[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Oct 13 18:24:23 PDT 2005

SFGP WEEKLY

For The Week of 10/13/05 - 10/20/05
This Week:
News:
10/2: WiFi For the People?
10/7: A Crisis of Biblical Proportions
10/8: Waging Battle With State’s Pay Standard (With Barry Hermanson)
10/12: Ross Mirkarimi in 7x7 Magazine
10/12: End of the Road
Events:
10/13: Music by Greens Chuck and Liz Gonzalez- Lines In Analog Sound at the
Rickshaw Stop
10/14: So How'd You Become An Activist? With Matt Gonzalez
10/15: 5th Annual Educators Conference: "Teaching for Social Justice: An Act
of Revolution"
10/15: Music With A Mission
10/15: College Not Combat Fundraiser
10/16: Poor People's March
10/16: Ross and Friends Phonebanking Night
10/17 and 10/19: Fundraising Phone Banking
10/19: Vote 2005 Open House
10/19: SFGP General Membership Meeting
Announcements:
Joke of the Week
Early Voting Open At City Hall
Become A Sustainer!
News
*********************
10/2: WiFi For the People?
10/02/05
By: John Rizzo

"Underdog" Newsom Fights for the Poor
At a Monday press conference, Mayor Gavin Newsom vowed to fight lawsuits in
defense of his plan to provide free city-wide Wi Fi Internet access. Newsom
said one of his motivations was to give the underprivileged access to 802.11
wireless networking, which he called a "fundamental right."
"This is a civil rights issue as much as anything else," Newsom said. Given
the low place that the poor received in Newsom's budget priorities, this
statement may be the most extreme "let-them-eat-cakeism" that he's ever come
up with. And given the number of misleading statements in his press
conference, one would have thought it came straight out of the Bush
administration.

Read more at: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1389
10/7: A Crisis of Biblical Proportions
By Amanda Griscom Little
Grist Magazine
A pro-Bush but eco-conscious evangelical launches a crusade against global
warming.
Polluters will have to answer to God, not just government, says Richard
Cizik. Vice president of governmental affairs for the National Association
of Evangelicals, Cizik is a pro-Bush Bible-brandishing reverend zealously
opposed to abortion, gay marriage and embryonic stem-cell research. He is
also on a mission to convert tens of millions of Americans to the cause of
conservation, using a right-to-life framework. Cizik has been crisscrossing
the United States in recent months, spreading the doctrine of "creation
care" to evangelical Christians.
Read more at: http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/100705G.shtml
10/8: Waging Battle With State’s Pay Standard (With Barry Hermanson)
By: Jennifer Coleman
Source: Associated Press

SACRAMENTO — A coalition of labor and social welfare groups is proposing
ballot initiatives to raise the state’s minimum wage, a reaction to Gov.
Arnold Schwarzenegger’s vetoes of wage bills the past two years.
Californians for Fair Wages is pushing two proposals to raise the minimum
wage from the current $6.75 an hour. One would phase in an increase by
raising the hourly wage to $7.25 in 2007 and $7.75 a year later, with future
increases pegged to inflation.

Read more at: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1388
10/12: Ross Mirkarimi in 7x7 Magazine

District 5 Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi is featured in 7x7 Magazine this month
in a full page article with the headline "Green Power".

The article is not available online, but you can see mention of it in this
table of contents:
http://www.7x7mag.com/
10/12: End of the Road
Will a compromise ballot measure finally end the long war over cars in
Golden Gate Park?
By Cameron Scott

Even as the grand reopening of a rebuilt de Young Museum takes place to
great fanfare and anticipation, there is still one final chapter to be
written in a long and sordid saga that has pitted powerful museum patrons
against the more purist users of Golden Gate Park, those who have been
working to minimize the impact of automobiles on this urban oasis.
Read more at: http://www.sfbg.com/40/02/news_road.html
***********************************
Events
***********************************
10/13: 10/13: Music by Greens Chuck and Liz Gonzalez- Lines In Analog Sound
at the Rickshaw Stop
Thursday, October 13th
155 Fell St.
9pm
$7

Ride the Blinds
Dale Lawrence solo (of Vulgar Boatmen)
Lines in Analog Sound

LINES IN ANALOG SOUND is one of San Francisco's most compelling post-indie
rock
bands. Their "space rock" sound revels in a combination of electronic
effects
and lyrical softness. Their sound is melodic and electric with infectious
hooks
that offer a hint of sexual abandon and a rebelliousness that is found in
the
heart of the San Francisco Mission music scene.
www.linesinanalogsound.com
10/14: So How'd You Become An Activist? With Matt Gonzalez
Friday, October 14th
New College (777 Valencia St., bet. 18th and 19th St., SF)
7:00pm
Donation $5 (Students $3)

Join Matt Gonzalez, Green Party Activist, and Leila Salazar, Campaign
Organizer at AmazonWatch, for this monthly series in which local activists
share their experience and influences that helped them become effective
forces for change- also discussing, "So What Do We Do Now?"
10/15: 5th Annual Educators Conference: "Teaching for Social Justice: An Act
of Revolution"
Saturday, October 15th
9:00AM- 2:00PM
Mission High School, 18th and Church Street, SF

Teachers 4 Social Justice Present:
Conference 2005
5th Annual Educators Conference: "Teaching for Social Justice: An Act of
Revolution"

When: Saturday, October 15, 2005, 9am-4pm
Where: Mission High School, 18th and Church Street, SF
Who: Teachers and educators from the Bay Area and beyond
Why: To explore empowering learning environments through curriculum and
practice and to provide a forum for networking and community building.

SCHEDULE AND WORKSHOPS

REGISTER TO ATTEND 2005 CONFERENCE

Want to TABLE at the T4SJ Conference '05?

http://t4sj.org/
Come party at the el Rio with:

Delightfully Isolated (With your favorite greens:
Matt,Chuck, & Whitney)

Sid Luscious & the Pants (www.SidLuscious.com)

Desoto Reds (www.DesotoReds.com)

Afterwards, join the San Francisco Green Party at the College Not Combat
Fundraiser!!
10/15: College Not Combat Fundraiser
Saturday, October 15th
Women's Building 3543 18th St. #8, SF
7:30PM- 11:00PM

Join peace and counter recruitment activists for a fun filled evening of
swing/square dancing to the bluegrass legends the Stairwell Sisters.

for more info, go to: http://www.collegenotcombat.org/
10/16: Poor People's March
Poor People’s March
Sunday, October 16
11:30am- 5:00pm
11:30 a.m. – Assemble at 16th St. and Mission
12 noon– March to Horace Mann Middle School (3351 – 23rd Street, San
Francisco)
lunch provided – free admission

At 11:30 a.m. on October 16, the Poor People’s March will assemble at 16th
Street and Mission Street in San Francisco.  The demands of the march are
Living Wage Jobs, Universal Health Care, Affordable Housing, Quality
Education, and Progressive Taxation of Corporations and the Wealthy.  We
will march up Mission Street to Horace Mann Middle School on 23rd Street,
between Mission and Valencia, where we will hold a Low-wage Workers
Community Congress.  At the Congress, we will discuss the issues that are
impacting the lives of working people and provide training they need for
the oncoming political and labor struggles. The Poor People’s March and
Low-wage Workers Community Congress will generate urgency on the ground to
turn-out working people for the November special election.

You can help make this demonstration of workers’ power a huge success by
participating in the March as a contingent with your banner, signs or
flags.  We also are asking you to sponsor or endorse the March.
Sponsorships are $100, $250, $500, $1000 and larger commitments.
Endorsements are $25 or $50.  Sponsors and endorsers will be listed on
posters and the program.  This is the only source of revenues to pay the
expenses for the March and Congress.  Please make out checks to the San
Francisco Living Wage Coalition.

For more information, call the San Francisco Living Wage Coalition at
(415) 863-5543; fax (415) 863-5543; email sflivingwage at gmail.com, 522
Valencia St. #1, San Francisco, CA  94110
Ross and Friends Phonebanking Night
Sunday, October 16th
4:00-7:00 pm
United Health Care Workers
1338 Mission St., 2nd Floor

With the November 8th Special Election, Arnold Schwarzenegger is bringing
the Karl Rove right-wing agenda to California.  His propositions threaten a
woman's right to choose, a worker's right to organize and will bring
devestating cuts to education and health care.

Schwarzenegger is bringing in Republican operatives from across the country
to increase conservative turnout in California.  It is critical that we in
San Francisco work twice as hard and double the expected voter turnout in
order to counter-act these efforts.  If we all work together, we can defeat
these dangerous propositions.

Join Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi as we call San Franciscans and tell the truth
about the Special Election.
10/17 and 10/19: Fundraising Phone Banking
Monday, October 17th and Wednesday, October 19th
6:00PM- 9:00PM
1028A Howard St. (SFGP Office)

Help us raise money to mail out our slate card. Experienced fundraisers will
lead phone calling out of the Green Party Office. New volunteers welcome...
we'll teach you how to do it!
10/19: Vote 2005! Open House
Wednesday, October 19th
3:00pm- 5:30pm

The Department of Elections Open House is a great opportunity to get a
first-hand look at voting processes. On October 19th, come to attend one of
the Department's events:

VIEW A DEMONSTRATION OF THE "EAGLE" OPTICAL SCAN VOTING TECHNOLOGY

TOUR THE DEPARTMENT OF ELECTIONS
Take a tour of key operations in the Department of Elections.

LEARN WHAT VOTERS NEED TO KNOW TO MAKE THEIR VOTES COUNT
Review the sample ballot for the November 8, 2005 Consolidated Special
Statewide Election.

LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RESOURCES THE DEPARTMENT OF ELECTIONS HAS TO OFFER
Candidates and campaigns may use the flyers, posters and staff resources of
the Department to educate supporters about what is new for voters in San
Francisco.

RCV WORKSHOP
Learn more about new voting method, Ranked Choice Voting, to be used in the
upcoming November Election.

For more information, contact:
Valeri Shilov
Campaign Services Division
S.F. Department of Elections
(415) 554-4376
valeri.shilov at sfgov.org
10/19: SFGP General Membership Meeting
Wednesday, October 19th
7:30PM- 9:30PM
1028A Howard St. (SFGP Office)

Monthly meeting of the active members of the Green Party. All policy
decisions and endorsements are made at the GM. Please contact the County
Council if you would like to have an item added to the GM agenda.
cc at greens.org
*************************
Announcements:
*************************
Joke of the Week

Moral Dilemma:
(submitted by Christine McClintock)
This test only has one question, but it's a very important one. By
giving an honest answer, you will discover where you stand morally. No one
else will know, so you won't be fooling anyone but yourself if you give
anything but a truthful answer.

The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation in which You
will have to make a decision. Remember, your answer needs to be honest, Yet
spontaneous. Please read slowly and thoughtfully, giving due Consideration
to each line.

Here's the situation:

You are in Louisiana; New Orleans to be specific. There is chaos all around
you caused by a hurricane with severe flooding. This is a flood of Biblical
proportions. You are a photojournalist working for a major newspaper, and
you're caught in the middle of this epic disaster.

The situation is nearly hopeless. You're trying to shoot career-making
photos. There are houses and people swirling around you, some
disappearing under the water. Nature is unleashing all of its destructive
fury. Suddenly you see a man floundering in the water. He is fighting for
his life, trying not to be taken down with the debris.

You move closer...somehow the man looks familiar. You suddenly realize who
it is. It's George W. Bush, President of the United States!! At the same
time you notice that the raging waters are about to take him
under...forever. You have two options - you can save the life of G.W. Bush,
or you can shoot a dramatic Pulitzer Prize winning photo, documenting the
death of one of the world's most powerful men.

So here's the question, and please give an honest answer:

Would you select high-contrast color film, or would you go with the classic
simplicity of black and white?

Two Limericks
>From Madeline Begun Kane
http://www.madkane.com/notable.html
10/6/05

Bush Named The Unqualified Miers
By Madeleine Begun Kane

Bush named the unqualified Miers
To the Court when O'Connor retires.
Her only credential?
She's Dub reverential.
And that should raise Democrats' ires.

Bush Debased
By Madeleine Begun Kane

Many folks in Dubya's base
Greet Miers with a frown.
They say she's just a crony,
Who Dub picked cause he is down.

Wanting right-wing nominees
With creds quite clearly sound.
Instead they got a cipher,
A blank slate who'd kiss Dub's crown.

Soothing words I have for them,
Before in tears they drown.
Be glad she's not a moron,
And that Dub didn't pick Mike Brown.
Early Voting Open At City Hall

For those of you who wish to vote early, the polls at City Hall in San
Francisco are now open.  Voting will take place during normal buisness hours
at 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlet Pl. (City Hall), San Francisco, CA.  Please go
to the Elections Department in the basement to find the polling place.  If
you are not registered yet, voter regestration will be open until Nov. 2nd.

Remember, vote early, vote every election!
Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining donors --
175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double that figure, and
you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make a regular
contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free us up
to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through the
democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep our
office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including the
successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

Online: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Phone: 415-701-7090