CC meeting on the first Weds- Dec 7th, Dec
short GM meeting (followed by holiday party) on the 2nd Weds- December
14th.

---------

12/10: CA Green Party General Assembly Meeting at UC Davis

WHEN:
Saturday, December 10 to Sunday, December 11
8:00 AM to 5:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
The General Assembly of the Green Party of California is where
delegates from the county chapters make decisions for the party. There
are also important committee meetings.

Come meet Green Party members from across the state, participate in
discussions, and learn about the workings of the state party. Meetings
will be held all during the day starting at 8 am.

For more info, go to: http://www.cagreens.org/plenary/ Hosted by UC
Davis and Yolo County Green Parties

---------

12/14: SF Green Party General Membership/ Holiday Party

WHEN:
Wednesday, December 14
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Join us for a very short GM meeting followed by a pot luck holiday get
together.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Campaign to End the Death Penalty Action Alert: Save Stan Tookie
Williams!

THE CLOCK IS TICKING... Stop the execution of Stan Tookie Williams!

There are only 15 days left to save Stan Tookie Williams, the
California death row prisoner who is scheduled to be executed on
December 13. People around the country are taking action to stop the
execution of Stan Tookie Williams.

Send a free fax to Governor Schwarzenegger insisting that he save Stan
Tookie Williams:

http://local-impact.org/current.html#tookie

Until December 13, Bay Area Anti-Death Penalty Coalition/Save Tookie
Committee will send out a regular action alert to report on events held
in support of Stan, let people know about efforts currently underway,
and how you can get involved today.  If you or your group have an event
to report about, or activities planned, please e-mail
marlene at nodeathpenalty.org.

For more information about Stan, see:

  - http://www.savetookie.org/
  - http://www.nodeathpenalty.org/
  - http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1403

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

==============================

JOKE OF THE WEEK:

DEAR ABBY:

My husband has a long record of money problems. He runs up huge credit
card bills. At the end of the month, if I try to pay them off, he
shouts at me, saying I am stealing his money. He says pay the minimum,
and let our kids worry about the rest, but already we can hardly keep
up with the interest.

Also he has been so arrogant and abusive toward our neighbors that most
of them no longer speak to us. The few that do are an odd bunch, to
whom he has been giving a lot of expensive gifts, running up our bills
even more.

Also, he has gotten religious in a big way, although I don't quite
understand it. One week he hangs out with Catholics and the next with
people who say the Pope is the Anti-Christ.

And now he has been going to the gym an awful lot and is into wearing
uniforms and cowboy outfits, and I hate to think what that means.

Finally, the last straw. He's demanding that before anyone can be in
the same room with him, they must sign a loyalty oath. It's just so
horribly creepy.

Can you help?

Signed, Lost in DC

DEAR LOST:

Stop whining, Laura. You can divorce the jerk any time you want. The
rest of us are stuck with him for the next three years.