[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 2/11-2/17

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Feb 9 22:52:38 PST 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 2/11/06-2/17/06

  - 2/3: Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan Launches "Car-Free Talk"
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1447)
  - 2/6: Public financing Measure Designed to Level Playing Field
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/
2006/02/06/MNGVOH3G821.DTL)
  - 2/8: Sue Vaughan Profiled in BeyondChron!
(http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=2922)
  - 2/8: SF Supervisors Approve Public Financing for Mayoral Races
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/02/08/
BAG3SH4R6R1.DTL,
http://sfexaminer.com/articles/2006/02/08/news/20060208_ne03_board.txt)
  - 2/8: SF Chronicle's Police Brutality Stories
(http://www.sfusualsuspects.com/, scroll to Wednesday's Headlines:
Chron Police Series)
  - 2/9: Mark Crispin Miller Connects the Dots on Election Problems
(http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/06/02/int06005.html)
  - 2/9: Cindy Sheehan Decides Not to Run Against Diane Feinstein
(http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/020906Y.shtml)

EVENTS:
  - 2/10: Celebrate the 55th birthday of Barry Hermanson
  - 2/13: Media Committee Meeting
  - 2/15: SFGP General Membership Meeting
  - 2/16: Animal Advocacy Working Group
  -  3/4: 21st Annual Empowering Women of Color Conference

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Thank SF Chronicle for Good Coverage of SF Police Brutality!
  - Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group
  - Filing Period for County Council Candidates 2/13-3/10 (for details,
see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1435)
  - 2006 General Membership Survey
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Expose Exxon (http://www.exxposeexxon.com/movie/)

EVENTS:

2/10: Celebrate the 55th birthday of Barry Hermanson

WHEN:
Friday, February 10
6:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
2467 28th Avenue, (south of Taraval), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Barry was a leader in the successful local minimum wage campaign of
2003, and now he is spearheading the drive for a statewide raise in the
minimum wage plus COLA. Barry is also running for the 12th Assembly
District.

---------

2/13: Media Committee Meeting

WHEN:
Monday, February 13
Starts 7PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
All Green Party members are welcome to attend.

For more information, contact Erika McDonald at erikasf at aol.com.

---------

2/15: SFGP General Membership Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, February 15
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
So far, agenda items inlcude a decision about SFGP chartered
Neighborhood Groups making their own endorsements in elections.

Please email agenda item suggestions to: cc at sfgreens.org

---------

2/16: Animal Advocacy Working Group

WHEN:
Thursday, February 16
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly meeting of the Animal Working Group. We will discuss animal
issues in San Francisco.

For more information, email Rosalind Lord at rclord at seaserpent.com

---------

21st Annual Empowering Women of Color Conference

WHEN:
Saturday, March 4
Registration 8:30-9:30AM
Conference starts 9:30 AM

WHERE:
UC Berkeley campus in Barrows Hall. Barrows Hall is accessible from
Bancroft Way between Telegraph Ave and Bowditch St, northeast from
Sproul Hall. Wheelchair accessible.

INFORMATION, HOW TO REGISTER: Pre-register online at
http://ewocc.berkeley.edu starting February 5th or in-person on the day
of the event beginning at 8 a.m in Barrows Hall.

DETAILS:
This year marks the 21st anniversary of the Empowering Women of Color
Conference (EWOCC), which is acknowledged to be the longest running
women of color conference in the country. Past speakers have included
Nikki Giovanni, bell hooks, Angela Davis, Alice Walker, and Sonia
Sanchez, among many others.

This year's theme will be Nourishing Mother E.A.R.T.H, or environmental
justice. Featured will be Dr. Beverly Wright, Founder and Director of
the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice at Xavier University
located in New Orleans, Louisiana, and a panel of five amazing
environmental justice women of color activists:

  - Enei Begaye, Diné (Navajo) with the Black Mesa Water Coalition,
Native Movement Collective, and Indigenous Environmental Network
  - Dr. Jenice View, Education and Train! ing Director of Just
Transition Alliance
  - Sarah James, Board Member of the Gwich’in Institute
  - Dr. Ann Aurelia López, Professor at the University of California,
Berkeley, Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management
  - Carla M. Perez, Community Organizer for Contra Costa Communities for
a Better Environment.

There will also be workshops, cultural performances, and much, much
more.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Thank SF Chronicle for Good Coverage of SF Police Brutality!

The police misconduct detailed in the Chronicle stories were no
surprise to  local activists, who have heard about many of these
incidents before.  The SF stories (see "SF Chronicle's Police Brutality
Stories")  show how  in a "liberal" and "progressive" San Francisco,
many residents, particularly people-of-color, have endured abuse at the
  hands of local officials without ever getting justice.

Send letters thanking the Chronicle to letters at sfchronicle.com.

---------

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Hermn of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman at ...
or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

---------

2006 General Membership Survey

The County Council is conducting a survey of San Francisco Green Party
members to get your opinion on several issues to help us plan and set
goals for the party in 2006.  Results will be discussed at a future
General Meeting.  You can get a copy of the survey online at the
following link, and respond to us by email:

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1464

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html