[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 7/27-8/2

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Jul 26 03:50:38 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 7/27/06-8/2/06

NEWS:
- Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Clarifies Rules on Sidewalk Tjjjjjjables
(http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/07/24/
EDGOBIPTS21.DTL, http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?
section=local&id=4374448)
- Resolution Aims to Stop Enforcement fo Ellis Act Evictions (http://
www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=3510#more)
- Green Party Candidate for Senate Todd Chretien Criticizes Senator
Feinstein's Support of Isreali attacks on Lebanon (http://
www.indybay.org/newsitems/2006/07/23/18290848.php?
show_comments=1#18290889, http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/
a/2006/07/24/BAG6GK4AKO1.DTL)

EVENTS:
This week:
- 7/26: Bay Area Coalition for Reproductive Rights Meeting
- 7/26: MOVIE NIGHT: WalMart - the High Cost of Low Price
- 7/27: Eyewitness Account of Clinic Defense in Jackson, Mississippi
- 7/28: Peak Oil Press Conference
- 7/28: Peak Oil Hearing
- 7/28: Krissy for Congress House Party
Next week:
- 7/28-30: 7th Annual Northern California Green Campout
- 7/29: Geary BRT Town Hall Meeting
- 8/1: Krissy Keefer Challenges Nancy Pelosi
- 8/3: Feminist Issues Group
Save the date:
- 8/05: Impeach George Bush!
- 8/06: Green Party Candidate Michael Berg is Honored by World
Forgiveness Alliance
- 8/9: Ceremony and Nonviolent Action at Bechtel Headquarters
- 8/23: Krissy Keefer at the Bazaar
- 9/10: Ready! Set! Go! Krissy Keefer Kicks Off Congressional Race

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan
- Counter the Right-Wing "Walk for Life!"

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Left Talk with Diamond Dave!
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
- Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- Uncle Sam On the River (http://www.moveleft.com/
uncle_sam_on_the_river_display.html)

EVENTS:

7/26: Bay Area Coalition for Reproductive Rights Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, July 28, 2006
6:30PM

WHERE:
369 15th Street, between Franklin & Webster, Oakland, CA

DETAILS:
Discuss how to fight pro-life forces.

---------

7/26: MOVIE NIGHT: WalMart - the High Cost of Low Price

WHEN:
July 26, 2006
7:00PM - 9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard Street (between 6th
and 7th Streets), San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Please join us for our monthly (free) movie screening of "Wal-Mart:
The high cost of low price."

---------

Thursday, July 27, 2006
6:15PM Dinner with vegetarian option for a $6.50 donation
7:00PM

WHERE:
New Valencia Hall, 1908 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA
One block from 16th/Mission BART and on the #14 and #49 MUNI bus lines

INFORMATION:
Call 415-864-1278 or email rwbayarea at yahoo.com

DETAILS:
Reproductive Freedom Summer: An Eyewitness Account of Clinic Defense
in Jackson, Mississippi Queer Chicana youth activist Norma Gallegos
will give a firsthand account of the latest national battle for
abortion rights and reproductive justice.

The only clinic to provide abortions in the entire state of
Mississippi is being targeted July 15-22 by “Operation Save
America” (formerly Operation Rescue), the Minutemen, and other far
rightwing religious zealots determined to overthrow a woman’s right
to control her own body.

Radical Women is joining activists from across the country to
organize reproductive rights actions in Jackson to combat this
offensive and defend the clinic staff and clients.

Help reinvigorate the movement to expand reproductive choice and
healthcare for all--regardless of race, sexuality, gender, income,
age or immigrant status.  Learn about grassroots planning to oppose
anti-choice legislation on the November ballot and protest the third
so-called “Walk for Life—West Coast” coming to San Francisco in
January 2007.

---------

Friday, July 28, 2006
1:30PM

WHERE:
Polk Street Side of City Hall, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Polk Street side of City Hall, with Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, Dave
Room of Energy Awareness, and members of San Francisco Oil
Awareness.  For more info, contact www.sfbayoil.org.

---------

7/28: Peak Oil Hearing

WHEN:
Friday, July 28, 2006
2:00PM

WHERE:
LAFCo, City Hall, Room 250, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Sponsored by Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi.  RIchard Heinberg, author of
"The Party's Over" and "Powerdown," will be testifying for 30
minutes, followed by questions.

---------

Friday, July 28, 2006
8:00PM-12:00AM

WHERE:
37 Alpha Street, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
With spoken word artist Guillermo Gomez Pena; hosted by Liz Lerma,
Caroline Wallace, Tim Keefe, Roxana Bowerman, and Jeff Jones.  If you
need transportation, please call ahead of time to (415) 835-4748 or e-
mail krissyforcongress at yahoo.com.  We will try to arrange
transportation or give you easy directions to the house party via
public transportation.

---------

7/28-30: 7th Annual Northern California Green Campout

WHEN:
July 28/29/30, Fri/Sat/Sun.
One may arrive as early as 'bout noon Friday, and stay until 'bout
sometime Sunday afternoon. Or come for the afternoon and/or evening.

WHERE:
'Dogwood camp' at Jenkinson Lake in the Sly Park Recreation Area,
Pollock Pines, CA

How to get there:
To find the main gate at Dogwood Camp, which closes at midnight:
- Take HWY. 50 from Sacramento east to & through Placerville (38 miles)
- Go forward through the three stoplights on HWY. 50 in Placerville.
- Continue east about 13 miles on 50 to the Sly Park exit (in Pollock
Pines).
- Take exit, turn right (south) onto Sly Park Road.
- Continue 4.3 miles to the Park entrance on your left.
- Dogwood camp is 3.4 (3.8?) miles straight into the park from the
Park entrance (go slow, this 3.4 miles has 234 sharp turns).
- The site (on left) has a sign: 'Dogwood'.  Something green will be
on the sign.

INFORMATION:
Call us at: 530.620.6659,  <thebor at cagreens.org> (email is OK, but
phone calls get answered quicker). Sly Park info: 530.644.2545,
530.644.2792 <www.eid.org>, <slypark at eid.org>

ADMISSION:
No reservations needed, room for almost 100.  Just arrive at main
gate, tell'em you're with the Green Party at Dogwood camp, pay $9.00
per car/per day. (if you come Friday & just pay for Friday night, it
remains unclear that you will be charged again for Saturday night)
Dogs are $2.00 ea., per day for any size dog.

DONATION:
GP El Dorado Co. will also accept a $10 donation per each adult
staying overnight (one or two nights just 10 bucks).  This donation
covers the cost of the site rental.  Any extra moneys can be donated
back to the counties or region, or expended on good beer.

If you need to save money, you can try our sliding scale.

DETAILS:
The 7th Annual Northern California Green Campout invites you to spend
the last weekend of July camping out next to beautiful El Dorado
National Forest, Northern California.

This campout is not just for Green Party folks, but also deep-green-
leaning friends, light green relatives, closet greens, and kids.

Come spend three days (or any portion of this time-frame) swimming,
hiking, tree sitting (under not in), boating/canoeing (bring your own
boat or canoe), fireside joke/song fest (voluntary), great fun-loving
greens, and...The Secret Tunnel (really!). GREAT weather guaranteed.

You may bring: Your food/beverage, tents, personal recreation stuff,
Kids of any age, dogs ON LEASH, acoustic instruments, Marshmallows
etc...

Dogwood Camp is a large campsite at the back of a large lake (9.5
miles around), and is bordered on the back by only the El Dorado
National Forest, which stretches from our site to the Nevada border.

We're a couple a hundred yards from the lake. You'll be in a tall
pine forest at 3518.2 feet elevation.

Car camping:
- The paved road goes almost right to the campsites.
- Great dirt, pine needles, soft forest floor to sleep on.
- Picnic tables, fire rings, BBQ's, plenty FRESH water await you.
- Fire wood can be purchased or scounged or each car bring 2 pieces...
- Lovely wooden outhouses w/ locking doors, cement floors, and vault
toilets.

FYIs:
- At HWY.50 & Sly Park Rd. at left (north) is a Safeway if you need
supplies. There is also a small store opposite the Park entrance.
- Along with NO meetings, the park also has NO showers. So bring
bathing suit, & if we must, we'll hose you off [bring hose].

Please join us.

Your hosts, Green Party of El Dorado Co.

---------

Saturday, July 29, 2006
12:00PM-2:00PM

WHERE:
Geary Boulevard, 450 30th Avenue, between Clement and Geary, San
Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Join Supervisor Jake McGoldrick and Mayor Gavin Newsom at the
Presidio Middles School to discuss Bus Rapid Transit. The Green Party
supports BRT on Geary and encourages people to turn out to speak up
in favor of it.

---------

8/1: Krissy Keefer Challenges Nancy Pelosi

INFORMATION:
Contact krissyforcongress at yahoo.com or call (415) 835-4748.

---------

8/3: Feminist Issues Group

WHEN:
Thursday, August 3, 2006
6:30PM

WHERE:
Wild Awakenings Cafe, 142 McAllister, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Meet our green women candidates and help with planning fundraising
and outreach efforts to support them in the november election. We now
have several fine women running for office-this is going to be a very
exciting election.

---------

8/05: Impeach George Bush!

WHEN:
Saturday, August 5, 2006
7:00PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
Dance Mission Theatre, 3316 24th Street at Mission, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Green Party congressional candidates Krissy Keefer and Michael Berg
unite in their call for the impeachment of George W. Bush. With Ross
Mirkarimi and others. Contact krissyforcongress for more information.

---------

Sunday, August 6, 2006
7:00PM-10:00PM

WHERE:
Angelico Hall, Dominican College, 50 Acacia Street, San Rafael, CA

INFORMATION:
www.forgivenessday.org

DETAILS:
Michael Berg, Green Party candidate for Congress in Wilmington,
Delaware, is honored by the World Forgiveness Alliance. Also honored
are Nadia McCaffrey, Kai Harriot, and Tanya David.

---------

8/9: Ceremony and Nonviolent Action at Bechtel Headquarters

Wednesday, August 9, 2006
10:00AM

WHERE:
Bechtel Corporate Headquarters, 50 Beale St, San Francisco, CA
Half a block from Embarcadero BART

DETAILS:
Join us for a morning of protest and a ceremony led by Western
Shoshone spiritual leader Corbin Harney at Bechtel’s Corporate
Headquarters. Bechtel is one of the top profiteers of the war in
Iraq, manages nearly every aspect of the nuclear weapons cycle, and
is known by communities worldwide for its habitual violations of
indigenous and human rights.

The anniversary of the U.S. bombing of Nagasaki, August 9, is also
the UN declared International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples.
Since their earliest stages, nuclear weapons and the people who
profit from them have caused untold suffering to indigenous peoples
around the world. Come and act with us to voice our support for the
sovereignty and dignity of indigenous peoples and call for an end to
nuclear weapons and war!

---------

Wednesday, August 23, 2006
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
Bazaar Cafe, 5927 California Street, between 21st and 22nd avenues,
San Francisco, CA

ADMISSION:
Free but a donation to Krissy's campaign is suggested.

DETAILS:
Congressional candidate Krissy Keefer, former congressional candidate
Terry Baum with performer/musician Scrumbly Koldewyn, and singer/
songwriter Austin Willacy and more, rock the Bazaar Cafe.

---------

Sunday, September 10, 2006
4:00PM

WHERE:
Medjool, 2522 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA

INFORMATION:
Contact krissyforcongress at yahoo.com or call (415) 835-4748.

DETAILS:
Hosted by Taiko drummers, Debbie Kajiyama, Jose Navarette, Amara
Tabor Smith, Ramon Alayo, Afro Cuban Modern Word.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

Keep an eye out for "Car-Free Talk" on San Francisco's public access
tv station,
Channel 29.  In the next show, David Fridley, staff scientist at
Lawrence Berkeley and member
of San Francisco Oil Awareness, discusses the myth of biofuels.

Date and time to be announced.

---------

Counter the Right-Wing "Walk for Life!"

Come to a Community Meeting to discuss how we will counter the Right
Wing "Walk for Life" coming to SF in January 2007. Please bring
yourself and your ideas to participate in building a forceful
resistance.

Date and location to be announced.

Please email the Bay Area Coalition for Reproductive Rigths at
bacorrinfo at riseup.net for more information or call 415-864-1278.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Left Talk with Diamond Dave!

Tune in to a round table discussion of progressive issues from the
Green perspective (represented by Diamond Dave Whitaker) and the ISO
perspective. 88.1 FM or 880 AM, every Friday from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30
p.m. Hosted by Spencer the Speaker.

---------

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
“The San Francisco Green Party” to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103