[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 7/20-7/26

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Jul 19 00:27:13 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 7/20/06-7/26/06

NEWS:
- Krissy Keefer challenges House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to a
Debate (http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=3467#more)
- YouTube Users Go Political (http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/
topnews/wpn-60-20060711YouTubeUsersGoPolitical.html)
- Ammiano's Health Care Plan is Fair; Editorial by Green Party
Candidate for Assembly District 12 Barry Hermanson (http://
www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=1077&catid=4)
- Big Oil lobbyists stall bills in Legislature that industry opposes
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1506)

EVENTS:
This week:
- 6/29-7/22: Terry Baum in “BAUM FOR PEACE or How I Learned to Stop
Worrying & Love Democracy”
- 7/19: General Membership Meeting
- 7/21: Protest US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales!
- 7/21: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi's July Art Opening
- 7/22: Protest at Bohemian Grove!
Next week:
- 7/25: DJ Superchill Hosts Krissy Keefer
- 7/26: MOVIE NIGHT: WalMart - the High Cost of Low Price
- 7/28: Peak Oil Hearing
- 7/28: Bay Area Coalition for Reproductive Rights Meeting
- 7/28: Krissy for Congress House Party
Save the date:
- 7/28-30: 7th Annual Northern California Green Campout
- 7/29: Geary BRT Town Hall Meeting
- 8/05: Impeach George Bush!
- 8/06: Green Party Candidate Michael Berg is Honored by World
Forgiveness Alliance

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan
- Counter the Right-Wing "Walk for Life!"

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Left Talk with Diamond Dave!
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
- Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- Absolutely No Accountability (http://www.bushflash.com/yt12.html)

EVENTS:

6/29-7/22: Terry Baum in “BAUM FOR PEACE or How I Learned to Stop
Worrying & Love Democracy”

WHEN:
June 29-7/22, 2006
8:00PM

WHERE:
The Marsh
1062 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110

ADMISSION:
$15 - $22 sliding scale, $10 student rush on Thursday at the door

"Baum for Peace" Special for Bay Area peace activists!
When you call for tickets, just use the codeword "peace," and get
tickets half-price -- $7.00!

CONTACT, INFORMATION
Tel. 415 826 5750

DETAILS:
The Marsh presents slightly world-renowned lesbian playwright Terry
Baum in “BAUM FOR PEACE or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Love
Democracy.” This new comedy describes Baum’s adventures as the Green
candidate for U.S. Congress in San Francisco in 2004 during which she
received the highest percentage of the vote of any small-party write-
in candidate for Congress in history: 2.9%! Inspired to run because
she believed that San Franciscans deserved a peace candidate, Baum
faced impossible odds, beginning with a fight to get her name on the
ballot. Accompanied by Scrumbly Koldewyn on the piano, she uses
farce, song and self-mockery to take the audience on a wild journey
through electoral politics that is up-close and personal, hilarious,
infuriating and always surprising. “BAUM FOR PEACE” is directed by
Bobbi Ausubel, with songs by David Hyman and Scrumbly Koldewyn.

Lauded as “the lesbian Woody Allen” by the San Francisco Chronicle,
Terry Baum has had her plays produced in 11 countries and five
languages. When “BAUM FOR PEACE” played in Ashland, Oregon, reviews
described it as “Just the ticket for laughs” and “A compelling story
told with warm-hearted wit.” Critics have compared Baum to Norman
Mailer, Lily Tomlin, Spalding Gray, Eve Arden, Hunter Thompson, and
Godzilla – although never in the same review.

---------

7/19: General Membership Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday July 19, 2006
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard Street (between 6th
and 7th Streets), San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
For agenda go to:
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1582

---------

7/21: Protest US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales!

WHEN:
Friday July 21, 2006
7:00AM

WHERE:
In front of the restaurant Medjool, 2522 Mission Street, between 20th
and 21st Streets, San Francisco

DETAILS:
Bring your signs and some coffee!

U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, a champion of torture and
civil rights violations, is coming to San Francisco on Friday morning
(July 21, 2006) to promote President Bush's inhumane immigration
reform proposal - a plan that promises to increase the humanitarian
crisis at the border and create abusive temporary jobs for migrants.

Gonzales will be speaking to the San Francisco Hispanic Chamber of
Commerce and its partner organizations at Medjool, before speaking at
the Santa Clara Marriott at an event hosted by the Commonwealth
Club.  Join us this Friday to say no to the inhumane treatment of
immigrants and to demand that Gonzales and Bush administration begin
listening to immigrant communities.  We want legalization with
rights, not more deaths at the border and programs that lead to
workplace abuse!

For more information, contact the Bay Area Immigrant Rights Coalition
at 510-839-7598.

---------

7/21: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi July Art Opening

WHEN:
Friday July 21, 2006
5:00PM-8:00PM
Show runs through August 16th, 2006

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 282

DETAILS:
Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi hosts art opening featuring the photography
James Sanbonmatsu to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Code
Enforcement Outreach Program (CEOP).

James Sanbonmatsu, Code Enforcement Outreach Program Coordinator,
documents the often startlingly unsafe conditions of some rental
units in San Francisco, and illustrates the CEOP’s work of ensuring
safe housing in our city through code enforcement.

Many of James’ photographs were featured in the Gallery of Social and
Political Art in the City of Boston, a gallery whose mission it is to
showcase concerns about social justice.

Please join Supervisor Mirkarimi in congratulating the City
Departments and non-profit agencies comprising the CEOP on their
first 10 years of excellent  service to San Francisco’s tenants and
rental property owners.

Free and Open to all Members of the Public.

---------

7/22: Protest at Bohemian Grove!

WHEN:
July 22, 2006
8:00PM

WHERE:
Monte Rio on the Russian River, Sonoma County, CA

CONTACT, INFORMATION:
http://www.sonomacountyfreepress.com and click on Bohemian Grove, or
call 707-874-2248 or 415-567-4577

RIDES:
BUS RIDES AVAILABLE FOR $25 ROUND TRIP FROM SAN FRANCISCO WHILE THEY
LAST!!
CALL 415-821-6545

DETAILS:
Green Party is joining with ANSWER Coalition, Bohemian Grove Action
Network, United Farm Workers and many others to Greet the Elite at
Bohemian Grove

Give them the message:

End the Occupation of Iraq and military intervention in the Middle
East Justice for Immigrants End Corporate Energy Policy which
supports oil and nuclear and works against renewable energy Impeach
the Bohemians! ((Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and many others are members
or regular guests)

Saturday, July 22, in Monte Rio, Sonoma County Hwy 116 West of
Guerneville.

1 P.M. Rally at parking lot across from the Rio Theater
2 P.M. March to grove gate
3-9 P.M.-  Food, Speakers, entertainment, networking at Monte Rio
Amphitheater, off the main street of town across from Bartlett's Deli
and behind the Pink Elephant Bar-  Hosted by Sonoma County Green Party

---------

7/25: DJ Superchill Hosts Krissy Keefer

WHEN:
July 25, 2006
8:00PM - midnight

WHERE:
Lazlo's, 2534 Mission Street, San Francisco

CONTACT, INFORMATION:
For more information, contact krissyforcongress at yahoo.com.

DETAILS:
DJ Superchill (AKA Chuck Gonzalez) hosts congressional candidate
Krissy Keefer at the Lazlo's.  Meet Krissy and find out why she is
running for Congress as if her life depended on it.

---------

7/26: MOVIE NIGHT: WalMart - the High Cost of Low Price

WHEN:
July 26, 2006
7:00PM - 9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard Street (between 6th
and 7th Streets), San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Please join us for our monthly (free) movie screening of "Wal-Mart:
The high cost of low price."

---------

7/28: Peak Oil Hearing

WHEN:
Friday, July 28, 2006
2:00PM

WHERE:
LAFCo, City Hall, Room 250, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Sponsored by Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi.  RIchard Heinberg, author of
"The Party's Over" and "Powerdown," will be
testifying for 30 minutes, followed by questions.

---------

Friday, July 28, 2006
6:30PM

WHERE:
369 15th Street, between Franklin & Webster, Oakland, CA

DETAILS:
Discuss how to fight pro-life forces.

---------

Friday, July 28, 2006
8:00PM-12:00AM

WHERE:
37 Alpha Street, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Food, drinks, great conversation and dynamic political spoken word by
the candidate and her spiritual twin and political advisor, Guillermo
Gomez Pena.

Friends and allies come together to support Krissy's run for Congress.

Hosted by: Tim Keefe, Liz Lerma, Roxana Bowerman, Caroline Wallace,
Guillermo Gomez Pena, Jeff Jones, and 8th Congressional District
Candidate Krissy Keefer. Krissy Keefer for Congress! Krissy's in the
house! A party! We want you there! Find out more about Krissy and her
campaign at www.krissyforcongress.com

---------

7/28-30: 7th Annual Northern California Green Campout

WHEN:
July 28/29/30, Fri/Sat/Sun.
One may arrive as early as 'bout noon Friday, and stay until 'bout
sometime Sunday afternoon. Or come for the afternoon and/or evening.

WHERE:
'Dogwood camp' at Jenkinson Lake in the Sly Park Recreation Area,
Pollock Pines, CA

How to get there:
To find the main gate at Dogwood Camp, which closes at midnight:
- Take HWY. 50 from Sacramento east to & through Placerville (38 miles)
- Go forward through the three stoplights on HWY. 50 in Placerville.
- Continue east about 13 miles on 50 to the Sly Park exit (in Pollock
Pines).
- Take exit, turn right (south) onto Sly Park Road.
- Continue 4.3 miles to the Park entrance on your left.
- Dogwood camp is 3.4 (3.8?) miles straight into the park from the
Park entrance (go slow, this 3.4 miles has 234 sharp turns).
- The site (on left) has a sign: 'Dogwood'.  Something green will be
on the sign.

INFORMATION:
Call us at: 530.620.6659,  <thebor at cagreens.org> (email is OK, but
phone calls get answered quicker). Sly Park info: 530.644.2545,
530.644.2792 <www.eid.org>, <slypark at eid.org>

ADMISSION:
No reservations needed, room for almost 100.  Just arrive at main
gate, tell'em you're with the Green Party at Dogwood camp, pay $9.00
per car/per day. (if you come Friday & just pay for Friday night, it
remains unclear that you will be charged again for Saturday night)
Dogs are $2.00 ea., per day for any size dog.

DONATION:
GP El Dorado Co. will also accept a $10 donation per each adult
staying overnight (one or two nights just 10 bucks).  This donation
covers the cost of the site rental.  Any extra moneys can be donated
back to the counties or region, or expended on good beer.

If you need to save money, you can try our sliding scale.

DETAILS:
The 7th Annual Northern California Green Campout invites you to spend
the last weekend of July camping out next to beautiful El Dorado
National Forest, Northern California.

This campout is not just for Green Party folks, but also deep-green-
leaning friends, light green relatives, closet greens, and kids.

Come spend three days (or any portion of this time-frame) swimming,
hiking, tree sitting (under not in), boating/canoeing (bring your own
boat or canoe), fireside joke/song fest (voluntary), great fun-loving
greens, and...The Secret Tunnel (really!). GREAT weather guaranteed.

You may bring: Your food/beverage, tents, personal recreation stuff,
Kids of any age, dogs ON LEASH, acoustic instruments, Marshmallows
etc...

Dogwood Camp is a large campsite at the back of a large lake (9.5
miles around), and is bordered on the back by only the El Dorado
National Forest, which stretches from our site to the Nevada border.

We're a couple a hundred yards from the lake. You'll be in a tall
pine forest at 3518.2 feet elevation.

Car camping:
- The paved road goes almost right to the campsites.
- Great dirt, pine needles, soft forest floor to sleep on.
- Picnic tables, fire rings, BBQ's, plenty FRESH water await you.
- Fire wood can be purchased or scounged or each car bring 2 pieces...
- Lovely wooden outhouses w/ locking doors, cement floors, and vault
toilets.

FYIs:
- At HWY.50 & Sly Park Rd. at left (north) is a Safeway if you need
supplies. There is also a small store opposite the Park entrance.
- Along with NO meetings, the park also has NO showers. So bring
bathing suit, & if we must, we'll hose you off [bring hose].

Please join us.

Your hosts, Green Party of El Dorado Co.

---------

Saturday, July 29, 2006
12:00PM-2:00PM

WHERE:
Geary Boulevard, 450 30th Avenue, between Clement and Geary, San
Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Join Supervisor Jake McGoldrick and Mayor Gavin Newsom at the
Presidio Middles School to discuss Bus Rapid Transit. The Green Party
supports BRT on Geary and encourages people to turn out to speak up
in favor of it.

---------

8/05: Impeach George Bush!

WHEN:
Saturday, August 5, 2006
7:00PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
Dance Mission Theatre, 3316 24th Street at Mission, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Green Party congressional candidates Krissy Keefer and Michael Berg
unite in their call for the impeachment of George W. Bush. With Ross
Mirkarimi and others. Contact krissyforcongress for more information.

---------

Sunday, August 6, 2006
7:00PM-10:00PM

WHERE:
Angelico Hall, Dominican College, 50 Acacia Street, San Rafael, CA

INFORMATION:
www.forgivenessday.org

DETAILS:
Michael Berg, Green Party candidate for Congress in Wilmington,
Delaware, is honored by
the World Forgiveness Alliance. Also honored are Nadia McCaffrey, Kai
Harriot, and Tanya David.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

Keep an eye out for "Car-Free Talk" on San Francisco's public access
tv station,
Channel 29.  In the next show, David Fridley, staff scientist at
Lawrence Berkeley and member
of San Francisco Oil Awareness, discusses the myth of biofuels.

Date and time to be announced.

---------

Counter the Right-Wing "Walk for Life!"

Come to a Community Meeting to discuss how we will counter the Right
Wing "Walk for Life" coming to SF in January 2007. Please bring
yourself and your ideas to participate in building a forceful
resistance.

Date and location to be announced.

Please email the Bay Area Coalition for Reproductive Rigths at
bacorrinfo at riseup.net for more information or call 415-864-1278.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Left Talk with Diamond Dave!

Tune in to a round table discussion of progressive issues from the
Green perspective (represented by Diamond Dave Whitaker) and the ISO
perspective. 88.1 FM or 880 AM, every Friday from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30
p.m. Hosted by Spencer the Speaker.

---------

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
“The San Francisco Green Party” to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103