[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 2/4-2/10

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Feb 2 23:42:26 PST 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 2/4/06-2/10/06

NEWS:
  - 1/31: Cindy Sheehan Arrested at Capitol
  - 1/31: Cindy Sheehan and Lesser-Evil Politics
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1445)
  - 1/31: Green Party Candidates to Speak at UC Davis
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1446)
  - 1/31: Clean Money Act Includes Input from Susan King and Other
Greens
(http://www.berkeleydaily.org/article.cfm?issue=01-06-06&storyID=23139)
  - 2/1: Public Financing for Mayoral Election Approved by Committee
(http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2006/02/02/news/
20060202_ne07_public.txt)
  - 2/1: VIDEOS: Greens' Rebuttals to Bush and Dems on State of the
Union Address (http://gp.org/video/2006stateofunion/)

EVENTS:
  - 2/4: Senator Feinstein Must Go! Todd Chretien Discusses
  - 2/6: Campaigns and Candidates Working Group
  - 2/8: SFGP County Council
  - 2/9: FIG Open House-Pot Luck, All Green Women Invited
  - 2/9: FILM: Waging a Living
  - 2/13: Media Committee Meeting
  - 2/15: SFGP General Membership Meeting
  - 2/16: Animal Advocacy Working Group

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Filing Period for County Council Candidates 2/13-3/10 (for details,
see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1435)
  - 2006 General Membership Survey
  - Public Financing for the Mayor's Race: We Need Your Help!
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - State of the Union Address
    Quicktime: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/presaddress2.shtml
    Windows Media Player:
http://jaypenguin150.podomatic.com/entry/2006-01-31T21_15_08-08_00

NEWS:

1/31: Cindy Sheehan Arrested at Capitol

Cindy Sheehan went to the Capitol to see the State of the Union
Address. She was arrested just after she took her seat, by the same
officer who helped her there after she showed her ticket. His name was
Mike Weight.

He yelled "Protestor," then hauled her out of Congress and handcuffed
her after he saw her T-shirt when she was taking off her jacket, which
said: 2245 Dead. How many more?

Cindy spent the next four hours in two jails, then was released.

She said that she was never told she couldn't wear that T-shirt in
Congress.

==============================

EVENTS:

2/4: Senator Feinstein Must Go! Todd Chretien Discusses

WHEN:
Saturday, February 4
5:00PM-7:30PM

WHERE:
Women's Building
3543 18th Street, San Francisco

DETAILS:
As many know, Cindy Sheehan spoke about running against Diane Feinstein
at the World Social Forum in Venezuela.

Unlike Sheehan, Feinstein supports the Patriot Act, the death penalty,
and the Iraq war; and is against gay marriage, silently condones the
attack on women's rights, and blames immigrant workers for California's
problem.

Come hear Todd Chretien, Green Party candidate for U.S. Senate, explain
how he will represent us and join the Million Votes for Peace campaign.

This will bring enormous attention to the Senate Campaign in California.

Speakers include:
- Peter Camejo, Green Party - Vice Presidential Candidate 2004
- Barbara Becnel, Save Tookie Coalition, Co-author with Stanley Tookie
Williams
- Nativo Lopez, President - Mexican American Political Association
(MAPA)

---------

2/6: Campaigns and Candidates Working Group

WHEN:
Monday, February 6
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
This meeting will focus on developing candidate questionnaires for
Green candidates on the June 6, 2006 ballot: Governor, Lt. Governor,
Treasurer, Controller, Attorney General, Superintendent of Public
Instruction, Insurance Commissioner, US Senate, US Congress District 8,
Assembly District 12.

---------

2/8: SFGP County Council

WHEN:
Wednesday, February 8
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
We will discuss business items, finalize the active membership roster
for 2006 and set the agenda for the Feb. General Membership.

Please email agenda items to : cc at sfgreens.org

---------

2/9: FIG Open House-Pot Luck, All Green Women Invited

WHEN:
Thursday, February 9
Starts 7:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Bring your favorite munchie to share and join with the Women of the
Green Party to set our goals, speak our minds, and work together.  This
year is critical for us to have a strong, cohesive working group.
Whether you have worked in the Feminist Interest Group (FIG) before or
not, take this opportunity to meet other Green Women and set the agenda
for what promises to be a challenging time ahead.

---------

2/9: Waging a Living

WHEN:
Thursday, February 9
7:00PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
Bayanihan House
1010 Mission Street (at 6th Street), San Francisco

COST:
FREE FOR SOMA RESIDENTS!
$5-20 sliding scale
proceeds to benefit SOMCAN.
www.somcan.org

CONTACT:
call SOMCAN: 415/348-1945
Or see: http://www.pppdocs.com/walsynopsis.html

DETAILS:
Please join SOMCAN at this special community screening and discussion
of the documentay "Waging a Living."

This film exposes the truth about America’s working poor and their
daily struggle to wage a living.

Jerry Longoria, a graduate of somcan's organzing internship, is
featured in this film and will lead a discussion following the
screening.

---------

2/13: Media Committee Meeting

WHEN:
Monday, February 13
Starts 7PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
All Green Party members are welcome to attend.

For more information, contact Erika McDonald at erikasf at aol.com.

---------

2/15: SFGP General Membership Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, February 15
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
So far, agenda items inlcude a decision about SFGP chartered
Neighborhood Groups making their own endorsements in elections.

Please email agenda item suggestions to: cc at sfgreens.org

---------

2/16: Animal Advocacy Working Group

WHEN:
Thursday, February 16
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly meeting of the Animal Working Group. We will discuss animal
issues in San Francisco.

For more information, email Rosalind Lord at rclord at seaserpent.com

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

2006 General Membership Survey

The County Council is conducting a survey of San Francisco Green Party
members to get your opinion on several issues to help us plan and set
goals for the party in 2006.  Results will be discussed at a future
General Meeting.  You can get a copy of the survey online at the
following link, and respond to us by email:

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1464

---------

Public Financing for the Mayor's Race: We Need Your Help!

On Tuesday October 25, Green Party Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi,
representing a broad-based coalition, introduced legislation that
could forever change the way politics is done in San Francisco:

With public financing, the public helps fund the campaigns of
candidates who can demonstrate a wide base of community support by
collecting a large number of small donations. In exchange candidates
agree to a strict spending cap, and to limit their private
fundraising.

The idea is to make politicians accountable only to the public, rather
than private campaign donors, and to ensure that all serious
candidates, regardless of access to money, have enough resources to
get their message out to the voters.

To make this legislation happen, please do two things:

1. Write or call the Supervisors to encourage their support (they need
hear this from as many people as possible); and
2. Ask your friends to do the same.

Sample letters and contact information for the Supervisors can be
found at http://www.voterownedelections.org/contact_supervisors.html

To learn more about the campaign visit www.voterownedelections.org or
call 415-596-5808.

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html